ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dmx Controller with Master Dimmer  (Read 8218 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Dmx Controller with Master Dimmer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

Based on the OP's wording, it sounded like he was looking at a simple controller, not a full featured pro console.

That was my reading, too.  With all identical fixtures,  Earl has many options assuming all lights have identical settings.  If not, back at square one.  QLC+ or Luminaire would seem to be the better option than a hardware controller in my extremely limited experience. 

frank

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »

An actual master dimmer reduces the increment on EVERY addressed channel.
If you have a color macro or internal program running, or have a mover, everything will go wonky.
In Luminair, for example, you can link similar faders, so if you move one, they all move.

Thanks Dave, So now I get how it works. This means that my lights need to be set I the color only mode so the dimmer affects only the colors and not other functions.

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 11:18:25 AM »

That was my reading, too.  With all identical fixtures,  Earl has many options assuming all lights have identical settings.  If not, back at square one.  QLC+ or Luminaire would seem to be the better option than a hardware controller in my extremely limited experience. 

frank

I was planning to go the software route in the long run. The one thing I would love to do is sync lights and music in a timeline. Showxpress seems like one of the few (lower cost) software solutions that offers this feature? ...is that correct? if it wasn't for the timeline thing, then MyDMX seems to affer a lot of "cool" effects and a great GUI. Does anyone know if Showxpress has the master dimmer function? My thought was to start with a simple hardware console and move to a full featured software solution in time...but maybe I should jump right into a software console from the start???

Steve Garris

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

I was planning to go the software route in the long run. The one thing I would love to do is sync lights and music in a timeline. Showxpress seems like one of the few (lower cost) software solutions that offers this feature? ...is that correct? if it wasn't for the timeline thing, then MyDMX seems to affer a lot of "cool" effects and a great GUI. Does anyone know if Showxpress has the master dimmer function? My thought was to start with a simple hardware console and move to a full featured software solution in time...but maybe I should jump right into a software console from the start???

I've been learning DMXIS, now called Show Buddy Active. It has a Master dimmer. It can be combined with Show Buddy for live timeline playback with tracks and video. I like that it is both Mac and PC based.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »

Based on the OP's wording, it sounded like he was looking at a simple controller, not a full featured pro console.

That was my general interpretation as well, but the OP has not specified a budget yet.  I wouldn't consider a QuickQ to be a pro console either, but something that helps to fill a very stagnant market for hardware boards that are more capable than the $200 ADJ products but not in the $5000+ bracket. 

...but maybe I should jump right into a software console from the start???

Earl, what's your budget?  Reading between the lines here, it sounds like you already have an ADJ DMX Operator (clone) but want something that gives you overall intensity control, better color control, and timeline playback.  Is that correct?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »

QLC+ does have such a feature, not sure about luminaire or others.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 11:21:08 PM »

That was my general interpretation as well, but the OP has not specified a budget yet.  I wouldn't consider a QuickQ to be a pro console either, but something that helps to fill a very stagnant market for hardware boards that are more capable than the $200 ADJ products but not in the $5000+ bracket. 

Earl, what's your budget?  Reading between the lines here, it sounds like you already have an ADJ DMX Operator (clone) but want something that gives you overall intensity control, better color control, and timeline playback.  Is that correct?

My budget is lets say under $500 for hardware, $500 for software.

I would like to start on a hardware controller that I could always use as backup in case my computer solution carps out. I found an Elation Magic 260 that is amost new so I am going to give that a try first. Getting my fixtures mapped into it might be a bit of a challenge but Im sure Ill get there.  It does have a master fader but after reading the manual Im unsure if it really does what I want. When running a 'show" as they call it, can the master fader knob control the brightness of the entire show? I guess im about to find out. Ive got a DMX king USB interface that should work with QLC+. This might be a good place to start on the software side because it is free. Ill probably end it with Showxpress just for the timeline feature. Programming lights to music for s spotlight dance would be fantastic.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 11:22:34 PM »

QLC+ does have such a feature, not sure about luminaire or others.

Taylor, what feature are you talking about. Master Dimmer? or Timeline?
Thank you.

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 11:53:22 PM »

Jeff, thank you for your feedback. In a hardware controller I just want simple scenes that can run as a chase with the ability to control the overall brightness. In a software solution, I would like it to be able to do some very cool effects, have a master dimmer feature and do a timeline. No real budget but under $1000 for a solution would be in line.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »

Taylor, what feature are you talking about. Master Dimmer? or Timeline?
Thank you.
I was specifically referencing the timeline feature, but it has the grand master fader as well.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.