ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Static Cat5e STP????  (Read 11845 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Static Cat5e STP????
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »

The static spark is a mini lightning bolt and a source or broad band RF.
Can you say antenna?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »

What I don't get is why this is a problem only on the X-32 and its relatives. No other mixing system, so far as I know, suffers from this. I routinely hook up my A&H with 110 ft of unshielded CAT5 with floating connector shells and never have had a problem. In two venues (so far) I plug the control surface into a nearby receptacle (presumably on a different branch circuit, likely a different panel) in the back of the room to avoid having to run power to FOH. Never a problem. Why don't they just fix this? All they need to do is copy the design of the Ethernet interface used in any other network device on earth. And they have a reputation for being good at copying  ;D   (I know, they sell plenty of product as is, but really?)

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »

My Midas Pro and DL 153 setup is completely useless in a certain carpeted ballroom I work. Loud bangs, and complete audio drops happen on a regular basis.

I have never had any issues like these when using my AH consoles in this particular room.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 04:04:31 AM »

My Midas Pro and DL 153 setup is completely useless in a certain carpeted ballroom I work. Loud bangs, and complete audio drops happen on a regular basis.

I have never had any issues like these when using my AH consoles in this particular room.

I will take the A&H with its USB recording issues over the Music Group consoles with their Cat5 digital snake issues.  The A&H USB issues don't stop a show.  The Music Group Cat5 digital snake issue will ruin a show and lose clients.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »

The Music Group Cat5 digital snake issue will ruin a show and lose clients.

Not if you find out what fixes the problem and proceed accordingly.

They are the mixers for the attentive and knowledgeable user.

:D

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 07:28:28 PM »

Not if you find out what fixes the problem and proceed accordingly.

They are the mixers for the attentive and knowledgeable user.

:D

Only after the problem makes itself known to the "attentive and knowledgeable user", as well as everyone else in attendance at the event.  By then the event audio is already compromised and the problem can't be fixed while the event is going on - unless the "attentive and knowledgeable user" ran a second Cat5e that happens to be in compliance with the specs, but then the event audio must stop anyway while P.A. is turned off and the new snake is patched. 

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »

I have used every kind of cat 5 cable available, shielded, unsheilded, Midas recommended Belden, the list goes on. The only fix I know of is to use a copper feed.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »

The only fix I know of is to use a copper feed.

What does this mean?

Mac

James Paul

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:15 AM »

OK, some more details and info for everyone to see if we can figure this one out for real.

First of all, I have not had a chance to test continuity shell to shell, but will as soon as I'm able.  This will probably be the most important detail to know of course.

Was continuity tested on RJ45 shield to RJ45 shield and to what result ?

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:24 AM »

Only after the problem makes itself known to the "attentive and knowledgeable user", as well as everyone else in attendance at the event.  By then the event audio is already compromised and the problem can't be fixed while the event is going on - unless the "attentive and knowledgeable user" ran a second Cat5e that happens to be in compliance with the specs, but then the event audio must stop anyway while P.A. is turned off and the new snake is patched.

At this point, as opposed to five years ago, the problems are largely if not completely known and fixable.

If you have the same problem over and over and have done nothing to resolve it before the next time, or if you get a piece of complex gear and don't bother to find out what issues it has and how to avoid them, then I would argue that you are neither attentive nor knowledgeable.

"You" meaning "any user" and not you specifically.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:24 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.