Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

JBL 2242ís and equivalent

<< < (2/7) > >>

David Junius:

--- Quote from: John Halliburton on March 25, 2019, 08:12:08 am ---Both the U15 and the LS1208 subs are still being made.  There is also the ES21 subs which I think would be a decent match to the U15.

Best regards,

John

--- End quote ---

I saw that the U15 is still in production on their site. I didnít see the LS1208 but I wasnít looking for that sub either. I was in reference to the UCS-1 not in production. Iíll look into those ES21ís. Are the LS1208ís carpeted? Iíd like to get away from carpeted boxes.

David Junius:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on March 25, 2019, 09:27:44 am ---Just a quick FWIW, if older JBLs in W-bins are your reference, I suspect you'll be impressed at what a modern high-power 18" in a sensible ported box will do.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Maybe. I donít have much opportunity to demo speakers. Iím sure thereís people around me with stuff I could listen to, but I donít have those contacts yet. I know Danley is up the street from me but I doubt Iíll have a budget for anything up there. Iíve done some freelancing in the past with a larger company but Iím not in the market for a kf850 rig either. I started with those wís under some Yamaha club speakers back in the day and just never upgraded, but I see that maybe now is that time! I guess I should do some research and see whatís out there.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: David Junius on March 25, 2019, 12:44:54 pm ---Maybe. I donít have much opportunity to demo speakers. Iím sure thereís people around me with stuff I could listen to, but I donít have those contacts yet. I know Danley is up the street from me but I doubt Iíll have a budget for anything up there. Iíve done some freelancing in the past with a larger company but Iím not in the market for a kf850 rig either. I started with those wís under some Yamaha club speakers back in the day and just never upgraded, but I see that maybe now is that time! I guess I should do some research and see whatís out there.

--- End quote ---

The 2240 and 2242 were awesome woofers for their day but their day was 20 - 30 years ago.  A whole lot has happened since then with transducer materials and physical design and construction to achieve longer xMAX and dissipate more heat and survive the mechanical stresses.

It's not easy to audition new gear, you're right.  A lot of my early listening is arranged by calling the regional rep firm for the manufacturer(s) I'm interested in and asking what retailers or pro end users have ordered inventory of the thing I'm interested in.  After that it's a few phone calls to see when they might be used or available to audition.

David Junius:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on March 26, 2019, 01:52:46 pm ---The 2240 and 2242 were awesome woofers for their day but their day was 20 - 30 years ago.  A whole lot has happened since then with transducer materials and physical design and construction to achieve longer xMAX and dissipate more heat and survive the mechanical stresses.

It's not easy to audition new gear, you're right.  A lot of my early listening is arranged by calling the regional rep firm for the manufacturer(s) I'm interested in and asking what retailers or pro end users have ordered inventory of the thing I'm interested in.  After that it's a few phone calls to see when they might be used or available to audition.

--- End quote ---

I get it, technology has made drastic improvements in the audio world in the last 20 years. Just look at how much has gone digital. I will say this, people have been impressed how my w bins sounded once they heard them. The comment was always, those arenít stock drivers are they?

John, when I search for ES21 subwoofer I get results showing me a small home theatre subwoofer. Could you give me more info on that sub!

Also, has anyone done a subwoofer comparison lately. I originally thought I was going to be adding a pair of w bins and now Iím looking into buying a whole new set of subs and I really have no idea where to begin. I guess Iíll need to decide if I want to go with active or passive boxes first. I almost feel like these comments are saying that anything I buy today will at least keep up with my wís if not out-perform then so it almost doesnít matter what I buy!

Mike Caldwell:
The last new price for a 2242 was something around $700...way over priced even then in comparison to what else was available let alone to what is available now.

What size are your W bins. They have some output but may not be going as low as you think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version