ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf  (Read 8392 times)

Jay Marr

Re: RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 04:48:00 PM »

I still can't get over the lack of a pole cup on the side of the SRX828p cabinet. I suppose I could make one and attach it via one of the handles, but it really should already have one.

It would be awesome if JBL (or any hardware manufacturer) made a handle/pole mount component that you could buy and just swap out.
A plate with the same size and bolt pattern with a pole mount hole instead of a handle.

If I could weld, I'd try it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »

It would be awesome if JBL (or any hardware manufacturer) made a handle/pole mount component that you could buy and just swap out.
A plate with the same size and bolt pattern with a pole mount hole instead of a handle.

If I could weld, I'd try it.

Unlikely to happen, because manufacturers become responsible for a conversion or alteration done by the end user.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »

Unlikely to happen, because manufacturers become responsible for a conversion or alteration done by the end user.

Good point, and a bummer (for me).

I made my own conversion kit with a piece of plywood and a M20 pole mount.  Has worked perfectly.  But even with the plywood painted black, I wish it looked more professional.

As I type this I'm thinking - I have some Duratex paint in my basement, and the roller....I think that would make it look 'better'.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »

Google speaker pole mount.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jay Marr

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 02:33:56 PM »

Google speaker pole mount.

Sure, I see lots of 'top hat' options available, but require you to drill a hole in your cabinet.
I'm using a M20 top had, and replaced one handle with a piece of plywood (so I could mount the top hat to that, instead of drilling holes in my sub).

Unless you're finding something different than that solution?  If so, please add a link, would love to see it.
Thanks!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »

I've never quite understood the aversion to modifying you own stuff to make it better / easier to use.
Maybe not a vintage J-bass, but a working tool like a sub is fair game in my book.
Just be careful that you don't drill into something important inside.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 06:00:03 PM »

I've never quite understood the aversion to modifying you own stuff to make it better / easier to use.
Maybe not a vintage J-bass, but a working tool like a sub is fair game in my book.

My concern is not what might happen to the sub, but what will happen when I put my own pole mount on a side of the box that JBL never intended to have one, it gets knocked down, pulled down, an earthquake topples it.... and because *I* made the modification, *I* now own the consequences of whatever happens, even if there's a drunk idiot swinging from the pole or the earthquake shakes the building.  I've raised the COG of the assembly in a way that JBL didn't plan for so they're mostly off the hook.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:37:35 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »

Resale...and having to explain to a buyer why my modification is safe/useful.
That's my main driver.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.