ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: amplifier suggestions  (Read 4711 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
amplifier suggestions
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:00:02 AM »

Looking for suggestions that I have not thought of for 4 channel DSP amps, with preset store and recall capability, in the 2500-3000 w/ch at 2 ohm range.
So far, I have looked at LabGruppen, XTA, Linea and Danley.
The Labs are quite $$$ !!!!

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:30:43 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Slater

Re: amplifier suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:03:58 AM »

How about the I-Tech 4x3500HD from Crown.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »

Not sure exactly if the power specs without looking them all up, but also look at:
Powersoft X4
Dynacord TGX
Crown iTechHD 4x3500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 08:11:26 AM »

That combo of specs puts you pretty solidly in the "pay to play" category of equipment, unfortunately. If you're willing to forego the 4-channel requirement there are a ton of 2-channel amps that would give you that performance for a fraction of the cost.

That said, the only other options I don't see in your list is Powersoft, Dynacord or Crown i-tech.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »

A pair of Powersoft T602s would do what you're after, and you get a bit of redundancy from having two seperate amps.
They're 1250/2500/3000w into 8/4/2ohm. If you drive them asymmetrically, you can get more - the limitation is at the power supply.

An X4 would also do what you're after, with power to spare - they're rated at a little over 5KW per channel, but will need a pretty serious mains supply to do so - they're set up to accept 240v 3-phase.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »

It's really a shame that there isn't some kind of amp database somewhere online. It's rough trying to find equipment that falls into whatever parameters you need and I've found myself bouncing between over half a dozen vendors because no one has filters granular enough or only carries a couple brands.

Something like what Projector Central does would be stellar.
1) Do it right

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:25:48 AM »

Completely forgot about Crown!
I know it's a "pay to play" situation but the existing rack configuration only allows for 4U of amp space and not really deep so a 4 channel fits the bill.
That said, I might be able to make a case for Powersoft.
Looking at the X4 Powersoft, I don't see preset recall.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:31:23 AM by Keith Broughton »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »

I know it's a "pay to play" situation but the existing rack configuration only allows for 4U of amp space and not really deep so a 4 channel fits the bill.

You can recall preset 1-4 on the front using a combination of buttons.
Or connect an android phone by USB and access the amps internal web server.

OR

Use the amps built-in wifi with any device with a web browser or a computer with Armonia.

Sneaky little hobbitses those X-amps.

Tom Harrison

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 10:39:26 PM »

Looking for suggestions that I have not thought of for 4 channel DSP amps, with preset store and recall capability, in the 2500-3000 w/ch at 2 ohm range.
So far, I have looked at LabGruppen, XTA, Linea and Danley.
The Labs are quite $$$ !!!!

Thoughts?

You forgot Full Fat Audio. They have the 8004 with DSP that just came out. Should be shipping now. Out of those options, XTA and FFA should be near the top of the food chain. Labs are expensive due to some lake processing.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »

You forgot Full Fat Audio. They have the 8004 with DSP that just came out.
Didn't forget...never heard of them!!
I checked but the 8000-4 DSP is not on their site at this time but looking at the 6004, the 8004 would probably be right on target.
One problem might be is brand recognition to rental clients.
Will try to connect with a distributor.
thanks for the tip :)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »

FFA is well-known and respected over here, although that doesn't mean much if you can't get them serviced.

FWIW, reset recall on the Powersoft T-series is pretty good. You can also load from a pendrive.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Pat Cognitore

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »

If you've got a shallow rack be sure to take a close look at the dimensions of the Powersoft amps, they tend to run extra deep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:11:52 AM »

If you've got a shallow rack be sure to take a close look at the dimensions of the Powersoft amps, they tend to run extra deep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The racks are currently loaded with the old Powersoft Digam amps and, yes, they are very deep and were a bit of a PITA to wire.  I want to avoid that this time.

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »

It's really a shame that there isn't some kind of amp database somewhere online. It's rough trying to find equipment that falls into whatever parameters you need and I've found myself bouncing between over half a dozen vendors because no one has filters granular enough or only carries a couple brands.

Something like what Projector Central does would be stellar.

I know why there is no database. Way back when in my days employed at EAW I created such a beast.  2003-2004 was initial creation, 2009 was last update.  It had almost 400 amplifier models from a dozen or so manufacturers.  Power at different impedances, voltage gain and/or input sensitivity, bridged or paralled specs, etc. were included. 

Every revision of my database became obsolete almost immediately after creation as companies introduced or obsoleted products, or (sadly) as companies obsoleted themselves.  Specs were often difficult to interpret, as spec definitions were unclear.  Input sensitivity for instance was sometimes nebulously specified at 8 or 4 ohms.

The modern complement of multi-channel amplifiers that have 4, 3, 2 or 1 channel configurations and amplifier brands with "dumb" analog, DSP included, and DSP+audio network du jour models make a database even more difficult to compile accurately and maintain.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »

Snip
No doubt, it's certainly a labor of love to create and then maintain such a thing. Honestly just knowing the number of channels and max output at 2/4/8ohms would suffice. Just to be able to ballpark a few models that seem to fit and then dig deeper on your own for more detailed specs would be better than nothing.
1) Do it right

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »

No doubt, it's certainly a labor of love to create and then maintain such a thing. Honestly just knowing the number of channels and max output at 2/4/8ohms would suffice. Just to be able to ballpark a few models that seem to fit and then dig deeper on your own for more detailed specs would be better than nothing.

It's awfully nice of you to volunteer for the effort.  ;D

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 04:18:03 AM »

Current in it's infancy, but here we go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tsDvRB6u2rlZQJGPHUqpodBfmUTLuJsUC_eJI2onO1c/edit?usp=sharing

This is globally editable - just click the link and you can modify. That does open it up to abuse, but such is life. Lets see how it goes.

If you'd like to add an amplifier, add a new row and fill in the data. Should be all pretty straightforward.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 07:03:31 AM »

It's awfully nice of you to volunteer for the effort.  ;D
Chris actually beat me to the punch, but I was going to say that a publicly curated spreadsheet would remove a fair bit of legwork and maintenance along with not having to worry about hosting it. If you were keen to donate your data I'd be happy to enter it in along with a few others, I'm sure.

Current in it's infancy, but here we go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tsDvRB6u2rlZQJGPHUqpodBfmUTLuJsUC_eJI2onO1c/edit?usp=sharing

This is globally editable - just click the link and you can modify. That does open it up to abuse, but such is life. Lets see how it goes.

If you'd like to add an amplifier, add a new row and fill in the data. Should be all pretty straightforward.

Chris
Looks great, but I think it's still set to view-only based on that link (which is probably not a bad thing since it would dissuade riffraff from making spurious changes). I requested access to modify so I'll add the few amps that we have on hand to it once that is approved.
1) Do it right

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 07:09:49 AM »

Oops, it looks like I had it set for link-only viewing. You should now be able to edit.
I know it's not a particularly secure way of doing it (in terms of keeping it clean etc), but I don't want to have to moderate it.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »

Oops, it looks like I had it set for link-only viewing. You should now be able to edit.
I know it's not a particularly secure way of doing it (in terms of keeping it clean etc), but I don't want to have to moderate it.

Chris
The good thing is that as the owner you can go back and see every edit in the history of the doc, so if there were some catastrophic event it would be easy enough to roll it back to a usable point.
1) Do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.