ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL 2242’s and equivalent  (Read 11595 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL 2242’s and equivalent
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »

The last new price for a 2242 was something around $700...way over priced even then in comparison to what else was available let alone to what is available now.

What size are your W bins. They have some output but may not be going as low as you think.

The W bin - at least the original "RCA" style - was optimized for around 55 Hz, IIRC
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:33 PM »

The Keele W horns that JBL published designs for were specced as being a 40 hz flare rate and noted that a stack of eight would provide the requisite mouth area.  Like so much else on the PSW forums this has come up before.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=138996.0

The W bin - at least the original "RCA" style - was optimized for around 55 Hz, IIRC

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 04:14:21 AM »

John, when I search for ES21 subwoofer I get results showing me a small home theatre subwoofer. Could you give me more info on that sub!

http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es21p/

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »

The last new price for a 2242 was something around $700...way over priced even then in comparison to what else was available let alone to what is available now.

What size are your W bins. They have some output but may not be going as low as you think.

Yeah, $700 a piece is way too steep. Mine are 24”x30”x48” outside dimensions. One of my bands had their own gear when I met them and they had a pair of OAP brand W’s loaded with eminence drivers. It was night and day difference between theirs and mine. Mine seem smoother than theirs were and more punchy, probably due to being able to handle more power. I’m not saying that they are the best subs out there, but they sound different than most other W bins.  I would like to measure their output and see what they are actually doing. I don’t have a rig to measure with and I don’t know anyone local that does either.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »

I would like to measure their output and see what they are actually doing. I don’t have a rig to measure with and I don’t know anyone local that does either.

If you update your user profile with your location (counterintuitively, on this forum software you need to put it in the "Personal Text" field for it to show up in your posts BTW), you may well find there's a forum member nearby who'd be willing to come do a measurement session with you for the cost of a beer or 2.

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »

If you update your user profile with your location (counterintuitively, on this forum software you need to put it in the "Personal Text" field for it to show up in your posts BTW), you may well find there's a forum member nearby who'd be willing to come do a measurement session with you for the cost of a beer or 2.

Thanks for that David!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 10:20:24 PM »

Thanks for that David!

Atlanta?  You're in luck.  Besides having about every major and minor brand represented in that market, it's home of Danley Sound Labs.  You might have a life-changing experience in their demo room with the W bin as your standard of comparison.

Twelve years ago LAB participant Paul Bell sponsored a subwoofer shoot out in a club in Manhattan and we spent 2 days doing TEF sweeps and listening/feeling.  The Environmental Police showed up because we were shaking an apartment on the 5th floor... across the street.  Reports in the Archive under NYC Subwoofer shootout.

Today's new subs might be +4dB in output and maybe another 1/3 octave lower for similar physical size/weight.  That's 50% fewer subs to own, transport, handle, and occupy venue space.  We've come a long, long way.

It's a great time to be in audio!  :D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 12:52:23 AM »

Atlanta?  You're in luck.  Besides having about every major and minor brand represented in that market, it's home of Danley Sound Labs.  You might have a life-changing experience in their demo room with the W bin as your standard of comparison.

Twelve years ago LAB participant Paul Bell sponsored a subwoofer shoot out in a club in Manhattan and we spent 2 days doing TEF sweeps and listening/feeling.  The Environmental Police showed up because we were shaking an apartment on the 5th floor... across the street.  Reports in the Archive under NYC Subwoofer shootout.

Today's new subs might be +4dB in output and maybe another 1/3 octave lower for similar physical size/weight.  That's 50% fewer subs to own, transport, handle, and occupy venue space.  We've come a long, long way.

It's a great time to be in audio!  :D
It’s funny you mention this. My neighbor actually works for Danley. I’ve been wanting to make a trip over there even though I can almost bet that everything will be above my budget, but I’ve heard not to let that stop me from stopping by.
Then on a side note, I got a demo tonight. Had a gig with one of my regular bands. Corporate party and lucky me there was a PA already in the room and it was prearranged that was was just sending them a stereo mix. So I got mix on a Meyer line array, not sure of the model, but there were 6 boxes a side, s 2 subs and I think 4 small fill speakers. Subs were their 500hp’s. I see what you guys mean about the newer technology, I had all the low end I needed from those flown boxes and the 2 subs! Granted the rig was more than enough for that ballroom but my 2 subs couldn’t compete with those things. I haven’t looked them up yet, but I’m sure those are out of my budget too.
So I guess in theory, if I knew what my subs performance numbers were it would be easier to compare on paper all these other boxes and I could end up just buying 2 for now since they obviously will outperform my w’s! So I could afford 2 nicer subs versus 4 cheaper ones. Something to think about.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »

I got to work with a few of the HP700’s, these were very good!

David Junius

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 02:17:46 PM »

http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es21p/

Thanks, can’t belive I didn’t see this earlier. That thing is a beast at 202lbs!
While weight for a sub doesn’t bother me too much, I am still basically a one man show for now but that may be changing in the near future since I’ve got a band that’s asking for more “production” in terms of lighting. So I may start having someone around to help schlep gear! Guess I need to start looking for demo opportunities and make an appointment up the street to listen to some Danley stuff too!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 02:17:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.