ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for speaker processing/amplifiers in the current market.  (Read 5709 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Suggestions for speaker processing/amplifiers in the current market.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »

And I've heard of Ashly units that have good FIR tap counts, but the processor bogs down when trying to use FIR and other functions.

This is true for the NE8800 at least. If you use the FIR filter then not much is left for other processing. I don't think of the NE8800 as an FIR box. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »

2) Way back in my EAW days when we were specifying performance criteria for what became the UX8800 we conducted extensive listening tests of various-sized FIRs. We found that in ideal circumstances improvements in impulse response could be heard below 300 Hz, but the response of the listening environment dominated the net result. The cost / benefit ratio of large FIRs skewed to the unfavorable column. We deemed the penalty of higher latency and DSP horsepower requirement not to be worth it. An 8 ms windowed FIR (384 taps @ 48, 768 taps at 96k) became our go-to.

This agrees exactly with my (far more limited) experience. Some published experiments on the perceptibility of phase variation support this. (I can dig them up if anyone cares.) Now if you're trying to get disparate systems to play together, then that's a different question, but in isolation I think flat phase, especially at higher frequencies, is overrated. Try some (blinded) listening tests, on music, and see for yourself. If you really want to hear the effect of phase variation, try a 100 Hz triangle wave as your test signal  :o

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

At the moment, I’m leaning more towards either powersoft with their processing or Linear research’s 8 channel option, providing I can afford it.

You may have a look also at the MC2 Delta DSP series or the XTA DPA ( pretty similar ).

What I really like about these: 4in8 DSP attached to 4 channel amp, means for 3 way active system I simply add a strong sub amp or a really nice sounding Class A/B or H amp for Highs, if my ears have a golden moment  :)

Regarding FIR:
The DSP takes custom FIR ( more than 3000 taps at 96kHz ) BUT you may not be able to access this functionality, you need to talk to XTA or your distributor about this topic.

Elegant software:
Well, I will take Audio Architect and the BLU 160/800 any day over the XTA offering in this regard,
but it is my impression that XTA/MC2 is open to small customers, something I cannot say about Linea Research, these guys are probably too busy with listening to Martin or Fulcrum.

I spent days with Linea Research/System Engineer on my old laptop/Windows 7 Pro and could not make it connect to the amp,
on my new laptop/Windows 10 Pro  System Engineer works at least with DHCP, static IP no way.
No other control software for DSP has caused me this much headache,
the amp itself ( 44M06 without custom FIR ) is nice, limiter functionality is great

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 04:01:36 PM »

Forgot to mention:
Dont use spreadsheets to transfer DSP setttings to Linea Research, their definition of Q is "outstanding"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:04:15 PM by Uwe Riemer2 »

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:18 AM »

Uwe, any chance you have some National Instruments software on your windows machines ?
That ended up being the problem that kept my SC-48 from connecting....

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »

Uwe, any chance you have some National Instruments software on your windows machines ?
That ended up being the problem that kept my SC-48 from connecting....

Hi Mark,
thanks for the effort, but I have no NI software.
It is no big deal anymore, because I decided that the overall feature set of the Delta DSP suits my needs better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.