ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining stage + dance floor  (Read 2360 times)

Maximilian Oepen

Combining stage + dance floor
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »

Looking for opinions on  purchases for a new upscale club, approx. 1500 sq. feet.
It will combine a stage for live music (more traditional than contemporary) on one end (25' x 11' stage), and a dance floor on the other end (approx 15' x 20').
Looking for relatively static lighting on the live stage and dynamic/ exciting lighting on the dance floor at the other side.
There is a good budget.

MOVING HEADS - the most versatile fixtures that aren't huge? The ceiling is relatively low (trusses at ~9'), so fixtures can't get too large.
CONTROLLER - I'm partial to a software approach, what programs do people prefer in this scenario? Is Windows 10 + touchscreen getting pretty common? Another concern is for it to be relatively dummy-safe, so a manager or sound guy can turn it on when there's no LD at hand.

(here's the club's blueprint for an idea of the place's layout)
Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:23:25 PM by Maximilian Oepen »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:45:16 PM »

Looking for advice

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Maximilian Oepen

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field ..
apologies, thought I had fixed it before the post, but is now corrected.
thanks.

duane massey

Re: Combining stage + dance floor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:07 AM »

Since you haven't specified a budget, pretty difficult to make meaningful suggestions. I've had reasonable success with some of the no-name imports, and will continue to use them when cost is an issue, but output is not. If you need fixtures that will last for a long time, stick with ADJ/Elation or similar. I rarely use software control, so I have no opinion on that.
Given your criteria I would take care to balance the light output of the various fixtures you install, and avoid the idea that having a bunch of different types of fixtures is better than a larger quantity of 3-4 types instead.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »

Hmm, Windows 10 and Dummy-proof. What could possibly go wrong.

In my opinion, you want a hardware controller so you don’t have to deal with windows updates rebooting at the most inconvenient time. It is harder and harder these days to get Windows to do what YOU want rather than what it wants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »

For the dance floor with low ceiling here is what I would do:

A nice compact moving head is the ADJ focus spot two.
A nice compact moving wash are these type of units: wash or these wash

4 heads and 4 -6 washes would do

Then I'd get 2 - ADJ warlock for a derby type room filling effect
finally a centerpiece, either a mirror ball or a ADJ starburst.

If the trusses are aluminum I would look into lighting them up as well (truss warming) with some led washes.

If you want the beams to pop, then I would look into a Radiance Hazer by Ultratech. Dilute the fluid if the haze is too heavy. An expensive hazer but is quickly field serviceable, will last and they use glycerin based fluid which is much less irritating to the eyes/throat then glycol based units.

For software, lately I've been using myDMX3.0. I really like the color matrixing effects and the smooth color fades that effect creates around the room. For inexperienced operators / win10 updates - you could program a few scenes in standalone mode and access them via the dongle without any computer. That is a pay extra feature however. Even for inexperienced operators, engaging a scene in software is easy, it is the programming that takes experience.

Maximilian Oepen

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:30:00 PM »

Thank you!
Since you haven't specified a budget, ...

Thanks Duane, budget is currently around $20K

Hmm, Windows 10 and Dummy-proof. What could possibly go wrong....

"Dummy-proof" was an overly optimistic term, I mean something that a reasonably intelligent person can learn to turn on.
And yeah it's a shame how hard it has become to disable automatic updates on Windows.

For the dance floor with low ceiling here is what I would do:...

Thank you, Len! That's very helpful.

...Even for inexperienced operators, engaging a scene in software is easy, it is the programming that takes experience.

Yes, programming will all be done ahead of time or outside any events/business hours.

Regarding CONTROL: how common/popular is the use of something like an APC40 in this scenario these days? I still see them a lot, and I am very well versed with MIDI mapping and Bome MTP.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:48:18 PM by Maximilian Oepen »

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:19:22 AM »

IF you want a hardware controller, I'd suggest the Elation Showdesigner 1. Programming is a challenge until you get up to speed, but is pretty easy once you understand it. Playback is VERY VERY simple without being restrictive or limiting. The Showdesigner 2 is also a good choice, and gives you more channels plus more playback buttons.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:19:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.