ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD ripping errors  (Read 3041 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
CD ripping errors
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »

While attempting to rip some CD's to .WAV for sound check, I keep encountering errors in copying the files from the CD media. I've tried iTunes ripping and copying directly in the finder on MacOS.

Strangely the CD will play just fine from the external drive on my computer.

What am I missing here?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
Re: CD ripping errors
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »

May be off base here but are your drivers up to date?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 07:52:46 PM »

Did you do a 1:1 rip or did you go with the 16:1 rip? I have had issues with quick rips lately. I would not recommend anything faster than a 2:1 if you have the time. I think in order to get costs down and knowing that CD's are a dying format, they are using lower quality parts and it is causing light burns in the CD. You really have to cook that data into the CD's it seems and the only way is to do longer 1:1 write times.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »

While attempting to rip some CD's to .WAV for sound check, I keep encountering errors in copying the files from the CD media. I've tried iTunes ripping and copying directly in the finder on MacOS.

What am I missing here?

How old is the CD in question?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »

What am I missing here?

Apple doesn't want you ripping your own CDs.  I'm surprised they'll even play them since they didn't come from the iFruit Store.

You may need to find a 3rd party ripping tool.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 09:04:45 PM »

The Very Best of Steely Dan ©2009 just bought it a month or so ago and unwrapped it today to copy the .wav files

AKAIK it's post the whole 2005 root kit scandal and I've never had this issue with any of the 1000 or so other discs I've ripped.

How old is the CD in question?

Apple doesn't want you ripping your own CDs.  I'm surprised they'll even play them since they didn't come from the iFruit Store.

You may need to find a 3rd party ripping tool.

I tried Hand Brake and just copying the files off in Finder and neither will get the job done. Open to suggestions on which app to use here. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »

The Very Best of Steely Dan ©2009 just bought it a month or so ago and unwrapped it today to copy the .wav files

AKAIK it's post the whole 2005 root kit scandal and I've never had this issue with any of the 1000 or so other discs I've ripped.

I tried Hand Brake and just copying the files off in Finder and neither will get the job done. Open to suggestions on which app to use here. . .

Spend $99-$199 on a refurb Lenovo ThinkPad with Windows, install Hand Brake or Free Rip?

I'm guessing that the most recent MacOS update tightened the DRM screws.

I don't have to use a Mac anymore.  Free at last!  Free at last!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »

Mac is the problem, get a real computer ( PC ) :) and your problems will cease

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 01:21:28 AM »

I’m running 10.13.6 and I rip CDs to apple lossless using iTunes with zero problems. 

Trying a different computer or even a different optical drive on the same computer would be worthwhile and possibly a useful datapoint.  I have experienced apple SuperDrives dying in gradual and difficult to diagnose ways.  I’ve now got a collection of USB optical drives I can test problematic discs on.  Usually if it doesn’t work in any drive it’s a bad disc.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 02:36:06 AM »

I just use a PC and windows media player, has a possibly unknown feature that if you have more than one CD drive it can rip multiple CD's at a time, I've tried it with 3 drives (two internal and one external) and it worked just fine.

Will encode in, mp3, WMA ( standard, pro, VBR and lossless) WAV, ALAC and FLAC so all the most common standards are there.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »

What am I missing here?
make sure the error correction is checked in the import settings
-could just be a slight deviation from perfect in either the cd pressing or the external drive.

If simply won't work, and I have encountered it often -usually in those few minutes before a show dealing with performer tracks for Q-lab
- then I use the Audio Hijack Pro (Rogue Amoeba software) application to play it in and record it real-time.  It can be a true digital copy with no conversion or they do have plug-ins for any processing you may want to add in real-time.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »

I use EZ CD Converter on my PC.
Ripped over 10,000 songs full res to a Bluesound Vault.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »

I don't have to use a Mac anymore.  Free at last!  Free at last!

I'm in the same boat. Once my iMac dies, I'm getting a Windows machine.

Been a loyal Apple user since '84. They've been slowly pissing me off since they got into phones and pads. And I still have nightmares about the OS9 to 10 switch.

Finding it hard to wrap my head around this one. Can't rip a CD? Do they hire people just to think of ways to piss off older users?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:14 PM »

Finding it hard to wrap my head around this one. Can't rip a CD? Do they hire people just to think of ways to piss off older users?

Nope, just find new ways to monetize standard computer user behavior.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »

Nope, just find new ways to monetize standard computer user behavior.

Starting to look like Apple has become their own 1984 commercial. After all, Siri does send everything you say back to Apple where it's stored and probably analyzed.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »

Open to suggestions on which app to use here. . .

Have you tried VLC Media Player yet?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »

Have you tried one track at a time to find which one actually bogs down the import? or do they all cause the error...also try another cd just to check..

XLD and /or MAX will rip difficult CDs.....

Ray

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41:56 PM »

Mac is the problem, get a real computer ( PC ) :) and your problems will cease

Actually you just get different problems.

I got the Clapton Christmas CD for Christmas and my Windows 7 machine won’t rip it (it did hundreds of others).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Luke Geis

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 03:35:08 AM »

Interesting story!!! I would will a small bet there is encryption built into the modern commercial CD's to keep people from ripping them. About 15 years ago, a friend and I created a way to copywrite music that if we had gone a little further with it, would have pretty much damned anyone who had copied music from the said copywritten media. Sony introduced a similar idea a couple of years later with their DVD's so that you couldn't pull the audio from a compromised disk. There was also an audio streaming service ( I can't remember the name, sorry ) who had a similar algorithm that required your computer or device to present a particular " audio pattern " in order to stream the media.

I own a movie that I purchased through I-Tunes and I cannot copy or move it away from it. I am sort of upset that I MUST not only be signed into my account on any given device to view MY media, but I cannot even physically move it away from I-Tunes to save on my own server or devise. If I want to watch it I must have both the software and the account.....

The software my friend and I developed was more set up to make thieves easily convicted. It had a code written within the media, that when missing, or present in a different format ( the original format was embedded in the code ) was an obvious sign of tampering. I.E. The media must have the hidden code to be legit and if it was missing, and or present within a different format, that was what made it evident it was stolen. We never took it to market and I think it would be old news today. At the time CD's were still #1 and pirating was a big deal. Now I feel that digital media is #1 and trying to protect it and enforce the law is beyond my ability. The software my friend and I built was only meant to recognize compromised media, not stop it from being pirated. New technologies have basically taken over that role and are built into the machines we use.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.