ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX800-P series new firmware released - Now with more input gain!  (Read 3827 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

I just got a notification that JBL has released new firmware for the SRX800-P series.  The features are a new "enhanced bass" mode, and also a sensitivity adjustment so there is an option for a more normal amount of gain to drive them to full output, rather than the "pro input level" they previously required (26dB gain instead of the more common 32dB gain).  It only took four years to fix the sensitivity issue. 

I wonder how many sales they lost because they sounded 6dB quieter than all of their competitors in GC side-by-side comparisons.

Scott Gaines

Re: JBL SRX800-P series new firmware released - Now with more input gain!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »

Ooh, nice! Hope there's an easy step-by-step guide to installing the new firmware.

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:06:28 PM »

I wonder how many sales they lost because they sounded 6dB quieter than all of their competitors in GC side-by-side comparisons.

I was so freaked out by it my initial thought was to return or sell the subs. I've since learned how to deal with it and love the speakers!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »

I just got a notification that JBL has released new firmware for the SRX800-P series.  The features are a new "enhanced bass" mode, and also a sensitivity adjustment so there is an option for a more normal amount of gain to drive them to full output, rather than the "pro input level" they previously required (26dB gain instead of the more common 32dB gain).  It only took four years to fix the sensitivity issue. 

Are you sure about SRX?  The email I received only pimped the PRX800-P series.  No notice on the SRX pages at jblpro.com, but the PRX page notes the new V2 firmware/remote app.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:10:23 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »

Are you sure about SRX?  The email I received only pimped the PRX800-P series.  No notice on the SRX pages at jblpro.com, but the PRX page notes the new V2 firmware/remote app.
Drat - you are right!  Wishful thinking on my part, apparently.  Sorry folks - please move along.  Nothing to see here.

jesseweiss

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:46:32 PM »

Just clarify for those less knowledgeable like myself, this means the PRX series are now louder?

My understanding is that increased input sensitivity means the speakers will clip and distort at higher levels. Is that correct?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »

Just clarify for those less knowledgeable like myself, this means the PRX series are now louder?

My understanding is that increased input sensitivity means the speakers will clip and distort at higher levels. Is that correct?

Not "louder" as in more total SPL, however, in a nutshell, you do have greater ability to boost low-level input signals to achieve usable output levels from weak signals.

jesseweiss

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »

Not "louder" as in more total SPL, however, in a nutshell, you do have greater ability to boost low-level input signals to achieve usable output levels from weak signals.
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Don't really have "weak signals" coming from my band, but good to know as I'm thinking of upgrading to a LRX system.

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 02:07:26 AM »

Drat - you are right!  Wishful thinking on my part, apparently.  Sorry folks - please move along.  Nothing to see here.

Bummer- new firmware is (almost) always fun!

Although I've never had an issue driving SRX800P well into limit with any pro audio mixer, DJ mixer or DJ controller via the 26dB gain, I get how that might put them at a disadvantage in the showroom, and also confuse some folk into thinking they aren't as loud as the competition in their price range.

About the only thing I would like to see is an option to clamp down on the RMS limiter in the 818sp/828sp. There's a current hip-hop track with a continuous bass note that gets the drivers pretty toasty.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:04:44 PM by Michael Storey »

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

There was a Firmware update (unsure when it was released)... But with the gigs starting back-up I've been busy updating firmware.

I had 1 sub that was 1.0.0.5 and the rest was 1.0.1.5... Everything is updated to 1.0.2.1. 

As far as what was corrected/adjusted... I don't know, there is no notes available.

Also, FYI... HiQnet Audio Architect is now on v2.45.1.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.