ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What raw mic cable to get  (Read 2435 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: What raw mic cable to get
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 08:36:38 am »

I read it about twenty years ago why?
Although itís written by canare, it looks legit. At first read it seems to indicate that Belden is not actually the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Riley Casey

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 10:09:27 am »

The Belden is 'best' on one criteria that wins over Canare and every other brand and style of mic cable I've ever used and that is durability.  Decades ago I started with Gotham mic cable as sold with Nuemann mics because well if it came with a U87 it had to be good.  It was used in recording studios, great stuff til you rolled over it with a case and then it was toast.  I've used the brown Belden cable that EV provided with their mics, the jacket would disintegrate around the shield.  I've used Canare as I noted before and it tends to split the jacket after a while although since I use it for short patch cords it's less of an issue.  I've bought out a couple of companies over the years and thus acquired an assortment of Whirlwind and Rapco mic cables much of which I still have in the B stock cable cases.  NONE of the mic cables I've used since the late 1970s has held up as well as Belden 8412.  Especially now that mic pre-amps are usually 50 ft away from the mics rather than 350 ft away the electrical performance of the cable really slips from importance in favor of reliability.  If I were doing location recording with a few channels of long run mic cables in symphony halls I'd certainly use the Canare but on big RnR stages with lots of traffic I'd much rather have the 8412.

Although itís written by canare, it looks legit. At first read it seems to indicate that Belden is not actually the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 10:53:59 am »

The Belden is 'best' on one criteria that wins over Canare and every other brand and style of mic cable I've ever used and that is durability.  Decades ago I started with Gotham mic cable as sold with Nuemann mics because well if it came with a U87 it had to be good.  It was used in recording studios, great stuff til you rolled over it with a case and then it was toast.  I've used the brown Belden cable that EV provided with their mics, the jacket would disintegrate around the shield.  I've used Canare as I noted before and it tends to split the jacket after a while although since I use it for short patch cords it's less of an issue.  I've bought out a couple of companies over the years and thus acquired an assortment of Whirlwind and Rapco mic cables much of which I still have in the B stock cable cases.  NONE of the mic cables I've used since the late 1970s has held up as well as Belden 8412.  Especially now that mic pre-amps are usually 50 ft away from the mics rather than 350 ft away the electrical performance of the cable really slips from importance in favor of reliability.  If I were doing location recording with a few channels of long run mic cables in symphony halls I'd certainly use the Canare but on big RnR stages with lots of traffic I'd much rather have the 8412.

In the long run EVERYTHING is a consumable. I love legendary 8412 as a desert island combo mic line/zip line, but it takes 2x to prep & solder as spiral-shielded cable and costs 2x as much as other useful stock. It weighs more and it takes up more space. The moisture-wick braided shield will eventually get stiff and crispy and handle poorly near cable ends - if not actually create noise.

I have adviseded on "hit and run" systems for NYC & area club date providers. All AC drops and XLR (w/appropriate spares) for L/R + Sub/6 wedge/ 2 IEM rig need to fit in one Pelican rolling case. Large jacket 20 gauge XLR and SO spec mains aren't "best" in this situation, even though it is heavy reps.

Ivan's "It depends" answer fits just about everywhere.

Love you Riley!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:12:45 am by Jim McKeveny »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 12:43:54 pm »

The Belden is 'best' on one criteria that wins over Canare and every other brand and style of mic cable I've ever used and that is durability.
The report seems to show that the shielding holds up better after repeated bending on the Canare over the Belden. I understand what you're saying about the jacket though, the Canare always feels "softer" and the jacket doesn't feel as "bonded" to the inner conductors...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 01:29:36 am »

The report seems to show that the shielding holds up better after repeated bending on the Canare over the Belden. I understand what you're saying about the jacket though, the Canare always feels "softer" and the jacket doesn't feel as "bonded" to the inner conductors...

Remember, that report is by Canare. So, they decided to post the test that showed their cable winning.  The dozen other tests, like using the cable as an emergency tow cable give the 8412 a potential advantage.

My experience is that I've never had anyone damage an 8412 cable on stage.  I can't say that about other brands of cable that I've used.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 01:29:36 am ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.