ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Genie SLA-25 for entertainment use  (Read 3252 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Genie SLA-25 for entertainment use
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:53 AM »

These are specified as material lifts.  I see they have an outrigger kit but my main concern is levelers would have to be retrofitted. 

These would be used for light truss lifting (flying large banners behind dance floors and cheer and dance events) possible 4 boxes of mid format line array (well within the 450lb 24" load limit).

Does anyone have any expereince with this application of the life.  I am going to try and call Genie tomorrow and see if they are helpful.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Genie SLA-25 for entertainment use
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:08:31 AM »

They don't seem to have any verbiage on entertainment use on the SLA line like they do with the ST line.  However, the only feature that they highlight about the ST line is that they are black vs silver.  I'm not sure if there are any additional safety features added to the ST line other than the different outrigger systems and different folding design.

Around here, we see  lot of the SLA lines used for entertainment rigs, as you can rent them from construction rental companies pretty cheaply. Sadly, many times you will see them deployed in some pretty unsafe scenarios.

For flying banners indoors and a small array, I don't see much problem using them, as long as access to the units is restricted so people can't play with them.
Brian Jojade

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »

They don't seem to have any verbiage on entertainment use on the SLA line like they do with the ST line.  However, the only feature that they highlight about the ST line is that they are black vs silver.  I'm not sure if there are any additional safety features added to the ST line other than the different outrigger systems and different folding design.

Around here, we see  lot of the SLA lines used for entertainment rigs, as you can rent them from construction rental companies pretty cheaply. Sadly, many times you will see them deployed in some pretty unsafe scenarios.

For flying banners indoors and a small array, I don't see much problem using them, as long as access to the units is restricted so people can't play with them.

Somewhere there is wordage that the Supertowers are the only ones certified for "entertainment use". SLA are not.

Best regards,

John

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »

Only guy I now who uses them Stacks a couple of double 18’s on the forks ...  personally it seems sketchy to me...  he’s been doing it a long time without incident as far as I know.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »

Only guy I now who uses them Stacks a couple of double 18’s on the forks ...  personally it seems sketchy to me...  he’s been doing it a long time without incident as far as I know.

Well I know you can buy an outrigger git.  I would not send them out without levelers so the question is can we drill, add a doubler and weld on the base.  I have a feeling the answer is no.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 08:06:58 PM »

I've owned and used ST-20's for more than 20 years, and used one of the contractor ones once when an ST-20 was in the shop. I don't know about outriggers for the contractor ones so these comments are "absent appropriate outriggers".

The contractor ones can ONLY be used on flat floors and NEVER outdoors or anyplace that will have wind movement. IF used that way, there is supposedly no reason why they can't be used to hang speaker type things, although, again, if there's any possibility that the load can move while in the air they should not be used in that application.

Outriggers would have made me feel more secure in the one situation that I used them, but that's a purchasable and not rental item, at least around here at that time.

The ST's are much more flexible to use and much more stable feeling, so anyone in doubt should always use those. Or some other product.

Genie is still selling both the -20 and -25, so that's a thing.

Gee, that picture of the guy in the hard hat next to a -25 holding up the end of a truss is really old. That's Stan from the Moore (when I was there, later he was with IIRC Robert Cray for a long time and may still be) in the hard hat; that had to be taken before 1994.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »

How does he secure the boxes to the tower so they can't slip?

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »

No idea.  I never get that close to them ...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 01:54:43 AM »

How does he secure the boxes to the tower so they can't slip?

They get stacked on the bottom if he wasn't clear.  We do the same on the Genie's we have been renting.  Generally plywood spans the bottom two legs but we always carry 4x4 sills that we use to level stages and risers.

Here is a pic of 4 x 87lbs FBT's + 40lbs bumper bar on Genie's with three Meyer 650R2's on the bottom.  (500lbs)  The perspective is a little off on the pick.  I think the peak of the roof is 50'  We had to strap a 20' stepladder to the scissor lift to hang the ball (just kidding).

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38624400_2107770755931557_8295046453898772480_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=0228c3e6d5ee3a5967dbf284e20b5aec&oe=5D205B5C

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 02:34:23 AM »

Somewhere there is wordage that the Supertowers are the only ones certified for "entertainment use". SLA are not.

Best regards,

John

There are some local guys that use lifts that I believe are Genie. They don't appear to have outriggers. They pile a bunch of road cases on the base and then fly 2 boxes of a JBL curve array beneath 2 subwoofers. The last time I saw them they were suspending the speakers from a nylon strap. The wind would make them turn sideways.
You can see the base of the lift very well in this video. I take it that these are the "not for entertainment use" model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_nneeBjoek

screen shot attached.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 02:34:23 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 23 queries.