ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Go-Bye Contract for renting live sound gear  (Read 1827 times)

Tony Mamoh

Go-Bye Contract for renting live sound gear
« on: March 18, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »

I apologise for hitting a raw nerve, since this might have been addressed elsewhere...

I run a small PA rental outfit and I'm looking for a concise go-bye contract for rental of my gear. I am looking for two distinct types of contract document and their appropriate language. The first is for clients directly; while the second is for scenarios where I subcontract to bigger PA Rental companies; or to a colleague who perhaps has multiple/conflicting gigs but retains 'ownership' even where I run the production on his behalf.

In the second scenario, they sometimes require specific additional gear for larger venues or gigs (eg needing more wireless mics; or only headworn/lapel mics; or more overflow/delay speakers for a specific zone).

One other general question: when does your hourly/daily rental  billing start? Is it once the gear leaves your store; or when the gear arrives the venue?

In the first scenario, travel time (and any unplanned delay due to traffic etc)  could potentially be passed to the client.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:23:20 AM by Tony Mamoh »

Jerome Malsack

Re: Go-Bye Contract for renting live sound gear
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »

uhaul and enterprise start the billing when you drive off the lot.  However,  Sound Rentals have been very nice about charging me for 1 day use.  Pickup late friday and return on late monday. 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:09 PM »

In both scenarios, are you renting out gear, or are you renting out your service?

If you're renting out the hardware, there's plenty of online samples for equipment rental, and appropriate verbiage in the contract that covers you if the customer doesn't return the gear or damages it.  When doing dry rentals, we charge from the day it's picked up until the day it's returned.  I really don't care how long your event is. If the gear's in your hands, you're paying for it.

I don't do hourly rental for gear.  That seems a bit insane. Minimum rental is for a day which takes it out of availability for 3 days for others to rent, just because I don't want to have to scramble if something isn't returned on time.

For production services, that's a different animal completely.  While I'll line item everything to create the estimate, the actual details can be a little foggier.  Eg, if there's a production on Saturday and the venue lets me set up on Thursday when I've got free time, I may go in early. I won't charge an extra day rental for that, as it was to my convenience to make it happen that way.
Brian Jojade

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »

Regardless of what verbiage you end up with, *make sure* your insurance company signs off on it. You can put anything in there you want, but if insurance denies a claim because the verbiage didn't meet their needs, you're going to be out of luck.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Stone

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:06 PM »

Regardless of what verbiage you end up with, *make sure* your insurance company signs off on it. You can put anything in there you want, but if insurance denies a claim because the verbiage didn't meet their needs, you're going to be out of luck.

-Ray

This and I'd also suggest your lawyer take a read through it too.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:17 AM »

I apologise for hitting a raw nerve, since this might have been addressed elsewhere...

Not raw, but scabbed over... contracts - as a topic - come up about once a year.

I run a small PA rental outfit and I'm looking for a concise go-bye contract for rental of my gear. I am looking for two distinct types of contract document and their appropriate language. The first is for clients directly; while the second is for scenarios where I subcontract to bigger PA Rental companies; or to a colleague who perhaps has multiple/conflicting gigs but retains 'ownership' even where I run the production on his behalf.

In the second scenario, they sometimes require specific additional gear for larger venues or gigs (eg needing more wireless mics; or only headworn/lapel mics; or more overflow/delay speakers for a specific zone).

More than 2; let's break this down.  Do I understand the first type to be when a retail client comes and rents equipment from you, and you do not provide any other services?  How about business-to-business rentals where you provide only equipment and no other services?  Or the other scenario - subcontract - that has other considerations, such as *you* taking care of your own Workman's comp for any employees you may have on site, have general liability insurance that can list the primary contractor and/or event as an additional insured, and that you provide a self-contained service for the scope of your duties.

Or are you thinking of when a client comes to you for a service, like "...to provide sound technicians and equipment for Swamp Stomp in the Park 2019"?

One other general question: when does your hourly/daily rental  billing start? Is it once the gear leaves your store; or when the gear arrives the venue?

In the first scenario, travel time (and any unplanned delay due to traffic etc)  could potentially be passed to the client.

Rental begins when the gear leaves the shop.  Shop prep time is part of the rental overhead; you can decide if you want to build that into item rental prices or bill it as a separate line item.  I suggest the former for simple things like a SoS retail rental, and the latter when you have to package IEM racks or video racks or build stage looms, things of that nature.  The clock stops when the gear is returned and deemed to be in acceptable condition.  1) How you charge for that time is up to you.  2) How you *bill* it is up to you.

Travel time - If you are providing a service to a client, or subcontracting your services to another business - how you additionally compensate your employees for unusual delays will likely be seen by the client as "not my problem" unless previously agreed to and included in your contract.  Negotiating terms is another matter and depends on the nature of the gig and goes beyond the scope of the contract itself.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.