ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe Speakers  (Read 6971 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Re: Safe Speakers
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »

I am looking at a potential project that will require a mobile setup to primarily be used in front of crowds <10yrs old.  As a father myself I know know curious and inquisitive my little ones are and want to make sure things are as safe as possible.  My question is about speaker safety.  Are all tripods created equally?  Are there better ones I should be looking at? My other thought was possibly doing a column array speaker, as all the weight is directly on the floor.  Last thing I want is someone knocking something over and getting hurt. I know that is what I have insurance for, but I also want to make sure I don’t have to use it.

Thanks!

I have a similar application at county fairs. Here is our solution. Battery operated, loud small, portable....https://www.technomad.com/products/dragonfly/

Give me a call if you have any questions.
Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN
218-749-4056

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 11:56:55 PM »

I try to avoid cable ramps for small cables (XLR and single AC runs) because cable ramps are trip hazards.   
A few years ago I was doing a music in the park gig in an affluent neighborhood and while patching things up I saw this RC car flying across the stage area.  Some local brat was using my cable ramps to launch his Tamiya.   ::)

I've been concerned with putting colored tape on tripod legs.  You could probably make a case for pointing out the "safety striping" after someone's tripped over it, but I prefer to wrap the base with a white table cloth when there's a possibility of people walking close to them.  Looks more substantial and people seem to walk around it more.  Not so "event coordinator approved" but if you ask them if they'd rather have folks tripping over it the alternative sounds better to them.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 12:50:37 AM »

I have done my share of sound work at local elementary schools, as of late it has been singer/songwriter "anti-bullying" school rallies.

On those gigs I feel that it is important to have the least amount of weight up in the air, while still covering the audience. 

I use two Bose 402 speakers w/controller, powered box mixer, 99B tripod stands (with florescent green spike tape neatly wrapped on the bottom 6" of the legs).
The 402's weight about 16lbs per cab and work quite well in school gymnasiums.   

Two years ago I used the above for a Red Grammer https://redgrammer.com/ performance at an elementary school with 500+ kids.  It worked like a charm.

I have, and could bring, way more rig, but what I have been using works well.

(Please save the Bose bashing.....)
I owned and used Bose 402 in the past. I was always pleased with their performance. I used mine with a 502BP subwoofer.
They are light for a speaker at 16lbs and feel very stable on a tripod. They would be less likely to tip over compared to most other speakers on a tripod. Even though 16lbs sound light, if they did come down, imagine being hit on the head by a bowling ball falling six feet. There is inherent risk with any speaker deployment be it a sos or a column speaker. Just the nature of the beast.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 05:47:37 AM »

I am looking at a potential project that will require a mobile setup to primarily be used in front of crowds <10yrs old.  As a father myself I know know curious and inquisitive my little ones are and want to make sure things are as safe as possible.  My question is about speaker safety.  Are all tripods created equally?  Are there better ones I should be looking at? My other thought was possibly doing a column array speaker, as all the weight is directly on the floor.  Last thing I want is someone knocking something over and getting hurt. I know that is what I have insurance for, but I also want to make sure I don’t have to use it.

Thanks!

Sub with top works well. In this case a 40lb speaker on a 140+ lb sub that can't be move by a 10 year old. 

Douglas R. Allen

David Allred

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »

FYI, it's not the toddlers that are destructive - the 13 through 18 year-olds are the worst bunch.

You mean the "I bet I can touch the very top of that speaker of there."  "That's nothing.  I bet I can touch the top with both hands flat." crowd?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »

A few years ago I was doing a music in the park gig in an affluent neighborhood and while patching things up I saw this RC car flying across the stage area.  Some local brat was using my cable ramps to launch his Tamiya.   ::)

I've been concerned with putting colored tape on tripod legs.  You could probably make a case for pointing out the "safety striping" after someone's tripped over it, but I prefer to wrap the base with a white table cloth when there's a possibility of people walking close to them.  Looks more substantial and people seem to walk around it more.  Not so "event coordinator approved" but if you ask them if they'd rather have folks tripping over it the alternative sounds better to them.

I use a white (or black) Lycra skirt on my tripods. Same effect as tablecloth but a little classier. Also, I put a rgb mini par in and can light it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »

You mean the "I bet I can touch the very top of that speaker of there."  "That's nothing.  I bet I can touch the top with both hands flat." crowd?

Exactly.  The internet is full of fail videos from this particular age group. 

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »

Thank you for all the thoughts and suggestions.  Stopped by our local av house today and we are going to try and come up with a good solution.  Definitely leaning towards a tripod system now.  I just wish they stocked snipers

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »

Don't they make a spray for that? Like Deer-away or Cat-not-scratch?

Maybe scented like a school book or soap to drive them away.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »

Don't they make a spray for that? Like Deer-away or Cat-not-scratch?

Maybe scented like a school book or soap to drive them away.

'Teen-be-gone'?
With the scent of chores.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:52:22 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.