ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Static Cat5e STP????  (Read 11468 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: Static Cat5e STP????
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 07:21:25 AM »

What does this mean?

Mac

Running an anolog snake from stage to a Midas stage box at FOH.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 03:55:34 PM »

Running an anolog snake from stage to a Midas stage box at FOH.

So you put a stage box at FOH connected by CAT whatever to the console a couple of feet away, and ignore the XLR's built in to the console?

That seems unusual.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 03:58:14 PM »

So you put a stage box at FOH connected by CAT whatever to the console a couple of feet away, and ignore the XLR's built in to the console?

That seems unusual.

Alchemy.  It's all about the alchemy.   8)

I think Jonathan is saying if ESD is a likely issue, go with the analog snake.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »

That seems unusual.
It depends on what console is being used and how many inputs/outputs are needed. With the pro 1 I can use my anolog snake(solo) if I’m using less than 24 inputs. If the pro 2 is called for then I use both the anolog and digital snakes together.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:45:06 PM by Mac Kerr »

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 03:09:23 AM »

I just set up a Producer and an S32 and got out my modified barbeque sparker, which generates a real nice static spark that lasts as long as you hold down the trigger (C Battery powered).

With Unshielded Belden Duracat with Ethercons (the latter is a red herring, alas), the signal is disrupted real nice by touching the spark to any part of the stage box or console.

Touching any part of the insulated cable also disrupts the signal.

Using the Behringer brand shielded cable with Ethercons (~150' on a plastic reel), since that one was the easiest to get to, touching anything, including the middle of the cable on the reel, does nothing. I believe that any shielded cable with metal RJ45 and bonded Ethercon (meaning just sitting there as it does when you install it, not soldered or anything) will behave the same way.

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:34 AM »

Dan, I have done the spark generator tests in my shop with the same  results. Shielded cable that has good continuity passes the spark test. I still experience audio drops in this room with the shielded cable.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »

Dan, I have done the spark generator tests in my shop with the same  results. Shielded cable that has good continuity passes the spark test. I still experience audio drops in this room with the shielded cable.

Maybe I missed it, but are you using a UPS on the console? And your Ethercons are bonded to the metal RJ45's?

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but are you using a UPS on the console? And your Ethercons are bonded to the metal RJ45's?

Yes to both questions.

The room I speak of has very high levels of static electricity. You can usually experience a decent shock after walking from stage to FOH and touching the console. Performers often experience shocks from equipment and mics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »

Yes to both questions.

The room I speak of has very high levels of static electricity. You can usually experience a decent shock after walking from stage to FOH and touching the console. Performers often experience shocks from equipment and mics.

So what's up with that?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »

What I don't get is why this is a problem only on the X-32 and its relatives. No other mixing system, so far as I know, suffers from this. I routinely hook up my A&H with 110 ft of unshielded CAT5 with floating connector shells and never have had a problem. In two venues (so far) I plug the control surface into a nearby receptacle (presumably on a different branch circuit, likely a different panel) in the back of the room to avoid having to run power to FOH. Never a problem. Why don't they just fix this? All they need to do is copy the design of the Ethernet interface used in any other network device on earth. And they have a reputation for being good at copying  ;D   (I know, they sell plenty of product as is, but really?)

--Frank

The thing is, it's NOT using Ethernet as the protocol. It's using cat5e cable and RJ45 connectors, which is the same physical type of cable as Ethernet uses, but it's completely and totally different.  It's AES50 protocol.  This is a point to point protocol only and is ideal over standard ethernet type interfaces due to the extremely low latency of the connection.

However, due to the way that it sends clocking signal and data signal separately, it's somewhat susceptible to outside electrical interference.  Their only choice to solve the 'problem' would be to use a completely different protocol that didn't have this issue.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.