ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Leviton CS series advice?  (Read 3256 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: Leviton CS series advice?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 01:09:08 PM »

I've found that certain types of 4/4 work better than others... Wireandcableyourway.com has a Type W 2000V cable that had *very* fine strands and it worked so much easier than the traditional Carol Cable SOOW 4/4.

I also found that if I stripped more of the "outermost" insulation off, I could arrange the individual wires easier. Once I had them semi-aligned, I would cut the individual wires to length, strip, and assemble the connector.

Finally... it helped to have a second set of hands available for the really tough ones. My lighting guy could hold the connector while I used a thin needle-nose to better position the individual wires with the connector.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:11:21 PM by Steve Litscher »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »

I also found that if I stripped more of the "outermost" insulation off, I could arrange the individual wires easier. Once I had them semi-aligned, I would cut the individual wires to length, strip, and assemble the connector.

This. And after stripping the individual conductors and giving them a hard twist in the same direction as their twist in the cable, I cut the ends flush using the flush cutter that's built into the Ideal-style wire strippers. I find that having a more-or-less square end on the stripped wires makes them easier to thread into the hole without having a strand hang up. And once they're all the way in and bottomed out I'm confident that every strand goes all the way through the clamp.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »

Thank you for all of the suggestions.  The cable I have does not have the individual conductors laid out to align with their respective clamps in the Leviton wiring devices, so the ground wire isn't a straight shot.  When I get another pair of CS connectors, I'll try stripping more of the outer jacket and see if that works any better. The clamp for the ground wire is different from the other three, and looks to have a slightly smaller opening.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 11:20:02 PM »

Thank you for all of the suggestions.  The cable I have does not have the individual conductors laid out to align with their respective clamps in the Leviton wiring devices, so the ground wire isn't a straight shot.  When I get another pair of CS connectors, I'll try stripping more of the outer jacket and see if that works any better. The clamp for the ground wire is different from the other three, and looks to have a slightly smaller opening.

If it doesn’t line up, try the other end of the cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »

If it doesn’t line up, try the other end of the cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did, but it doesn't seem to matter. I know that trick from 12/3, but the four wires locate green and white opposite one another, and black and red opposite. The connector goes (from 12:00) green, white, x, y, while the cable goes green, x, w, y. Maybe it is an idiosyncratic lay....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.