ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL 2242’s and equivalent  (Read 11601 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: JBL 2242’s and equivalent
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »

Hi David, I use some Orbit Shifter Pro subwoofers from JTR Speakers. 

Lots of talk about them here on the forums if you do some searching, and some independent (and very detailed) measurements have been done of them over on the data-bass website.  Roughly similar size to your W-bins, 18" folded horn with tilt-back casters and high power handling.  I have not been disappointed, which is why my two are becoming four next week.  Might be worth looking into as an option that packs a lot of power for its size/price. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »

Hi David, I use some Orbit Shifter Pro subwoofers from JTR Speakers. 

Lots of talk about them here on the forums if you do some searching, and some independent (and very detailed) measurements have been done of them over on the data-bass website.  Roughly similar size to your W-bins, 18" folded horn with tilt-back casters and high power handling.  I have not been disappointed, which is why my two are becoming four next week.  Might be worth looking into as an option that packs a lot of power for its size/price.

Thanks, I’ll check those out too. I’ve seen forum posts referring to them but never really looked at them. But right now everything is worth checking out. I definitely won’t be buying something I have not demo’d though. I’m not in a hurry to buy so I’ll start looking for demo opportunities, even if I have to travel some!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »

Atlanta?  You're in luck.  Besides having about every major and minor brand represented in that market, it's home of Danley Sound Labs.  You might have a life-changing experience in their demo room with the W bin as your standard of comparison.

Twelve years ago LAB participant Paul Bell sponsored a subwoofer shoot out in a club in Manhattan and we spent 2 days doing TEF sweeps and listening/feeling.  The Environmental Police showed up because we were shaking an apartment on the 5th floor... across the street.  Reports in the Archive under NYC Subwoofer shootout.

Today's new subs might be +4dB in output and maybe another 1/3 octave lower for similar physical size/weight.  That's 50% fewer subs to own, transport, handle, and occupy venue space.  We've come a long, long way.

It's a great time to be in audio!  :D

I met Tim (and Ivan) at that event. Some of the subs were massive. One weighed 350 lbs. yikes. This guy from Chicago brought along a little horn loaded sub to include. While it wasn’t competing with the big guys, we were blown away by it. When I got home I bought 4 of the JTR Growlers.

Last year I sold the 4 of them and the QSC PL6.0 and replaced them with 2 Danley TH118s and a 4000 watt plate amp. This gave me 2 easier to move subs, more output and lower extension and lightened up the amp rack to boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »

I met Tim (and Ivan) at that event. Some of the subs were massive. One weighed 350 lbs. yikes. This guy from Chicago brought along a little horn loaded sub to include. While it wasn’t competing with the big guys, we were blown away by it. When I got home I bought 4 of the JTR Growlers.

Last year I sold the 4 of them and the QSC PL6.0 and replaced them with 2 Danley TH118s and a 4000 watt plate amp. This gave me 2 easier to move subs, more output and lower extension and lightened up the amp rack to boot.

Right now that’s kind of my deciding point. Do I get 4 of something a little smaller or 2 of something maybe a little bigger. That question may become easy once I start to demo stuff. Good food for thought though! Thanks

Rick Powell

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »

So you have one active and one passive TH118, and installed a Speakon jumper in the powered cabinet to power the passive cabinet? I think the power module puts out 4000w at 2 ohms, which would be 2000w/speaker if using the 4 ohm drivers.

John Schalk

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »

If you liked the size and output of the Meyer 500-HP, then you may want to take a look at the JTR Captivator 212 Pro which is a fairly new 2 x 12" design.  A search here should turn up several threads discussing this sub and it just so happens that there is a powered pair for sale in the Marketplace right now.  By the way, the asking price for used Meyer 500-HPs seems to be around $2,000 per box.  It is a 10 year old design, but is still a current product for Meyer.  I have no idea what the new price would be for it.

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »

...This guy from Chicago brought along a little horn loaded sub to include. While it wasn’t competing with the big guys, we were blown away by it. When I got home I bought 4 of the JTR Growlers.

I think I just bought them. Don't discount the Growler if your reference is a 20 year old W bin. 4 Growlers easily replaced, and then some, two Community VLF218 for me. The VLF218 is about the same size as the TH118. Each Growler is about half that size. For me they are easier to utilize for smaller shows where space is a concern. Put all 4 together center clustered and they get the job done!
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »

If you liked the size and output of the Meyer 500-HP, then you may want to take a look at the JTR Captivator 212 Pro which is a fairly new 2 x 12" design.  A search here should turn up several threads discussing this sub and it just so happens that there is a powered pair for sale in the Marketplace right now.  By the way, the asking price for used Meyer 500-HPs seems to be around $2,000 per box.  It is a 10 year old design, but is still a current product for Meyer.  I have no idea what the new price would be for it.

I’m not sure I’d go the Meyer HP500 route just based on that one time use. I was getting lots of low end from the hanging line array too so I’m not sure how much bass was filling the room from just those subs. When I would walk past them though I definitely knew they were working. I didn’t ask what the line array boxes were but I was able to get a good look at the subs while waiting on the band to show up. They definitely surprised me for output versus size, especially since I’ve learned they were double 12’s.

Since I ground stack my rig I would either need something tall enough to stack my U15B’s on or have a pole mount cup. I’m sure that’s not a big deal these days as it seems everything has a pole mount to it. The next thing would be how easy they are to move around. I’m not concerned with the weight so long as I’m not having to pick it up to move it, so either 4 casters or tilt and push! I don’t have a budget yet since again I went into this looking to just add 2 more w’s so I’ll need to see what I like and then put a budget together based on that.

I’ve also looked up those yorkville es21’s on their site, thanks for the link. Those are a little smaller than my current subs but about 50lbs heavier, so that’s something to think about as well.

So who on here is semi local to Atlanta and what do you have that I could come out and listen to? Obviously I need to run up to Danley, but what else are the locals using? Feel free to do the private message thing if you’re not wanting to advertise to everybody. Also is there anyone local that could help with measurements for my current subs so I can at least compare specs? Thanks everyone for all this great advice and suggestions.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 12:57:07 AM »

So you have one active and one passive TH118, and installed a Speakon jumper in the powered cabinet to power the passive cabinet? I think the power module puts out 4000w at 2 ohms, which would be 2000w/speaker if using the 4 ohm drivers.

The plate amp has a parallel speakon out. Made it easy.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »

If you liked the size and output of the Meyer 500-HP, then you may want to take a look at the JTR Captivator 212 Pro which is a fairly new 2 x 12" design.  A search here should turn up several threads discussing this sub and it just so happens that there is a powered pair for sale in the Marketplace right now. 

So I’ve found a pair of QSC kw181’s that friend has, and Friday I just picked up a gig and I’ll have a pair of something supplementing my rig, I’ll find out when I pick them up what they are. So far all I know is single 18’s.

Does anybody near Atlanta have anything from JTR that I could come listen to? I’ll even help on a show for free just to have a listen to some boxes! I just don’t know many people in this huge city that does audio on my scale!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 25 queries.