ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for switching between consoles?  (Read 4184 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Options for switching between consoles?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 12:35:30 AM »

My plan a decade ago was a bunch of Yamaha Mini-YGDAI cards in a DME-series mixer.  Lots of analog & AES for artist desks and local playback/VOG/emcee (awkward interface) but was very,very flexible.  Never built it as the gigs I was designing for ended up un-financed.

Today I'd look at the BSS mentioned up-thread.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

MikeHarris

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 03:40:04 AM »

BSS has been our go to DSP for years..reluctant to get on board with Q-Sys as was never fond of either their amps or speakers...but for about the same $ as Blu100 there is a similar Symetrix with Dante.

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »

I have been advised APB have ceased production whilst they undergo a restructure, so that product probably isn’t on the cards either way.

The MixSwitch should once again be available during the second half of the year.  Chris at [email protected] may still have a number of new MixSwitch units available for sale.

Cory Chenoweth

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks to all for your replies.

Bare with me, but a little venue history may help clarify.

Venue started out as neighborhood bar at one end of a shopping strip. Over the past 30 years, it has expanded 3-4 times to now accommodate approx. 2500 patrons. Last expansion (2009) took over space with ~30ft ceiling height. This same expansion added new stage (at this end of the club), new dance floor, new bars, etc. They also added a completely separate DJ booth and system to cover this new section and dance floor. To get playback to the legacy sections, they ran a line back to the legacy DJ booth / system. Added a second line for the bands to send feed to the legacy DJ booth/system.

Fast forward to 2017, venue expanded main stage and purchased the RCF rig and M32 consoles. To be clear, DJ system has no connection into the RCF rig what so ever. RCF rig is for band use only. All playback music pre-show, during change overs, and post show, are via DJ System. Being a completely separate DJ System from the legacy DJ System, it can be turned off when the bands are playing.

Back to the delay feed. As mentioned earlier, this latest section (where stage and RCF rig are) has ~30ft ceiling height. However, it only accounts for approx. 1/3 of the venue. The remaining 2/3's of the venue has ~12ft ceiling height. There is a cinder block wall separating this "new section" from the old, minus where they knocked out to expand. So, the RCF rig is only really covering 1/3 of the club. To get audio to the back 2/3, need to send a AUX or Matrix feed to the old legacy DJ Systems. There is very little processing for the legacy DJ System (analog xover, mono 31band EQ, 1U line mixer to somewhat control zone levels).

When I work there, I send a Matrix feed and time align to the first DJ system speaker that is approx. 20ft behind mix position.

I've attached a pic that may help you visualize. Pic taken with my back against upstage wall.

-Cory

John P. Farrell

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 08:35:58 PM »

edit ps- John and Blackberry Smoke came through one of our venues recently, always good to put faces with names.  It was a good day at the office and a fun show.  Thanks, John!

Great meeting with you and working together.  Let's do it again sometime!
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 09:44:06 PM »

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks to all for your replies.

Bare with me, but a little venue history may help clarify.

Venue started out as neighborhood bar at one end of a shopping strip. Over the past 30 years, it has expanded 3-4 times to now accommodate approx. 2500 patrons. Last expansion (2009) took over space with ~30ft ceiling height. This same expansion added new stage (at this end of the club), new dance floor, new bars, etc. They also added a completely separate DJ booth and system to cover this new section and dance floor. To get playback to the legacy sections, they ran a line back to the legacy DJ booth / system. Added a second line for the bands to send feed to the legacy DJ booth/system.

Fast forward to 2017, venue expanded main stage and purchased the RCF rig and M32 consoles. To be clear, DJ system has no connection into the RCF rig what so ever. RCF rig is for band use only. All playback music pre-show, during change overs, and post show, are via DJ System. Being a completely separate DJ System from the legacy DJ System, it can be turned off when the bands are playing.

Back to the delay feed. As mentioned earlier, this latest section (where stage and RCF rig are) has ~30ft ceiling height. However, it only accounts for approx. 1/3 of the venue. The remaining 2/3's of the venue has ~12ft ceiling height. There is a cinder block wall separating this "new section" from the old, minus where they knocked out to expand. So, the RCF rig is only really covering 1/3 of the club. To get audio to the back 2/3, need to send a AUX or Matrix feed to the old legacy DJ Systems. There is very little processing for the legacy DJ System (analog xover, mono 31band EQ, 1U line mixer to somewhat control zone levels).

When I work there, I send a Matrix feed and time align to the first DJ system speaker that is approx. 20ft behind mix position.

I've attached a pic that may help you visualize. Pic taken with my back against upstage wall.

-Cory

Now or previously a Graham Central operation?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cory Chenoweth

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 01:19:07 AM »

Now or previously a Graham Central operation?

No, never a Graham Central Station. But I've worked plenty GCS's over the years and see why you would ask. Opened as Mo's Place, Katy, Tx. Celebrated 31st anniversary last Saturday.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 01:19:07 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.