ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dcx2496 bricked?  (Read 3274 times)

Johannes Halvorsen

Dcx2496 bricked?
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »

(I have tried posting this in Music group's forum, but no responses so far. My gut feeling is there might be someone here with more clue about these matters than over there.)

I have a dcx2496 that seems to be bricked. I tried to update from fw 1.17 to 1.18, and got a file transfer error. I then tried to change the com port settings in Windows. Don't know which of these to faults that did the tirck, but now it's dead...

When I try to power it on the display lights up with the dcx2496 logo for a fraction of a second, same with the leds. Then all leds goes dark and display goes dark green; it is clearly powered on, but no function is available.

I HAVE tried to talk to the unit again over rs232, and i HAVE tried to do a reset as outlined here . Still dead.

Both the unit and the PC-sync worked as it should before my frackup.

Is there hope? Any not-publicaly-documented procedures I can try? I'm not afraid to open up the unit and e.g. do a reflash if anyone could tell me how... The unit is no longer under waranty. It is to cheap to be worth a trip to a certified service workshop.

James Paul

Re: Dcx2496 bricked?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:01:16 AM »

Is there hope? Any not-publicaly-documented procedures I can try? I'm not afraid to open up the unit and e.g. do a reflash if anyone could tell me how... The unit is no longer under waranty. It is to cheap to be worth a trip to a certified service workshop.

The procedure as described via this link worked for me, though it would require an additional known working unit to accomplish. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/226523-un-brick-dcx2496.html

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »

The procedure as described via this link worked for me, though it would require an additional known working unit to accomplish. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/226523-un-brick-dcx2496.html
Alas, I don't have a workung unit. :(

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »

Alas, I don't have a workung unit. :(
One of the many pit-falls of computers.

If not already, you may want to try another key combination for a reset.  The manual references holding the "page" buttons and powering-on (which looks like you did).  There's probably another key combo available that may result in something different (good??  bad??). In my experience, there's usually more than one way to access a computers firmware/BIOS/PROM, whatever they may be using.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »

I just found somebody that appears to be selling eeprom chips for these, hope this isn't out of date and helps.. http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Pro-Audio-Accessories/Behringer/DCX2496/EEPROM-UN-BRICK-FROM-BAD-FIRMWARE-FLASH/86352

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »

In case someone comes here looking for the answer to this same problem:

It was all very simple. Holding down the input A button while powering up puts the unit in software flashing mode. Now the remote software sees the unit and is able to flash it.

Case closed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:41:03 PM by Johannes Halvorsen »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »

It was all very simple. Holding down the input A button while powering up puts the unit in software flashing mode. Now the remote software sees the unit and is able to flash it.

Case closed.

Awesome.  Where/how did you find out how to do it?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

James Paul

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:40:32 AM »

Case closed.

IME may not always worked as described for some units. YMMV   

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:52:09 AM »

Awesome.  Where/how did you find out how to do it?
Someone mentioned it in one of tje gazillion forums I trawled through:

https://www.google.com/amp/longview.be/amp/behringer-dcx2496-failed-update-recovery.html

Can't find any other documentation, and there seems to be an actual market for replacement eproms for this unit. Most of thise sellers reffers to failed fw update as a reason to buy their product... Glad I didn't have to. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:52:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.