Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Question about horn design

(1/3) > >>

duane massey:
In the design of a front-loaded horn (full-size, not vented or tapped horn) what part(s) of the design would be affected by the parameters of the chosen woofer?

Chris Grimshaw:
It's important to note that very few bass horns are "full-size". Most end up with compromised mouth size, and rely on multiples working together to increase the mouth area enough to support a flat LF response.

With regards to your question, I'd say the answer is everything. You can't design a horn without a driver, and similarly you can't pick a random driver to go in a horn - you need to find something suitable for the task at hand.

Chris

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: duane massey on March 17, 2019, 01:49:29 pm ---In the design of a front-loaded horn (full-size, not vented or tapped horn) what part(s) of the design would be affected by the parameters of the chosen woofer?

--- End quote ---
The answer has a lot to do with "What do you want the horn to do?"  and more.  Are you looking for simply gain-over a limited freq range.  Or do you want extension?

The cabinet and driver are selected to work together.

Everything is a compromise, and you are constantly trading one thing for another.

Depending on certain things, a "wimper" woofer could produce better results.

duane massey:
When we built this massive pair of 20hz horns in the 70's the designer didn't have a particular driver in mind, other than the size. The results were phenomenal, but I was not aware of the details behind his design. Built a few smaller ones in later years, based on his notes about the flare rate and the compression volume, but never really thought about the woofer itself.
How would the driver affect the flare rate? The volume of the compression unit? This is all just out of curiosity on my part, as I will undoubtedly never have the opportunity to build any more of these.

duane massey:
Pic of one of the horns

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version