ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AT35Pro/AT350/AT831 with Sennheiser EW-500-G3 Bodypack  (Read 1501 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
AT35Pro/AT350/AT831 with Sennheiser EW-500-G3 Bodypack
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:41:09 PM »

Hi folks,
I'm looking to mic a couple fiddles using a couple AT-35Pro or AT831 miniature cardioid condenser mics.  I know they both use the same Sennheiser power module.

I know they can both be used with an AT wireless transmitter without the power module.

I have a Sennheiser MKE miniature omnidirectional condenser mic that can be plugged directly into a Sennheiser EW-500-g3 bodypack.

Granted, the AT wireless bodypack connectors are not plug-compatable with the Sennheiser bodypacks.

Both bodypacks must supply enough power to the condenser mics to make them work.

So, the question (finally...)
Can I change the connector on an AT miniature condenser mic to a Sennheiser plug and have the mic work properly (not blow up?)

Are the output voltages of the AT bodypack the same as the Sennheiser bodypacks?

thanks
frank

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:44:18 PM by frank kayser »

frank kayser

Re: AT35Pro/AT350/AT831 with Sennheiser EW-500-G3 Bodypack
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »

Hi folks,
I'm looking to mic a couple fiddles using a couple AT-35Pro or AT831 miniature cardioid condenser mics.  I know they both use the same Sennheiser power module.
<snip>

Can I change the connector on an AT miniature condenser mic to a Sennheiser plug and have the mic work properly (not blow up?)

Are the output voltages of the AT bodypack the same as the Sennheiser bodypacks?

thanks
frank

For those who MAY be curious...
After experimenting, I can say the AT-35-Pro *does kinda work* when attached to a Sennheiser EW-500-G3 bodypack (without the in-line power module), however the gain was so low as to be effectively useless.

Back to the drawing board...

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »

If this were a bluegrass act, I would go with a placed LDC as the players generally know how and when to position themselves when...   if it’s a Kansas Tribute with 2 violins yer on yer own ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »

Hi Frank,

I suggest you wrap the omni in a bit of open-cell foam and tuck it under the tailpiece, or move closer to the bridge.
You will likely want to roll off lows and highs.
More than half the Fiddlers I see these days are using an omni like the Bartlett Fiddle Mic.

A cardioid 35 or 350 will get a little more low end grunt, but usually at the expense of quality.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Hi folks,

I know they can both be used with an AT wireless transmitter without the power module.

I have a Sennheiser MKE miniature omnidirectional condenser mic that can be plugged directly into a Sennheiser EW-500-g3 bodypack.

Granted, the AT wireless bodypack connectors are not plug-compatable with the Sennheiser bodypacks.

Both bodypacks must supply enough power to the condenser mics to make them work.

So, the question (finally...)

thanks
frank

frank kayser

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »

If this were a bluegrass act, I would go with a placed LDC as the players generally know how and when to position themselves when...   if it’s a Kansas Tribute with 2 violins yer on yer own ;-)
Hi Mal,
In general, many folks prefer some type of condenser mounted for the fiddle. LDC makes sense.  In this situation, I'm dealing with an expressive, active player who had been using an overhead, but now is spoiled by the freedom of close micing.  Seems the two Celtic bands I work with, (seven fiddlers among the two bands) they prefer the close mic more so than the overhead.  The 'grassers that know the dance with a single mic setup or an OH, I would take your recommendation and use the LDC.  Knowing the dance - that's the trick.

[/size]
Hi Frank,

I suggest you wrap the omni in a bit of open-cell foam and tuck it under the tailpiece, or move closer to the bridge.
You will likely want to roll off lows and highs.
More than half the Fiddlers I see these days are using an omni like the Bartlett Fiddle Mic.

A cardioid 35 or 350 will get a little more low end grunt, but usually at the expense of quality.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Hi Wego,
I'll look into the Bartlett. One of the guys in the band has one of the DPA mics, but can't quite put his hands on it at the present. The AT35 provided a good solution, with a very woody sound that went well with the style of the band.  Had we wanted a more lively sound, I'm not sure I would have been able to contort the EQ curve enough to get that result.
thanks both,
frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.