ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help..what is this distortion?  (Read 1950 times)

Craig Fetner

Help..what is this distortion?
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »

Went thru rehearsal, and 1st service with no problems.  Suddenly during solo, this.  Signal not dropping out but distortion, going normal, then repeating until I had the vocalist grab emergency mic.  Shure Beta 58 on ULXP4, diversity antennas at maybe 60 ft with direct line of sight.  Battery OK - 3 bars, signal stayed strong. No clipping on receiver input.  Wireless frequencies were reassigned about 2 months ago with no issues since using Shure Wireless Workbench due to interference on another mic.  Recording made from channel direct out on Yamaha M7CL.  This vocalist has some real lungs but this is the soft opening of the song.  No problems earlier during the service or prior service.

Couldn't replicate afterwards.

Volunteer on this end so would love some more informed advice on where to start.

Link to short audio clip:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsMsjRIG-8oUoQmzt0kQMurxL8OE

Matthias McCready

Re: Help..what is this distortion?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »

Went thru rehearsal, and 1st service with no problems.  Suddenly during solo, this.  Signal not dropping out but distortion, going normal, then repeating until I had the vocalist grab emergency mic.  Shure Beta 58 on ULXP4, diversity antennas at maybe 60 ft with direct line of sight.  Battery OK - 3 bars, signal stayed strong. No clipping on receiver input.  Wireless frequencies were reassigned about 2 months ago with no issues since using Shure Wireless Workbench due to interference on another mic.  Recording made from channel direct out on Yamaha M7CL.  This vocalist has some real lungs but this is the soft opening of the song.  No problems earlier during the service or prior service.

Couldn't replicate afterwards.

Volunteer on this end so would love some more informed advice on where to start.

Link to short audio clip:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsMsjRIG-8oUoQmzt0kQMurxL8OE

This is a long shot, but how is the capsule? A coworker had a b58 capsule go out on him a few months ago (worn contact points where the capsule connects) and I have had a KSM9 capsule go out (someone dropped it  :'( ).

Not sure if this would cause the heard distortion.

How did you try to replicate the problem?
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Craig Fetner

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:32:52 AM »

This is a long shot, but how is the capsule? A coworker had a b58 capsule go out on him a few months ago (worn contact points where the capsule connects) and I have had a KSM9 capsule go out (someone dropped it  :'( ).

Not sure if this would cause the heard distortion.

How did you try to replicate the problem?

I checked the recording first to see if the problem was a mic issue or maybe in the mixer.  Distortion on the recording so I assume the issue is in the transmitter, receiver, or preamp.  Rechecked the receiver looking for gain issues, interference, cables.  Didn't see anything.  Turned on all wireless mics and walked around singing/talking/screaming into mic for an hour with no issues.  Swapped the mic capsule, no issues on either the suspect mic or the mic I swapped from.

If I can't replicate the problem it's pretty hard to isolate and fix it.  We have a couple of mics for announcements that are rarely used, I may just swap the mic and receiver out for one of these since I can quickly deal with that issue easier than a vocal mic going nuts.  That doesn't solve the problem though, it just moves it temporarily until it rears up again.  Will definitely have the onstage backup mic warmed up....

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »

If I can't replicate the problem it's pretty hard to isolate and fix it. 
Craig,

I've had some similar sounding problems with RF mics when the performers were wearing lots of metal reflective ornamentation.

Perhaps the performer was wearing something during the performance (a cross necklace, a cell phone?) not worn during rehearsal.

Good luck tracking it down..

Art

Craig Fetner

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »

Craig,

I've had some similar sounding problems with RF mics when the performers were wearing lots of metal reflective ornamentation.

Perhaps the performer was wearing something during the performance (a cross necklace, a cell phone?) not worn during rehearsal.

Good luck tracking it down..

Art

Thanks Art.  That's one I hadn't thought of.  It was a female vocalist who usually isn't into "flashy" jewelry but I can't recall if anything stood out.  I'll spend a few more hours trying to replicate it and if that doesn't work I guess I'll swap out the transmitter/receiver pair to a less important channel.  Somehow problems always have to be either the senior pastor mic or primary soloist mic.  I'm not sure what the least important mic is on stage (one of two drum kit OH mics maybe?) but I'm sure in all history that mic has never had a problem.  Ever.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »

I've had my beta 58 heads act weird in adverse weather conditions.  High humidity or rain and they aren't happy.  Now, if I'm in that sort of weather, I swap them out for SM 58's which can operate pretty much anywhere, any time without issue.
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »

After listening to the audio clip I'm going with an RF issue of some sort.

How close was she to any other wireless mics, wireless guitar packs, IEM transmitters, ect.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »

Is that a click track I am hearing bleeding thru on the recording? Did you have that on while testing. It sounds to me like a cell phone handshake. If you aren't familiar with that I can explain more if you need. On the recording that you posted there are 3 incidents of this happening that are approximately 4 second apart. If you listen to the whole recording and time the incidents is it consistently about 4 seconds apart (from where one starts and where the next one starts) or do yo see some other timing pattern?

Did you have all of the same wireless mics on when testing in the same positions as during this issue? And where any of them really near each other. Like all on a mic stand with multiple mic clips. Are you aware that when 2 or more wireless are really close to each other they create other frequencies. When you did the reassignment of wireless frequencies did you scan the environment to see what else is in there? If yes what did you use to do that? Do you have any IEM transmitters in use?

Where are you located? Do you have a copy of the WWB show file that you can post?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.