ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat 6a vs Cat 5e - wiring a studio  (Read 4883 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Cat 6a vs Cat 5e - wiring a studio
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »

Is Home Depot Cat6 sufficiently shielded for audio or Dante?  Or does the OP need to get more expensive Cat6 that people get for stage and FOH runs?

Here's what I've been looking at to further confuse me but it may make sense to most

https://planetechusa.com/blog/ethernet-different-ethernet-categories-cat3-vs-cat5e-vs-cat6-vs-cat6a-vs-cat7-vs-cat8/

Jay Marr

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »

How about running a large diameter conduit between the rooms.
Then you can pull or change whatever you want in the future.

I thought about this as well...running some pvc or something up in the wall.  I may take a look to see how well that would work.

My only hesitation is if the PVC may touch both the house and my basement (soundproof room), and if vibration transfers from wall to wall via the PVC, then I'll get some sound upstairs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »

Is Home Depot Cat6 sufficiently shielded for audio or Dante?  Or does the OP need to get more expensive Cat6 that people get for stage and FOH runs?

DANTE doesn't care about shields.  It's a TCP/IP compliant protocol and can use *any* functioning network infrastructure of sufficient bandwidth to meet the channel count needs.  Shielding is a matter of network deployment, not DANTE.

AFAIK the only digital audio setup that requires STP is the AES50 implementation used by the X32/M32/S16-32/DL16-32 family of devices.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »

DANTE doesn't care about shields.  It's a TCP/IP compliant protocol and can use *any* functioning network infrastructure of sufficient bandwidth to meet the channel count needs.  Shielding is a matter of network deployment, not DANTE.

AFAIK the only digital audio setup that requires STP is the AES50 implementation used by the X32/M32/S16-32/DL16-32 family of devices.

Thanks Tim.

Picked up 100 feet of Cat 6.  Planning on 2 runs from my office to the studio room.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »

I thought about this as well...running some pvc or something up in the wall.  I may take a look to see how well that would work.

My only hesitation is if the PVC may touch both the house and my basement (soundproof room), and if vibration transfers from wall to wall via the PVC, then I'll get some sound upstairs.

I would consider electric non-metallic tubing-usually use orange for "structured" wiring in residential.  I wouldn't expect it to transmit vibrations very well, easy to install and future proofed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Carlon-SCJ4X1C-50-GUARD-CONDUIT-2-Inch/dp/B0008KL8YY

Steve Swaffer

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »

I would consider electric non-metallic tubing-usually use orange for "structured" wiring in residential.  I wouldn't expect it to transmit vibrations very well, easy to install and future proofed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Carlon-SCJ4X1C-50-GUARD-CONDUIT-2-Inch/dp/B0008KL8YY

That's a neat product I hadn't seen before.
It looks like it would be difficult to push a fish tape through bends due to the ribs. Any experience with that?

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »

Maybe it's just me but if I was putting in a studio, I would want to hard wire snake all the way back to the console .
Latency is and can become an issue.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:36:52 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Taylor Hall

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 02:19:04 PM »

It looks like it would be difficult to push a fish tape through bends due to the ribs. Any experience with that?
I haven't done it personally, but AT&T came out to push fiber into our building and made several runs with this stuff, the tech didn't seem to have any issues with his snake.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »

I believe the ID is relatively smoothe.
Also the plastic is going to have less push and pull friction than metal.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jay Marr

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »

Maybe it's just me but if I was putting in a studio, I would want to hard wire snake all the way back to the console .
Latency is and can become an issue.

This project isn't connecting a snake to a console.  It's about getting internet from my office to my studio.
My snake/console/drums/guitars is all in one room.  Was just thinking about running one or two audio lines in case I ever wanted to pull a guitar or vocal signal to my office.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.