ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf  (Read 8582 times)

Heath Eldridge

RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:38:08 AM »

I’ve currently got a pair of RCF 705mk2 subs.

For what they are, they’re great. But I want a bigger sub for the pub jobs I’m doing where they just lack a bit of oomph.

I need a high pass out.

What’s the difference between a JBL PRX818xlf and am RCF 8003asmk2? Is the RCF worth almost 50% more?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »

Have never used nor heard the RCF 8003asmk, but I do have the JBL PRX718xlf (the previous version to what you are inquiring about).  The xlf is a nice speaker, but from my experience with it... it does NOT have the oomph you are probably looking for.  The xlf does great with very low frequencies, but falls short for anything I would consider a "chest slam" thump.

I use the RCF NXL and HDL speakers for my mid/high components.  Have yet to hear a bad RCF speaker.  The RCF may be a better choice for 50% more.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »

The comparison should probably be made between the 8003 and the SRX818 - not the PRX818. It would be a closer call.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:21:41 AM »

Agreed, the Prx is not in the same league. The SRX is more in that alley. Between the SRX and the 8003 spec wise, I would imagine they are about the same. A couple few db is not really going to make either one win or lose. Which one sounds the best is up for debate. I own the SRX 818 and I think it is very much as the specs suggest, relatively flat and loud and gets pretty darn low. Knowing RCF ( I own some of their stuff too ), they are rather honest, so I see the sub sounding pretty much as the specs suggest and getting close to as loud as stated.

Now is the RCF still worth $700 or so more than the SRX? That is up to you to decide. I would say no once you consider the actual difference in performance, but without a side by side, that is just an opinion. I know 1 sub for bar band stuff is usually not enough, but when I bring both of my SRX 818's, the people know what's up! I used to own a set of PRX 500 series subs and two of them just barely did the job. The extra 5-6db I got with the SRX's made the difference. That being said, if it were only a 3db difference I don't think it would be enough to go from just enough to more than enough. I think you need a true 6db boost to notice a substantial difference and realize a real result. So if 1 RCF sub isn't enough, two might make it just enough dependent upon setup.

When the subs are placed directly next to each other, you can generally expect between a +3db to +6db gain in output. I don't really like saying +6db because it is only true in a perfect world. You can at least expect 4-5db more in output for sure though. Now if the one sub alone was just enough as it is, then a second sub may tilt the scales towards sufficient with a little wiggle room. There is a trick you can employ that can help free up a few more db ( almost as much as +7db actually ) depending on how you are driving the sub currently. I have a video you can view if you are interested. Honestly, you should get another matching sub or simply get another set of more efficient subs if you really want that much more output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtY0X6Pkf3c
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:25:09 AM »

Oh... I used the term “sub” vaguely... I’d be planning on getting a pair.

Au prices are:
Prx 818 1699
Srx 818sp 2200
8003 2500
8004 4000

Another question that is related is, there is the option of just getting a second pair of 705s. This would be cheaper, and each individual box much lighter.

How would 2 x 705 a side compare to 1 x 8003?

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »

Oh... I used the term “sub” vaguely... I’d be planning on getting a pair.

Au prices are:
Prx 818 1699
Srx 818sp 2200
8003 2500
8004 4000

Another question that is related is, there is the option of just getting a second pair of 705s. This would be cheaper, and each individual box much lighter.

How would 2 x 705 a side compare to 1 x 8003?

I think you can find a better deal overall on the rcf than the jbl but the rcf will still cost more. You may want to look at the 8004. Street price seems to sit around $2k.

I own the srx828 and while it’s a good sub and goes loud, I don’t believe the specs for a second. I also have a pair of 9006 and they seem much more true to spec. Despite listing one Db more than the 828, the 9006 seems to have quite a bit more volume and punch.

I get these are two entirely different price points and markets but I would expect similar results with the 8003 being more true to spec. Either will give you good performance. The srx800 series is a great value.

Your best bet is reaching out dealers or production companies that may have experience with both.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »

I've got a pair of the PRX718xlf and while i like them, a single 18" sub (even a good one) is only gonna give so much oomph. It'd likely make more sense to go with a dual 18" design to get the output, rather than jumping up a price bracket but sticking with a single driver.

If transport is an issue (it is for me) then doubling up on your current system may be your best bet.

I’ve currently got a pair of RCF 705mk2 subs.

For what they are, they’re great. But I want a bigger sub for the pub jobs I’m doing where they just lack a bit of oomph.

I need a high pass out.

What’s the difference between a JBL PRX818xlf and am RCF 8003asmk2? Is the RCF worth almost 50% more?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:58:14 PM »

2 of the 705's will be just about equal to one 8003 or 8004 in terms of output. Sound wise? I bet the 8003 and 8004 sound better but come with that cost too. The one upside to having 4 subs is deployment options. You can do a bit more with 4 subs than you can 2 even if they produce the same total output. 

I suspect as Mike says that the RCF is more truthful in specs. While I have not A/B'd all the option listed here I can only say that the JBL SRX 818/828 is a serious sub and puts out good volume, it just probably isn't quite what they say it is. Looking at the passive model is probably more realistic idea of what could happen. The passive SRX828 says it is capable of 135db at 4,800 peak watts. This means realistically you're only going to get 132-129db in peak output ( can't actually send it 4,800 watts!!! ). After calculating for crest factor you are probably only going to see a real-world output of around 122-124db. The powered model says it will do 141db peak....... with 2,000 watts........ which means it has a sensitivity of about 104db 1W 1M. The passive boasts 98. I'm no ventriloquist, but someone has a hand up the butt of the marketing department telling them to put some numbers up. So I don't expect to see the peak number, but I bet you can get a serious 120+ db out of them, which is pretty darn good really. If you are getting a true 120db, at 100' you are still seeing 90+ db, which is not too shabby really. With a set of 4 SRX 828's you will be well into 100db plus at 100'.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »

RCF says the 8004 has a max of 136db@2500w. This would be a sensitivity of 103db, for a SINGLE 18"...

If it had double 18's, like the 828, i could believe it, but a single 18?

I own several 8004's, and i like them a lot, and yes they go very loud while sounding very good, but physics still apply.

John Schalk

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

I have not used any of the subs mentioned in this thread, but I am actively shopping for new subs myself, so I've been looking at specs and collecting quotes for a number of models and the RCF 8003 Mk II is one of them.

If you search YouTube you will find a decent online demo/review by a US based sound company for the 8003 Mk II.  I really like the configurable DSP that RCF has installed in their new sub models and because of that, I feel that the JBL SRX 818sp is the better comp, not the PRX818XLf.  I think the increased feature set is what you are paying for in the 8003 or 818sp, not so much significantly more output.

With that being said, for rock n roll in a pub, I don't believe that any of these subs, with the possible exception of the 8004, will provide enough output if you only use a single sub per side.  You might be better off picking up another pair of what you already have unless you want to make a transition now to something with more features and a bit more output. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.