ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound Madrid- any real world users out there?  (Read 4511 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
Turbosound Madrid- any real world users out there?
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »

I'm currently muling over a possible monitor change, from my current JBL SRX 812p's to something a bit more discreet looking for smaller stages and corporate work. Ideally they'd have enough output for some of my larger shows as well (think outdoor, APEX3224 events with mostly C-level acts). The beloved and discontinued SRX 712m is my target in terms of size and output.

Lo and behold, Turbosound has a lineup of boxes akin to the old SRX 700 series, including a box similar to the SRX 712m. Specs look good and the pricing is attractive, yet there aren't any opinions or reviews from actual users to be found on the web.

I was able to find actual pics of the box I'm eyeing and its internals. The components look decent enough to my eye, but I'm no loudspeaker designer.

So here I ask, are there any real world users here that can comment on any of the boxes in the Madrid lineup?

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Turbosound/MADRID/c/Turbosound-MADRID?colExpFlag=,MADRID

Steve Garris

Re: Turbosound Madrid- any real world users out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »

I'm currently muling over a possible monitor change, from my current JBL SRX 812p's to something a bit more discreet looking for smaller stages and corporate work. Ideally they'd have enough output for some of my larger shows as well (think outdoor, APEX3224 events with mostly C-level acts). The beloved and discontinued SRX 712m is my target in terms of size and output.

Lo and behold, Turbosound has a lineup of boxes akin to the old SRX 700 series, including a box similar to the SRX 712m. Specs look good and the pricing is attractive, yet there aren't any opinions or reviews from actual users to be found on the web.

I was able to find actual pics of the box I'm eyeing and its internals. The components look decent enough to my eye, but I'm no loudspeaker designer.

So here I ask, are there any real world users here that can comment on any of the boxes in the Madrid lineup?

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Turbosound/MADRID/c/Turbosound-MADRID?colExpFlag=,MADRID

I've seen posts here stating that you can still purchase new SRX 712's - special order. Have you looked into that?

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »

I've seen posts here stating that you can still purchase new SRX 712's - special order. Have you looked into that?

I don't think you can just buy a "handful" of boxes.

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »

I've looked into that- I was told none were available.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »

I am sure you have already seen these by now but just in case you hadn't...
SRX712m
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 05:37:55 PM »

I like those SRX712 boxes, but hard to justify 1k for a passive wedge when you can get a powered DSR112 for less money.

I would be super curious as well how these Turbo Madrid boxes sound in comparison.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »

I was going to post earlier but decided against it. After seeing a few posts that mirror my thoughts I guess I will support them. There are a lot of used and NOS SRX 712M's that can be had for roughly the same cost as the copies you're looking at. The TMS is not so much a bad box as much as it is a tribute box. It is like the real thing, but it is not the real thing.

You can get the real thing for roughly the same price. So may as well get the real thing. I don't think you are seeing many reviews about the TMS because those who really want that type of box will simply get the real thing. Same price after all. The TMS is priced out of the entry-level market really. $900 + for a passive speaker isn't exactly screaming take me to the average guy. Those who know what they are looking for and are willing to spend that price already know to look for the SRX 712M. The 700 series has been out of production for over 5 years and you can still find brand new units......... Makes you wonder. JBL is obviously shipping them out to a few vendors and keeping them in the market.

If you want the SRX 712M, get the 712M. If you just want the small form factor like the 712M, find another speaker that is not a copy and I think you will be happier. The Turbosound is likely not a bad box, but it is a copy, so why not look for a better more original offering?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »

I was going to post earlier but decided against it. After seeing a few posts that mirror my thoughts I guess I will support them. There are a lot of used and NOS SRX 712M's that can be had for roughly the same cost as the copies you're looking at. The TMS is not so much a bad box as much as it is a tribute box. It is like the real thing, but it is not the real thing.

You can get the real thing for roughly the same price. So may as well get the real thing. I don't think you are seeing many reviews about the TMS because those who really want that type of box will simply get the real thing. Same price after all. The TMS is priced out of the entry-level market really. $900 + for a passive speaker isn't exactly screaming take me to the average guy. Those who know what they are looking for and are willing to spend that price already know to look for the SRX 712M. The 700 series has been out of production for over 5 years and you can still find brand new units......... Makes you wonder. JBL is obviously shipping them out to a few vendors and keeping them in the market.

