ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet and ADJ Beams  (Read 2415 times)

Michael Gorecki

Chauvet and ADJ Beams
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »

Does anybody have any experience with the Chauvet Rogue R1, R2X or ADJ RX ONE, 5RX?

Among other things, I’m looking to add some movers to an existing theater. Application is H.S. theater, from Musicals to dance and choir recitals.

Stage trim height is about 15’ and the viewable stage is probably 40x32. They’ve got ~20 ellipsoidals covering the down- mid stage and  ~15 fresnels covering mid - upstage. So they have the ability to put a ton of light on the stage.

My original plan was R2X but I’m thinking they might be too large for the space (beam angle).

I don’t have time to get anything in there before the PO needs to be cut.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Chauvet and ADJ Beams
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »

If you need a beam fixture. I think the R2X would fit the bill. They come through a lot on tours in a local 1000 cap theatre that has a 37w x 29d stage with a 20' trim and they hold up against bigger, "badder" fixtures well without being "too much" for the room.

We own a bunch of R2 washes and have had zero issues. Obviously a very different fixture, but similar build quality.

I'm curious if a moving wash such as the R2 would be more useful for a theatrical application.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »

You might look at the R3 Spot which has a 13-37 degree zoom.
This makes for a more versatile fixture, though bigger and more expensive.
PM me for pricing.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »

I have varying degrees of experience with the Rogue Series, but I think the better question to ask is what you need the fixtures to do.  “Beam” lights tend not to be very versatile.  Unless you specifically desire the beam look I’d be shopping for something that’s more generic like a spot or wash.  Hybrids exist too.  Hope this helps!

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys, I’ve already got the sales portion covered. I decided on the beams due to the production needs and the environment. The show that sparked this purchase needs the beam look for a couple scenes in it, so the beam is a must.
As far as the hybrids go I’m open to recommendations but short on time at this point. I was informed yesterday the RH1 is EOL and I’ve already told the client to make sure that they’re buying new products.

Still looking for any reviews or experience on the fixtures mentioned in the original post.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:02:48 PM »

Still looking for any reviews or experience on the fixtures mentioned in the original post.

I can only speak to the Rogues, and my experience with the Beams is rather minimal compared to other fixtures in the series.  They're basic beam fixtures and there isn't anything terribly fancy about them.  The R2X adds frost, but otherwise the R1 and R2X are nearly identical in practice minus the difference in light source and slight differences in DMX control.  The R1 Beam is also discontinued.  I don't own these so I can't comment on ease of repair or common issues that need attention, but the rest of the Rogue series seems to be holding up well. 

The way I see it, the Rogue R1 Spot/Wash and the R2 Spot/Wash are the industry's next Martin Mac 250/300 and 500/600, respectively.  Bright enough to be useful, small enough to be portable, rugged enough to handle professional use, and cheap enough for the upper-end weekend warriors to nearly every professional user/rental house to afford.  I still think you'll be much better served with the R2X Spot, especially for the "musicals to dance and choir recitals" portion of your need. 

Just to ask the question, why not rent?  If you're too pressed for time to demo a few units in your performance space I feel there's a high likelihood you're going to end up with a fixture that's either too bright, not bright enough, or just the wrong thing all together.  If you just need a "beam" light for a couple of scenes either rent it, or tighten up the iris in a spot fixture (or drop in a small circular gobo) and call it a day.  Sure, the output is reduced by doing that and it's not a true 0-degree beam angle (neither is the R2X Beam), but it seems ridiculous to me go buy specialty light fixtures sight-unseen for just a few brief uses and then hope they work well enough for everything else, especially at the high school level.  Just my two cents though, and best of luck with this!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »

I have more of a dozen ADJ RX 1's. Its is a good little light but like most beam fixtures, not very versatile.  Though it has a frost function, the beam stays quite narrow.  In the beam mode, it has decent throw, and it is small and light.  I'm not sure of your budget, but I would l look seriously at some of the "hybrid" lights.  They just do so, so much more.  I find I use the prism on the RX 1's a lot just so I can see more of the beam.  If no one else said it, you will want haze for the event.  The beam lights are almost useless without it.  My DF 50 gives extreme hang time.  I also have two Radiance Hazers.  Great machines, but my single oil based DF Hazer is much better in a theater.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.