ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifier Match for SRX835  (Read 6276 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Amplifier Match for SRX835
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »

No one said they should get wet. 

And - again - the OP specificied a passive rig.  You’re answering questions that no one here asked.

We're answering questions about bands running their own sound on the Classic LAB, too.

This belongs in the Lounge.

But TJ makes a point - if weather is a concern with 'active' boxes, it should be a concern with passive boxes as well.  Scott H points out that if the OP intends to bi-amp the SRX835, then *to get performance equal to the the 835P box* requires the use of V5 processing available only in the ITech HD amplifiers.

Both are valid comments even if they exceed the original query of Mr Hogstad.

This place is starting to remind me of the whining bitches over at iRV2.com
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »

No one said they should get wet. 

And - again - the OP specificied a passive rig.  You’re answering questions that no one here asked.
The OP was considering the powered version too.  Dave, a significant number of your relatively few posts come across as pretty rude. You'll make more friends if you tone it down a notch.

Paul Miller

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »

Havard, you're getting some solid advice from several forum heavy hitters. If it seems like most are leaning towards the powered version, there's a reason for that. It's really hard to recommend the passive version when the powered version is only $200 more, weighs 10 lbs. less, and out of the box likely sounds better than what you will ever achieve with a separate amp and processing.

Now, that being said, I totally understand the appeal of staying passive. In your case, you're already running at least one speaker cable per side, and adding a powered top means you'll be running that speaker cable, plus a power cable, plus a signal cable. So, less than ideal as far as setup and efficiency go. You also mentioned winter storage in the trailer, and again, I agree that I'd prefer my sensitive electronics not be subjected to that.

Power consumption is probably a toss-up, with the 1/8th power being within an amp of each other. I wouldn't figure this into my decision.

In the end, all things considered, I'm gonna have to recommend the powered box. And this is coming from a guy that is currently upgrading his main powered system to passive for the summer season.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »

The OP was considering the powered version too.  Dave, a significant number of your relatively few posts come across as pretty rude. You'll make more friends if you tone it down a notch.

Just don’t have time to water things down for the sensative here.

I’m not part of this to make friends; I’m here to learn.  I just wished that people would answer questions as they come. 

I was hoping to learn things here in this thread since I’ve been eyeballing SRX835 rig myself.  But it will - unquestionably- be the passive version.  I have ITechHD amps.  Plenty of processing. 

It also seems I’m not the only one running passive.

Sorry if you’re offended- not my intent.  Just trying to keep on topic.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »

Just don’t have time to water things down for the sensative here.

I’m not part of this to make friends; I’m here to learn.  I just wished that people would answer questions as they come. 

I was hoping to learn things here in this thread since I’ve been eyeballing SRX835 rig myself.  But it will - unquestionably- be the passive version.  I have ITechHD amps.  Plenty of processing. 

It also seems I’m not the only one running passive.

Sorry if you’re offended- not my intent.  Just trying to keep on topic.
You're not the forum editor, and it wasn't even your thread.

Since you like direct communication - the hallmark of this forum is that people often kindly give seasoned answers that may exceed the scope of the original question.  If the OP is smart enough to consider them, they may find that they were asking the wrong question, or had an incomplete perspective that now corrected allows them to make better decisions.  If you are truly seeking education here, giving just a tiny bit of your so valuable time to allow this information instead of trying to shut it down will serve you and other readers much better.  If you're able to put up with the forum community slightly longer, you will find that your online persona plus your real name have direct consequences on your business.  Abrasive attitudes result in lost opportunities for partnership, while helpful attitudes lead to business opportunities. 

I have made a number of friends here, and I value the friendships at least as much as the information. I'm sorry to hear you have no time for this.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 07:51:36 PM »

I’m afraid we’ve gone off topic here.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:39 PM »

I’m afraid we’ve gone off topic here.

It's the nature of Internet forums. Feel free to not post in a thread you feel has gone off track.

Mac

Havard Hogstad

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »

Interesting debate  :)

As a lot of you seem to have experience with the SRX835P. What alternatives did you consider before buying the 835? JBL or other makes.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »

I have installed two systems of SRX835SP and the reasons were simple. It is the most PA you can buy for that price with the feature set included. For me, it is about control and management of the system. The SRX was capable of meeting my minimum requirements in terms of SPL, quality of sound and real-time DSP management. I no longer needed a Drive rack, I could see when the PA was being abused and make changes to it in order to increase the lifespan. The powered SRX has data logging and you can adjust just about everything you can imagine if you really want to dig deep. The fact that it sounded as good as it did out of the box is icing on the cake! There are some offerings from RCF and DB Technologies ( arguably the same company ) that are close in regards to control and system management but come with an extra cost. The SRX line is the best you can get for the money.

Even today there really isn't a speaker that provides the feature set that the SRX has at the price point they are offering it at. Knowing what the powered model can do and where its shortcomings and weaknesses are, you can really see that trying to replicate that same performance reliably with the passive model is a tough challenge. Even if you do have the I-Tech HD amps with the V5 tunings for them, you are still poised with a couple of other downsides. The passive model isn't any more capable than the powered one, the damping factor of the passive model could be a consideration ( albeit a small and negligible one ) compared to the powered model and then you have to consider storage and transportation between the two. The Powered model is lighter, can be made to sound any way you want it to, requires no external DSP or system management and will require less pack space and weight on the truck than the passive model.

I would love to have many other options at my disposal, but money is money and when your playing with someone else's money you are often poised with trying to get what you need on a budget. The SRX line be it passive or powered is a very heavy hitter and can just about check every box there is for an appropriately designed system. There are certainly better units out there, but none that I know of are truly better ( subjectively and objectively ), have the same control and are within a reasonable cost difference to the SRX. If D&B offered a comparable speaker that was only a couple hundred more, you would bet which one would likely be purchased.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

James Paul

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »

Interesting debate  :)

As a lot of you seem to have experience with the SRX835P. What alternatives did you consider before buying the 835? JBL or other makes.
The only other box I considered was the Mackie HD1531 for a sound and build quality that I preferred over the JBL. Decided on JBL for the array-able and narrower 60 degree HF dispersion, and lack of confidence in serviceable Mackie electronics.

The main debate with myself prior to a decision on purchase of second-hand SRX835P was the issue of self-powered vs passive.
Primary criteria that weighed in favor of self-powered was the value and ease of plug & play, next step up from a self-powered two-way SOS scenario. 

I still fancy a pair of the Mackies for man cave/ shop duty, a real possibility at the right second owner buy-in.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.