ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha sub pairing  (Read 1488 times)

Matthew Knerr

Yamaha sub pairing
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »

My bandmate has a set of Yamaha SW118V subs and I picked up a set of the SW118IV, but with 800W eminence Omega Pro drivers. We are considering using these all together. These cabinets have different dimensions and obviously different drivers. Was wondering what issues I can expect trying to use them all at once. Will i pretty much need to keep them paired with the like cabinet on each side? Would love to have the option to couple them all in the center, but not sure how that will work out, and if they will couple properly, or just cause more issues than it's worth. I do have a PA2, for what it's worth, as well as a pair of Crown XLS2500 amps.

Thanks for the input, in advance.

Matthew

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »

My bandmate has a set

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Yamaha sub pairing
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 07:15:24 AM »

There's some different thoughts/opinions on using non-like subs.  If you're going to use them in a bar type of setup or any mid-sized (for the speaker) interior room, you should be ok.  Probably the biggest noticeable difference between the subs would be during outdoor shows.  Without splitting hairs, the differences between the cabinet designs would probably not yield a large observable difference... I'm sure the cabinets would sound different, but it should be minimal.

However, if you are putting larger capacity drivers into cabinets not designed for the additional power, it's very possible (depending on how much power you feed them), that you could cause physical damage to the cabinet (i.e. blowing the cabinets apart over time).  As well, a cabinet design not catered to the driver being installed in it could cause "audio quality" issues with the driver.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Yamaha sub pairing
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 07:15:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.