ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hodge podge PA advice  (Read 320 times)

Casey Jones

hodge podge PA advice
« on: March 05, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »

hello - i'm into a sort of unique situation, i think, and i am looking for some advice on how to run sound for my band for an outdoor house show this summer. i have a little experience with equipment and we have a variety of amps, speakers and mixers. i'm trying to figure out how best to operate on what i have now, and am open to recommendations on anything that might be a vital improvement, but i think i have most things covered.

we are running our own sound - through me, primarily - through the PA i am running drums (4 mics), guitar direct, guitar mic, piano L/R direct, bass direct, and vocals (3).

to begin with, i have:

mackie 1202
kustom profile system 2
fender passport

i am planning on running the line level out of the kustom into the mackie ch 11/12 in order to get enough inputs.

the mackie goes into a 31-band EQ, then to an active crossover where the signal is split around 400hz, then to three power amps.

where it gets interesting is the variety of speakers i am using:

1 homemade 18, 12, bullet horn in a single cab
1 18 + yamaha BR12-something-or-other

2 kustom profile system 2 2x10 **(these i may run *only* vocals + acoustic on in FOH, from kustom powered mixer^, to give more definition in mix, but undecided)

- this i plan to be FOH, bi-amp and split around 400hz. i can run three or four way, but prefer not to.

in addition, i have three peavey PR15's, a peavey black widow in a cab by itself, two fender passport "Event" speakers (4x4") and two fender passport "conference" (2x6" i think) speakers.

the 15's can be extra oomph to FOH, or all of those can be monitors (the fender speakers make excellent monitors). i have plenty of power and outputs to run just about all of this. i may need one more power amp.

-- we are planning on setting up on a hay wagon, FOH on the ground and monitors on stage. room is going to be at a premium, but maybe we can get a second wagon. we have guitar, bass, piano/guitar and drums, as it stands right now, and may have another member.

i have never done anything of this scale, i'm wondering what obvious red flags may stick out to some professionals upon hearing my plan. i am currently running this very setup, minus the 18's and two PR15's indoors, mixed and EQ'd, and it sounds pretty great.

thank you -

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber