ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha TF1 Multichannel playback via USB thumbdrive  (Read 3875 times)

Tom Ryan

Yamaha TF1 Multichannel playback via USB thumbdrive
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »

Hello All,

We are considering the Yamaha TF1 for a somewhat unique use.  We would like to playback a 16 channel WAV file via the USB with a thumb drive and output to the 16 TFI output channels.  These would feed 16 loudspeakers for acoustic auralization demonstrations.

Does anyone know if the TF1 is capable of this or would the playback have to come from a host computer/DAW through the 32x32 interface?  We have configured the audio files in Reaper with the Harpex-X 16 channel ambisonic encoder.  Bottom line is we need to get the 16 channel streams to the TF1 outputs.  Thoughts?

Graham Smyth

Re: Yamaha TF1 Multichannel playback via USB thumbdrive
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »

Hi.. before I reply you'll need to change your profile and use your real name,  per the forum rules. Thanks 

Tom Ryan

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »

Hi.. before I reply you'll need to change your profile and use your real name,  per the forum rules. Thanks

Sorry, corrected as Tom Ryan

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »

Hello All,

We are considering the Yamaha TF1 for a somewhat unique use.  We would like to playback a 16 channel WAV file via the USB with a thumb drive and output to the 16 TFI output channels.  These would feed 16 loudspeakers for acoustic auralization demonstrations.

Does anyone know if the TF1 is capable of this or would the playback have to come from a host computer/DAW through the 32x32 interface?  We have configured the audio files in Reaper with the Harpex-X 16 channel ambisonic encoder.  Bottom line is we need to get the 16 channel streams to the TF1 outputs.  Thoughts?

It will need to be multi-track from a DAW or other computer playback like QLab or Audacity. The USB stick is 2 track only on all theYamaha consoles I have used.

Mac.

Graham Smyth

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:55:59 PM »

Regarding the outputs on the TF1, I think you would be able to route each of the 16 tracks individually to the 16 OMNI outs.   There are 8 mono aux's, plus 6 stereo aux's.  You cannot unlink the stereo aux's, so I suppose you would have to hard pan left or right on those six.  So using aux channels, there are 14 input channels that you could patch to physical OMNI outputs 1 through 14.   As for the remaining two channels, you could use the mono SUB output, and one of the two matrix outs.. routing those to OMNI 15 and 16.   
regards, Graham                 

Tom Ryan

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

It will need to be multi-track from a DAW or other computer playback like QLab or Audacity. The USB stick is 2 track only on all theYamaha consoles I have used.

Mac.

Thanks Mac. We can use Reaper and assign the outputs to the TF1 interface then.

Tom

Tom Ryan

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:56 PM »

Regarding the outputs on the TF1, I think you would be able to route each of the 16 tracks individually to the 16 OMNI outs.   There are 8 mono aux's, plus 6 stereo aux's.  You cannot unlink the stereo aux's, so I suppose you would have to hard pan left or right on those six.  So using aux channels, there are 14 input channels that you could patch to physical OMNI outputs 1 through 14.   As for the remaining two channels, you could use the mono SUB output, and one of the two matrix outs.. routing those to OMNI 15 and 16.   
regards, Graham               

Great info Graham. So far, the TF1 is the only thing we have found with the required output count at an affordable price. The routing will be fun but possible.

Tom

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:03:26 AM »

Great info Graham. So far, the TF1 is the only thing we have found with the required output count at an affordable price. The routing will be fun but possible.

Tom

Take a look at the QU series from Allen and Heath.  They offer multitrack recording and playback from a USB and the larger 24 and 32 input consoles have a lot of outputs.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:48:01 AM »

Direct outs from some consoles can be picked after EQ if you need that.

What is the reason to feed a console and simply take the channels back out? That is, what is the console(mixer) doing for you since it isn’t mixing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tom Ryan

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:58 AM »

Direct outs from some consoles can be picked after EQ if you need that.

What is the reason to feed a console and simply take the channels back out? That is, what is the console(mixer) doing for you since it isn’t mixing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hello Rob,

The reason is really two fold.  We need to be able to control the levels to each output locally because 8 of the active loudspeakers will be overhead and tough to get to once installed to adjust gains.  Also, we will need to apply some delay to align certain loudspeakers. We could do this within the DAW and use a D/A (we looked at the Motu 24Ao) but would be cumbersome to do quickly on-site. We realize this isn't using the console to anywhere near its capability.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.