ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Good mic gain technique or not?  (Read 5904 times)

James Rowe

Re: Good mic gain technique or not?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 06:56:39 AM »

On a digital console?

That guy is a cretin.

Cheers,
Tim

Unfortunately 95% of sound-guys are cretins... Harsh reality learned from a lifetime of gigging (and sound-guying!).

Roland Clarke

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 07:02:42 AM »

Transformer saturation, is often not as great as people like to think it is, transformerless is completely different.  Bearing in mind almost all pre’s these days are the transformerless design, just saying...

Martin Morris

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

A masterclass schooling by Robert Scovill ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBHcfyI5e8

So he cranks it up,to compress it down...... wait.......what?
To each his own I guess, that sounds like you be smacking😘 the preamp so hard you would have a near or at distortion issue
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Justin Waters

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »

Exactly. I believe he is trying to apply his studio techniques to live sound.

With the mic gains so hot, he runs the channel faders lower and the master below unity.

Whats the drawback to running the master below unity? 

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »

Whats the drawback to running the master below unity?

On a couple of consoles, your master meter is post master fader.
Depending on your gain structure, there is a potential for overloading the L/R bus before it shows up on your master meter.
I always run off a matrix to avoid it on any console. Leave the master fader at unity and adjust overall levels with matrix master(s).

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »

A masterclass schooling by Robert Scovill ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBHcfyI5e8

I'm getting confused. I've read here on the board that even if you hit the pre low, it will still sound good on a digital desk. Since it's digital. But here this guy is saying that if you don't use all the bits, it will sound bad.. I started my career in the analog domain and didn't think much of the digital domain, and still need to understand some basics other than "don't clip a digital circuit, it sounds worse".

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »

I'm getting confused. I've read here on the board that even if you hit the pre low, it will still sound good on a digital desk. Since it's digital. But here this guy is saying that if you don't use all the bits, it will sound bad.. I started my career in the analog domain and didn't think much of the digital domain, and still need to understand some basics other than "don't clip a digital circuit, it sounds worse."

"Fill all the bits" is a misunderstanding that comes from early digital users.

Dither completely resolves the 'fill all the bits' concept. Because of dither, all bits in digital are equal—there are no better bits or bits that need filling for good sound. Don't fill all the bits, you're supposed to have headroom!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »

From a noise viewpoint, low pres are fine, but as the video explained, the resolution increases with higher input gain up until clipping, where it will always sound horrible.
Without the A/D converters (analog), the resolution doesn't change, avoiding the noise floor is encouraged, and clipping the pre may not sound so bad.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »

"Fill all the bits" is a misunderstanding that comes from early digital users.

Dither completely resolves the 'fill all the bits' concept. Because of dither, all bits in digital are equal—there are no better bits or bits that need filling for good sound. Don't fill all the bits, you're supposed to have headroom!

That's my impression. So basically what this guy in the vid is saying is "wrong"? Not directly wrong, but the importance of it is close to non existent?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 05:10:06 PM »

That's my impression. So basically what this guy in the vid is saying is "wrong"? Not directly wrong, but the importance of it is close to non existent?

"This guy" in the vid was Tom Petty's FOH, has mixed Rush and Matchbox20, among many.

The take away I got from the presentation was "set preamp gains for best control resolution."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 05:10:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.