ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe Speakers  (Read 6968 times)

David Allred

Re: Safe Speakers
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »

Yeah, but when those kids start pole dancing . . . :o

Not with my "Wasp Guardians", patent pending. ;D ;D ;D

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »

With any type of speaker on a tripod there will be a cable leading to the speaker that can be yanked, possibly bringing the speaker and tripod crashing down. Solution to this would be wireless transmission to the speaker.
That takes care of signal. What about power ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:20 PM »

That takes care of signal. What about power ?
Chris.
You are correct. There would still be the AC cord going to the active speaker on the tripod that could be yanked. The column speaker seems to be the safer option.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »

Yeah, but when those kids start pole dancing . . . :o
A tripod provides a pole for dancing and climbing on as well.
 I’d rather have a column speaker tip over versus a 40lb speaker falling from 6’

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 11:15:55 PM »

A tripod provides a pole for dancing and climbing on as well.
 I’d rather have a column speaker tip over versus a 40lb speaker falling from 6’

I don't know.  I think we're going to need a long term double blind study to see which option is better in the long run. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »

A road case that would fit the column and be able to be secured inside and some access holes for power Etc , or
Here's a crazy idea, with a little woodworking skill.
You could build a box with a locking back that just fits the column speaker with it pushed to front and secured to the bottom..
with hardware cloth across the front.
Rear lockable access for just the stuff you need to plug in and lock it back up sounds crazy but it might just work😊
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:43:23 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »

I think you need a sniper to shoot any person touching the speakers, stands, cables or accessories.  Nope, not joking.  The only person who can't get injured is a dead person.

Or get out of the production biz...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »

I think you need a sniper to shoot any person touching the speakers, stands, cables or accessories.  Nope, not joking.  The only person who can't get injured is a dead person.

Or get out of the production biz...

Yup,

See my tag line. >:(
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 10:13:05 PM »

With any type of speaker on a tripod there will be a cable leading to the speaker that can be yanked, possibly bringing the speaker and tripod crashing down. Solution to this would be wireless transmission to the speaker.

The solution I do every time is dress the cable onto the speaker pole, either by wrapping it around or taping it to the stand.  I have never seen anyone untape the cables and yank on them in the 11 years I've been doing school or corporate demo shows with children of all ages in the audience.  Tape down your cables, mark the tripod legs with brightly colored tape so as to minimize tripping and you should be just fine.  Rubber matting and/or carpeting over the cables that run through any walkways is a must.  I try to avoid cable ramps for small cables (XLR and single AC runs) because cable ramps are trip hazards. 
I've been to schools that own their own portable speaker systems and many of them just don't do basic cable management when deploying their systems (usually because their maintenance person or IT person is the one chosen to be in charge of the system and they have no clue how to do it), so chances are that whatever you do to dress your cables and stands will be well above and beyond what that school does with their system.

Downsides that I see with column speakers in this situation are -
- The controls are usually at or near ground level, leaving them within reach of anyone
- You don't have much, or any, control of how high you can set the speaker, thus possibly compromising your coverage
- If the column speaker must be deployed with a subwoofer as its base, someone will most likely use said subwoofer as a drink/food/trash table

FYI, it's not the toddlers that are destructive - the 13 through 18 year-olds are the worst bunch. 

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »

I am looking at a potential project that will require a mobile setup to primarily be used in front of crowds <10yrs old.  As a father myself I know know curious and inquisitive my little ones are and want to make sure things are as safe as possible.  My question is about speaker safety.  Are all tripods created equally?  Are there better ones I should be looking at? My other thought was possibly doing a column array speaker, as all the weight is directly on the floor.  Last thing I want is someone knocking something over and getting hurt. I know that is what I have insurance for, but I also want to make sure I don’t have to use it.
Thanks!

I have done my share of sound work at local elementary schools, as of late it has been singer/songwriter "anti-bullying" school rallies.

On those gigs I feel that it is important to have the least amount of weight up in the air, while still covering the audience. 

I use two Bose 402 speakers w/controller, powered box mixer, 99B tripod stands (with florescent green spike tape neatly wrapped on the bottom 6" of the legs).
The 402's weight about 16lbs per cab and work quite well in school gymnasiums.   

Two years ago I used the above for a Red Grammer https://redgrammer.com/ performance at an elementary school with 500+ kids.  It worked like a charm.

I have, and could bring, way more rig, but what I have been using works well.

(Please save the Bose bashing.....)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.