ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wall wash and wall color  (Read 3377 times)

Earl Teigrob

Wall wash and wall color
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:58:57 PM »

I put on a monthly dance at our local dance studio and purchased some pars to provide both static color and sound reactive color using the Raven DMX. The studio has mirrors all around so I was going to get some curtains to cover the mirrors where my pars are located. Basically, the pars will produce the full spectrum light. What color curtains would be best to project the pars onto? I don't want to too much light reflecting onto the dance floor and into peoples eyes so I discounted pure white. I've been debating between a grey or beige. I suppose the beige will produce a warmer tone and an overall warmer affect. I might have to try them both but I was just wandering if there are any rule pertaining to wall color and wall wash.

Thank you for your help

Lyle Williams

Re: Wall wash and wall color
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 02:12:27 AM »

The darker the surface, the more of the light power you are wasting.

Remember that you are the only person on this forum who has seem the room.  This is an aesthetic decision.

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »

The darker the surface, the more of the light power you are wasting.

Remember that you are the only person on this forum who has seem the room.  This is an aesthetic decision.

Good Point. Ill try and not make it too dark. Maybe an Ivory with a mat surface would be best for me. The lights are facing straight up so a lot of light is going to be hitting the ceiling and reflect a lot of light so if the wall is too dark and I need to turn it up a lot, the ceiling will reflect more light.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »

You want white drapes any other color will absorb output from your fixtures and mess up the color palate, and unless you spent really big dollars on those pars your problem will be getting enough light output.

Earl Teigrob

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »

You want white drapes any other color will absorb output from your fixtures and mess up the color palate, and unless you spent really big dollars on those pars your problem will be getting enough light output.

Paul,

Thank you for your input... I'm going in that direction but don't want stark white curtains because its going to look like carp with the house lights on. My fixtures have plenty of power (18x18w) each (That is 3w per color theoretical but is really 1.5w - 2w in reality...nobody outputs the max rating of the LED's) which is still lots of light. But I want people to see the beautiful colors on the wall and not just the ceiling. Ivory or light beige is probably best for me. Keeping the curtain colors in the grey scale will keep the light colors the truest I suppose.

Earl

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »

Can you get any sample pieces (swatches or whatever they are called) of the fabric prior to ordering?  Then you could test first.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »

We have a light blue "cyc" at the theater that is good with a color wash or without.  Maybe something like that?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:28 PM »

I put on a monthly dance at our local dance studio and purchased some pars to provide both static color and sound reactive color using the Raven DMX. The studio has mirrors all around so I was going to get some curtains to cover the mirrors where my pars are located. Basically, the pars will produce the full spectrum light. What color curtains would be best to project the pars onto? I don't want to too much light reflecting onto the dance floor and into peoples eyes so I discounted pure white. I've been debating between a grey or beige. I suppose the beige will produce a warmer tone and an overall warmer affect. I might have to try them both but I was just wandering if there are any rule pertaining to wall color and wall wash.

Thank you for your help

Be sure to get Inherently Flame Retardant or Treated drape (with a certificate) or your local fire marshal could force you to take it down.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »

Battle ship grey will show colors properly while taking down the brightness.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »

I vote for grey.  Maybe darker than you think.
There are many situations where you want a black background.
There's nothing quite like a solo spot on the performer with a fully dark background.
If you are lighting curtains, look into non-vertical beams.
I much prefer an angled light beam, which hits all the high folds of the curtain, giving a nice 3D effect.
My general opinion is to light the show, not the back wall.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.