ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up SRX728 and SRX715 with XTI-series amps  (Read 2824 times)

Havard Hogstad

Setting up SRX728 and SRX715 with XTI-series amps
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »

I have bought two SRX728 and four SRX715. I have two XTI4000, two XTI 4002 and one XTI6000 available for amping the rig. I think I'll only use two SRX715 - one on each side.

The previous owner used one XTI6000 stereo for subs and one XTI4000 for the 715s. I'm considering two options:

1. XTI6000 in stereo for subs and bi-amping the 715s with one XTI4002 on each side.

2. XTI4002 on each sub. XTI6000 in stereo for the 715s

What would give the best balance?

Paul Miller

Re: Setting up SRX728 and SRX715 with XTI-series amps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »

I'd go for option one. Definitely want to keep that 6000 on sub duty, as the other amps in the XTI line are less than impressive here. And I think a 4002 would be more than adequate into a bi-amped 715.

Edited: Misread your first option, changed bridged mode to bi-amped
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:00:44 PM by Paul Miller »

Havard Hogstad

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »

I'd go for option one. Definitely want to keep that 6000 on sub duty, as the other amps in the XTI line are less than impressive here. And I think a 4000's 2200 watts in bridged mode would be more than adequate into a 715.

Ok. Wouldn't the 715s outrun the subs? How would this be compared with biamping the 715 with one XTI 4k on each side?

Jay Marr

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »

Ok. Wouldn't the 715s outrun the subs? How would this be compared with biamping the 715 with one XTI 4k on each side?

I would run the 715s off the XTI6k Bridged.
I would run each 728 with a XTI4k Bridged (one per sub).

I ran a similar set up.  That will be plenty of power for everyone.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:45:08 AM »

None of the XTI series stuff does well bridged. The XTI6000 is best used in stereo mode and at 2,100 watts @4ohm's per channel it will power the 728's rather well ( they have a 1,200-watt recommendation after all). The 715's are rather efficient and I would run them in passive. If you want to get tricky you can go Bi-Amp, but really the XTI series likes to work at 4ohm's or less. I own a few of the XTI series amps and have used and employed many others in the series and one thing that has always stood out for me is that they do not do well in bridge mono mode.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Havard Hogstad

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:39 AM »

None of the XTI series stuff does well bridged. The XTI6000 is best used in stereo mode and at 2,100 watts @4ohm's per channel it will power the 728's rather well ( they have a 1,200-watt recommendation after all). The 715's are rather efficient and I would run them in passive. If you want to get tricky you can go Bi-Amp, but really the XTI series likes to work at 4ohm's or less. I own a few of the XTI series amps and have used and employed many others in the series and one thing that has always stood out for me is that they do not do well in bridge mono mode.

So you suggest one XTI6K stereo for subs, and two mono bridge XTI4K for the two 715s?

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »

None of the XTI series stuff does well bridged. ........ I own a few of the XTI series amps and have used and employed many others in the series and one thing that has always stood out for me is that they do not do well in bridge mono mode.

Can you elaborate on what 'do not do well' means?
I ran bridged XTIs for years with zero issues.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

I don't like the operational characteristics that the XTI line exhibits when they are run in bridge mono mode. They run hotter, don't seem to have as much power as they say they do and they don't run on the rails well at all. As soon as you get above -10 on the meter they seem to start falling flat. That is how I feel about them anyway. I have used XTI6K's once in bridge mono mode to power my 728's and then used a QSC PL3600's in the same manner and the QSC's were louder, cleaner and had more headroom even though they had nearly half the wattage. The others on the XTI series aren't any better at the task. They just run better in stereo mode.

I goofed in my statement about the XTI's liking 4 ohms or less. It should have been they like 4ohm's or higher. They again start to fall flat when pushed with 2 ohm loads. 4 ohm's or higher and they purr like a kitten.

To re-iterate, I would use the XTI6K in stereo mode to power 1 sub for each channel. That imposes a 4 ohm load and the amp will provide 2,100 watts. You now have 2 XTI4K's that you can run in stereo mode to power the 4 X 715's you have in passive mode. 1 715 per channel. Or you can get tricky and run the speakers in Bi-Amp, but I would just run 1 X 715 per side and save the extra amp and speakers for another gig or satellite system.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 01:36:57 AM »

I don't like the operational characteristics that the XTI line exhibits when they are run in bridge mono mode. They run hotter, don't seem to have as much power as they say they do and they don't run on the rails well at all. As soon as you get above -10 on the meter they seem to start falling flat. That is how I feel about them anyway. I have used XTI6K's once in bridge mono mode to power my 728's and then used a QSC PL3600's in the same manner and the QSC's were louder, cleaner and had more headroom even though they had nearly half the wattage. The others on the XTI series aren't any better at the task. They just run better in stereo mode.

I goofed in my statement about the XTI's liking 4 ohms or less. It should have been they like 4ohm's or higher. They again start to fall flat when pushed with 2 ohm loads. 4 ohm's or higher and they purr like a kitten.

To re-iterate, I would use the XTI6K in stereo mode to power 1 sub for each channel. That imposes a 4 ohm load and the amp will provide 2,100 watts. You now have 2 XTI4K's that you can run in stereo mode to power the 4 X 715's you have in passive mode. 1 715 per channel. Or you can get tricky and run the speakers in Bi-Amp, but I would just run 1 X 715 per side and save the extra amp and speakers for another gig or satellite system.

The bold text is my preference as well.   
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Kidd

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »

728s actually are recommend at 1600w. Agree on stereo setup.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.