Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

JBL 2242ís and equivalent

(1/7) > >>

David Junius:
Ok, so Iíve got a pair of subs with the 2242 driver in them. Iím considering building another pair since they arenít available but I see I may have trouble finding those drivers. I thought about buying the matching subs to my tops but those arenít available anymore either. So is JBL making a driver comparable or is there another driver out there that would be close enough for me to build a semi matching pair to what I have? The alternative is buying something currently on the market.

Thanks
DJ

Mike Caldwell:
While the 2242 is a good sounding 18, by todays standards it's a dated design.

What type design sub cabinets are they in?
What are you going to use the subs for?

David Junius:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on March 24, 2019, 12:19:32 am ---While the 2242 is a good sounding 18, by todays standards it's a dated design.

What type design sub cabinets are they in?
What are you going to use the subs for?

--- End quote ---

The 2242ís are in my ďwĒ bin cabinets. Yes I do get the occasional comment about still carrying around those subs! But Iíve had them for close to 20 years now and theyíve been fine for me. I use 1 per side under one or two yorkville U15ís. As Iím growing a little I wanted a little more sub and figured Iíd get another pair as thatís probably the cheapest route only to find I canít find them. So then I decided that maybe I should just upgrade and get 4 subs that actually match my tops only to find they arenít available either. So my next option is to find a driver thatís close enough in sound and build 2 copies of my wís or just upgrade all my subs to something thatís newer and available. So thatís when I decided to post in here and see which option makes the most sense. I know eventually I might be able to find this stuff used, but then Iím at the mercy of playing the waiting game to find the stuff, not that Iím ready to buy a large batch of subs right now since this started as a how much are my current subs to add a pair!

Dave

John Halliburton:

--- Quote from: David Junius on March 24, 2019, 06:47:17 am ---The 2242ís are in my ďwĒ bin cabinets. Yes I do get the occasional comment about still carrying around those subs! But Iíve had them for close to 20 years now and theyíve been fine for me. I use 1 per side under one or two yorkville U15ís. As Iím growing a little I wanted a little more sub and figured Iíd get another pair as thatís probably the cheapest route only to find I canít find them. So then I decided that maybe I should just upgrade and get 4 subs that actually match my tops only to find they arenít available either. So my next option is to find a driver thatís close enough in sound and build 2 copies of my wís or just upgrade all my subs to something thatís newer and available. So thatís when I decided to post in here and see which option makes the most sense. I know eventually I might be able to find this stuff used, but then Iím at the mercy of playing the waiting game to find the stuff, not that Iím ready to buy a large batch of subs right now since this started as a how much are my current subs to add a pair!

Dave

--- End quote ---

Both the U15 and the LS1208 subs are still being made.  There is also the ES21 subs which I think would be a decent match to the U15.

Best regards,

John

Chris Grimshaw:
Just a quick FWIW, if older JBLs in W-bins are your reference, I suspect you'll be impressed at what a modern high-power 18" in a sensible ported box will do.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version