Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

JBL 2242ís and equivalent

<< < (3/7) > >>

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on March 26, 2019, 08:38:16 pm ---The last new price for a 2242 was something around $700...way over priced even then in comparison to what else was available let alone to what is available now.

What size are your W bins. They have some output but may not be going as low as you think.

--- End quote ---

The W bin - at least the original "RCA" style - was optimized for around 55 Hz, IIRC

Riley Casey:
The Keele W horns that JBL published designs for were specced as being a 40 hz flare rate and noted that a stack of eight would provide the requisite mouth area.  Like so much else on the PSW forums this has come up before.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=138996.0


--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on March 26, 2019, 09:38:32 pm ---The W bin - at least the original "RCA" style - was optimized for around 55 Hz, IIRC

--- End quote ---

David Morison:

--- Quote from: David Junius on March 26, 2019, 07:21:31 pm ---John, when I search for ES21 subwoofer I get results showing me a small home theatre subwoofer. Could you give me more info on that sub!


--- End quote ---

http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es21p/

David Junius:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on March 26, 2019, 08:38:16 pm ---The last new price for a 2242 was something around $700...way over priced even then in comparison to what else was available let alone to what is available now.

What size are your W bins. They have some output but may not be going as low as you think.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, $700 a piece is way too steep. Mine are 24Ēx30Ēx48Ē outside dimensions. One of my bands had their own gear when I met them and they had a pair of OAP brand Wís loaded with eminence drivers. It was night and day difference between theirs and mine. Mine seem smoother than theirs were and more punchy, probably due to being able to handle more power. Iím not saying that they are the best subs out there, but they sound different than most other W bins.  I would like to measure their output and see what they are actually doing. I donít have a rig to measure with and I donít know anyone local that does either.

David Morison:

--- Quote from: David Junius on March 27, 2019, 07:34:33 am --- I would like to measure their output and see what they are actually doing. I donít have a rig to measure with and I donít know anyone local that does either.

--- End quote ---

If you update your user profile with your location (counterintuitively, on this forum software you need to put it in the "Personal Text" field for it to show up in your posts BTW), you may well find there's a forum member nearby who'd be willing to come do a measurement session with you for the cost of a beer or 2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version