ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat 6a vs Cat 5e - wiring a studio  (Read 4880 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Cat 6a vs Cat 5e - wiring a studio
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

As others have suggested, install some kind of conduit. If that's not feasible, go ahead and install 2-4 runs of balanced shielded audio cable (or bulk snake cable) and 2-4 runs of CATx networking cable. You might not need it, but it's easier (and tidier) to run extra all at once than to have to pull more in later.

Having at least 4 runs of audio cable will allow you to feed multiple signals back and forth.

The extra runs of network cable will allow you to create discrete network segments for different purposes without having to manage VLANs. It will also allow you to use "X-over-CATx" solutions like HDMI extenders while still having Internet access.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »

This project isn't connecting a snake to a console.  It's about getting internet from my office to my studio.
My snake/console/drums/guitars is all in one room.  Was just thinking about running one or two audio lines in case I ever wanted to pull a guitar or vocal signal to my office.

I think most of us were under the impression that your office was your control room since you mentioned having an audio interface there.
Given the simple use case you describe, I would just pull spare CATx and use it for analog signals when needed. Jack plates on either end will make it quite flexible and clean when not in use.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »

Unless you are running a data center in the house, for a few simple flows of Dante between a couple of pairs of devices I don’t think you need vlans. Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jay Marr

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »

I think most of us were under the impression that your office was your control room since you mentioned having an audio interface there.
Given the simple use case you describe, I would just pull spare CATx and use it for analog signals when needed. Jack plates on either end will make it quite flexible and clean when not in use.

Got ya.  The audio interface in my office is a couple of channels.  Usually I use it for throwing some scratch guitar tracks using one of my Fractal devices...or DAW editing.
I think I'm settled on putting a pair of CAT6 cables and having them connected to Jack Plates in each room.

Thanks for the input.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 06:01:03 AM »

That's a neat product I hadn't seen before.
It looks like it would be difficult to push a fish tape through bends due to the ribs. Any experience with that?
Looks a lot nicer than smurf pipe.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 06:02:45 AM »

Unless you are running a data center in the house, for a few simple flows of Dante between a couple of pairs of devices I don’t think you need vlans. Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lol Rob,. I have a bunch if VLAN's in the house.  Security, home automation, wireless, guest wireless, voice, VPN to office and media server!

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 06:06:43 AM »

This project isn't connecting a snake to a console.  It's about getting internet from my office to my studio.
My snake/console/drums/guitars is all in one room.  Was just thinking about running one or two audio lines in case I ever wanted to pull a guitar or vocal signal to my office.
Is the router in another room?  I would run a plate high up on a wall to put a nice AP in like a Ubiquity Unifi. 

Personally if the router is in another room I would put a small switch in the studio then run jacks on at least two walls with two jacks per just because you never know.  You can always use them for analog, serial etc. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 06:06:43 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.