ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf  (Read 8607 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: RCF 8003 vs JBL PRX818xlf
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »

I have not used any of the subs mentioned in this thread, but I am actively shopping for new subs myself, so I've been looking at specs and collecting quotes for a number of models and the RCF 8003 Mk II is one of them.

If you search YouTube you will find a decent online demo/review by a US based sound company for the 8003 Mk II.  I really like the configurable DSP that RCF has installed in their new sub models and because of that, I feel that the JBL SRX 818sp is the better comp, not the PRX818XLf.  I think the increased feature set is what you are paying for in the 8003 or 818sp, not so much significantly more output.

With that being said, for rock n roll in a pub, I don't believe that any of these subs, with the possible exception of the 8004, will provide enough output if you only use a single sub per side.  You might be better off picking up another pair of what you already have unless you want to make a transition now to something with more features and a bit more output.

In the smaller clubs and pubs, I use a single SRX818p or PRX718xlf  per side all the time - the band is rock'n'roll and we hit pretty hard.  I still get asked to turn down....
I even get away with using only one sub in some places (small clubs and bars) but one per side is more than enough in most places we play of medium size. Rarely do I have to add my SRX828p for inside shows and I tend to only bring it to outside shows.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Schalk

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »

In the smaller clubs and pubs, I use a single SRX818p or PRX718xlf  per side all the time - the band is rock'n'roll and we hit pretty hard.  I still get asked to turn down....
I even get away with using only one sub in some places (small clubs and bars) but one per side is more than enough in most places we play of medium size. Rarely do I have to add my SRX828p for inside shows and I tend to only bring it to outside shows.

I will have to defer to Debbie's real world experience with these subs, but the system I currently mix on indoors has an EV Phoenix dual 18" sub per side with a single QRx 153 on top.  My band has two Marshall half-stacks on stage, a 4 x 10" bass rig, and a 260lb rock drummer.  A single 18" sub per side would not get the job done for us.  That's what I mean by loud rock band.  And the band is on ears, so there isn't any wedge wash to deal with.  They're just loud.  And popular :)

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »

Same here. I do loud, rock tribute bands with my single 818's per side and they get the job done nicely. The club I work at uses (1) double 18 SRX box for the entire 250 seat room. It's barely breathing and the system sounds great.

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 04:03:11 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I’ve worked most of these pubs with another band using a single 8003 per side (the old ones). They definitely tickle the limiters but get the job done.

There’s no way I’d get a 2 x 18 box. Too heavy. I generally set up alone. The srx 828 definitely has appeal (great price too). But too big and heavy.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 07:16:06 AM »

Another PRX XLF owner here. 

1 per side is more than enough for all but the largest bar venues.  I have used them in a venue 110 ft by 90 ft where nearly half of the area was the dance floor and around 300 people were there.

I was ticking the limiters all night, but it sounded great and was hard hitting on the dance floor where the power alley was focused.  They can do the job even with a loud band IME.

Any bigger than that and I would need to have a pair per side.

I am djing a wedding this weekend with over 300 and I will be bringing one sub per side.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 10:20:31 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I’ve worked most of these pubs with another band using a single 8003 per side (the old ones). They definitely tickle the limiters but get the job done.

There’s no way I’d get a 2 x 18 box. Too heavy. I generally set up alone. The srx 828 definitely has appeal (great price too). But too big and heavy.

We have a few SRX828p and I've found them relatively light (I'm used to moving much heavier subs as a stage hand) and very well balanced.  While I can't and won't discount your personal experiences, I guess my standards of comparison are not typical.

I'm over age 60 and set up an arena event (not a music concert) yesterday as the only audio dept employee from our shop.  I guess it's a matter of what one is accustomed to doing...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 04:28:40 AM »

We have a few SRX828p and I've found them relatively light (I'm used to moving much heavier subs as a stage hand) and very well balanced.  While I can't and won't discount your personal experiences, I guess my standards of comparison are not typical.

I'm over age 60 and set up an arena event (not a music concert) yesterday as the only audio dept employee from our shop.  I guess it's a matter of what one is accustomed to doing...
Tim,. You are my hero.  Insipiration I have another decade of fun before I have to hangup my harness.

Seriously,. We have STX828s,. Just a hair bigger than the SRX.   I would not want to do stairs myself but I can push them up a ramp and into most any club.  I can stack them 2 high also. 

I agree the value proposition is much better for the SRX828's.  Of course that"s easy for me to say as I have a dozen KW-181's for the small stuff. 

We get a lot of work out of the STX's

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rick Powell

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »

I am *a few years* over age 60 and routinely cart around Danley TH118s on the weekend. To me, the 140-160lb double 18's (or similar variants of double height of a single reflex box), when on rear casters and well placed handles, are easier to maneuver around, tilt up into a trailer or van, and pull up/let down stairs than a single 18 on a dolly board, wheels, or hand truck.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »

I do have to concur with Tim regarding the SRX828sp and how easy it is to move it around.
The placement of the handles (and the fact there are 2 vertical and 2 horizontal per side) and light weight of the SRX828sp  allows for a much easier loading, moving and deployment experience than could otherwise be the case with a cabinet of this size. As long as someone has the room to store and transport it, it is an excellent value in terms of sound quality and price point.
I can lift one end up into the back of the van on my own making sure it doesn't slip backwards, then move to the other end and lift that side up and forward into the van...ta da. I cannot load the SRX818sp on my own!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:26:59 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »

I still can't get over the lack of a pole cup on the side of the SRX828p cabinet. I suppose I could make one and attach it via one of the handles, but it really should already have one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.