ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Interface with Mic/RCA inputs and outputs  (Read 4010 times)

halhawkins

USB Interface with Mic/RCA inputs and outputs
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:11:16 AM »

First time poster.

I need to record 7 different tracks individually, with 4 being RCA stereo and 3 being XLR mics

I need to send the 7 sources combined to the headphone monitor, but I also need to send the 7 different sources individually to the PA system.

I'm new to the recording side of things, so I'm trying to find the simplest ways to accomplish this.

I had looked at getting 5x Behringer UCA222s because they have RCA in/outs, and then running the outs to a zone mixer and then to a headphone amp and the PA, but having 5 of those UCA222s seems kind of messy.

I was also looking at the Tascam US-16x08 or Behringer UMC1820 as USB interfaces, but neither of those seem quite right.

Thoughts?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: USB Interface with Mic/RCA inputs and outputs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »

RCA connectors are a sort of original sin of audio.  They should all be towed out to sea and sunk.  Buy the interface that meets your level ( mic / line ) and routing needs and use adaptors to handle the odd RCA or mini plug.

halhawkins

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »

RCA connectors are a sort of original sin of audio.  They should all be towed out to sea and sunk.  Buy the interface that meets your level ( mic / line ) and routing needs and use adaptors to handle the odd RCA or mini plug.

The routing seems to be the biggest issue. Either I need a device to properly route things prior to the interface, or find an interface that can do the routing. The interfaces don't seem capable of routing the outputs properly. I could be wrong though.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »

Soundcraft Ui24R.

Slightly overkill for your input count, but will do all of your I/O routing.

It will record pre-fade/pre-eq to either your DAW via USB, or to a USB stick, or both simultaneously.

There are other devices that will do a similar job too.

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »

In my rig I would also use the ui-24 and it is still overkill but it would sure work.

If it were me without a ui-24 I’d be ignoring the rca as frankly that is going to push you down scale and maybe into a level of performance that doesn’t cut it... 

A line level mixer with combi jack inputs and rca to 1/4” adapters.  Or a bunch of Radial AV2 di’s that will accept RCA (or dual 1/4 or 1/8th TRS) and output XLR

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

halhawkins

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »

In my rig I would also use the ui-24 and it is still overkill but it would sure work.

If it were me without a ui-24 I’d be ignoring the rca as frankly that is going to push you down scale and maybe into a level of performance that doesn’t cut it... 

A line level mixer with combi jack inputs and rca to 1/4” adapters.  Or a bunch of Radial AV2 di’s that will accept RCA (or dual 1/4 or 1/8th TRS) and output XLR

The reason I have to use RCA is because I produce/record/stream esports events. Currently, its been rather easy because we've only had to handle one console. Now we are upgrading to switch between multiple consoles (up to 4) and also show them simultaneously. The consoles are mainly retro, so RCA is the only option that these consoles send out audio.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »

The reason I have to use RCA is because I produce/record/stream esports events. Currently, its been rather easy because we've only had to handle one console. Now we are upgrading to switch between multiple consoles (up to 4) and also show them simultaneously. The consoles are mainly retro, so RCA is the only option that these consoles send out audio.

Use an adapter cable (RCA to 1/4" mono) and a passive DI box to get everything down to XLR.  You can "loop" out of the DI box (it has 1/4" output) to go to another device, too.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 01:32:34 PM »

Your OP stated 4 stereo RCA feeds.  That's 8 channels, plus 3 XLR mics.
The Ui24 has 10 combo jacks and 10 regular XLR, so if you use RCA to 1/4" adapters (cheap), you won't need any DIs(expensive).
It has 8 aux outs, main L&R, plus two headphone outs.
It records directly to a thumb drive as stereo or multi-track.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »

This is why mini digital mixers like the Soundcraft mentioned below or the Behringer XR18 are really the sleeper swiss army knives of the audio business.  Excellent routing capabilities, multiple analog i/o, software programmable and repeatable settings and a complete USB audio interface all in a single relatively cheap box. 

Can't believe I just called a Behringer product excellent but there you go.

The routing seems to be the biggest issue. ...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »

or the Behringer XR18

+1.. currently on sale at various places for $499.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.