If you want the SRX 712M, get the 712M. If you just want the small form factor like the 712M, find another speaker that is not a copy and I think you will be happier. The Turbosound is likely not a bad box, but it is a copy, so why not look for a better more original offering?

Thanks Luke, you make a great point. Although, besides the SRX712 boxes in the eBay listing Debbie linked (I swear that wasn’t up on the site last night!), I haven’t come across many others in new or like new condition lately. It seems like people are holding on to them, for good reason. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

That said, I am still interested in hearing from anyone that’s actually heard any of the Madrid stuff. The TMS122M can be had for considerably less than $900 (map is $699 here in the states- expect an even better price from your favorite dealer). It stands to be a great deal, if it’s anywhere near as good as the old SRX 712m it’s inspired by.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:43:55 AM by Michael Storey »

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 11:50:54 PM »

Hi Michael

You might want to hold off that eBay purchase as they might be china copies. Ask for pictures of internals
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:13:36 AM by Luis_Marquez »

MikeHarris

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 04:46:05 AM »

I am sure you have already seen these by now but just in case you hadn't...
SRX712m

Ships from Funkytown...won't you take me down

Is my map outta date ?

Rick Powell

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 07:05:06 AM »

Hi Michael

You might want to hold off that eBay purchase as they might be china copies. Ask for pictures of internals

3800 transactions, 100% positive, it is possible but doubtful with that dealer track record.

MikeHarris

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »

3800 transactions, 100% positive, it is possible but doubtful with that dealer track record.

Ficticous town...or do you know where funkytown is ?

Jay Marr

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »

A friend of a friend (yes I know that sounds fake, but this is true) purchased from that same seller (that same ebay add has been up for years).  Said they are authentic. 
Also said the jbl packing box had a big '599' on the side of it, which made my friends believe that the ebay seller bought a batch of them from the warehouse at a discount (maybe when they discontinued them).

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »

Ficticous town...or do you know where funkytown is ?

NYC, according to “Funkytown” songwriter Steven Greenberg.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »

Where are you getting your pricing Luke?

Current TMS122M MAP is $650

As usual, a call to me or any of the other MG dealers on this board would probably be a good idea.

If you need a dedicated wedge from Turbosound, the TFM and TFX boxers are the current crop. Available in powered and passive versions.

There's also the RCF NX12SMA, which has enjoyed much love on this board but is a step up in price.

The TMS is priced out of the entry-level market really. $900 + for a passive speaker isn't exactly screaming take me to the average guy.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »

B&H showed them at $900 something and currently, MF has them at $750. $650 is much more reasonable. I am sure I snagged full retail, for them when I looked. I will be honest and say I didn't do a hefty search for the MAP price. I haven't seen one for less than $700 which is moot because I know they sell for much less, but the average weekend warrior doesn't know that. Even at $700, most average buyers are going to look at it and the QSC K12 and then walk out the door with the QSC.

I am one such person who owns the RCF NX12SMA and will attest that it is a very good dual purpose speaker with an outstanding quality of sound and performance. It isn't exactly cheap, but it is certainly a small step above the next rung down. I would agree that the Turbosound TFM or TFX would be a better option than the TMS. Even though they are a copy of the RCF/db Technologies offerings.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 07:47:29 PM »

Where are you getting your pricing Luke?

Current TMS122M MAP is $650

As usual, a call to me or any of the other MG dealers on this board would probably be a good idea.

If you need a dedicated wedge from Turbosound, the TFM and TFX boxers are the current crop. Available in powered and passive versions.

There's also the RCF NX12SMA, which has enjoyed much love on this board but is a step up in price.

I actually tried the TFX122M-AN. I liked that box a lot, but found it to be a little underpowered for my needs. I decided to return them and shoot for the higher powered TFM. This was right before the recent TFX/TFM price drop. At the new price I might have kept the TFX. I decided to hold off and play the game of "how low can they go" on the TFM...until now.

I would like the new monitor system to be able to cover SOS gigs as well. The 60x40 pattern of the TFX/TFM seemed pretty tight on stage. That combined with the connectors landing on the top of the box (when on a speaker stand) made me decide they might not ideal for SOS applications. I might be over thinking that.

And although I'm fan of powered boxes, I do have a series of events where good old fasion passive boxes would be ideal--quicker to deploy. So thats how I landed on the TMS122M.

It looks like I might be the guinea pig here, as I went ahead and ordered the TMS122M. I'm not a measurement guru, but I can probably post a transfer function when the boxes come in, if anyones interested.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 07:47:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.