ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe Speakers  (Read 6980 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Safe Speakers
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »

You may want to take a good look at those before purchasing. If the column does not mount securely into the sub, you're going to be worse off than with a Tripod.

+1 on that, the Bose L1 compact for example is not at all kid proof, they would break the flimsy ass stick off that Fisher Price bass module without even trying hard. The Ip2000 system in comparison is built like a tank but even that may not survive a room full of typical 10yr olds. The other downside of these systems is all the controls are on the sub right down there at curious fingers level, I think a standard speaker on a tripod has a much better chance of being safe and surviving to fight another day, just position it out of the way somewhere where it won't be a trip hazard to those running around.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 01:03:40 AM »

I have used powered speakers on tripod stands for many years in school situations and have never had an incident where the kids have even come close to knocking over the stands.  Properly deployed (legs spread out wide), tripod stands are really solid and it would take a big push to knock over one.  Use a shotbag on each stand and it would be extremely hard to knock over.   
Tripod stands also keep controls of powered speakers nice and high, out of the reach of curious fingers. 
I could also see the plates and poles suggested in this thread to be very useful too.  Once again, a couple of shotbags on the bottom and they will be very solid. 

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:13:13 AM »

While not always available, If you can put a safety cable tether from the speaker to a wall or ceiling or truss pretty much eliminates any risk of being tipped over.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 03:51:58 AM »

If you go for an active speaker, I'd think seriously about putting a cover over the controls. If everything's going well and then Little Timmy finds the gain knob and cranks it to 11, you'll have screaming feedback (and then screaming kids) and no obvious reason why.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »

While not always available, If you can put a safety cable tether from the speaker to a wall or ceiling or truss pretty much eliminates any risk of being tipped over.

IKEA! 

I agree that a TS99 or other "real" sized speaker tripod stand is going to have a much better footprint than a top on sub type of arrangement.  I love the low profile, plate base speaker stand concept but keep in mind that it also might increase the trip hazard because the victim is less likely to see the stand base.  Taping the legs of a tripod with bright stripes makes it stand out. 

btw, be sure to lock up all the: skateboards, dirtbikes, slingshots, pocketknives, Red Ryder BB guns, superglue and magnifying glasses.  iPads are much safer and better for building life skills anyway.   ;D  (I'm just trying to make a bald social comment. No offense intended. We're all in this together.) 

Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »

There has been a lot of concern that controls are within reach if you go with a column type speaker. This isn’t so much a safety hazard but more an operational issue. It would seem that some type of cover could be fabricated to cover the controls.
With any type of speaker on a tripod there will be a cable leading to the speaker that can be yanked, possibly bringing the speaker and tripod crashing down. Solution to this would be wireless transmission to the speaker.

David Allred

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »

The trouble we go through so that improperly reared children will touch and fiddle with anything they see. 
Million dollar idea - Trained wasps.  One for each stand group.  A hand gets within 12" of any electronic controls (or mechanical safety components)... zap. 
"Hey!  A wasp just stung my kid, over there behind your speaker."
"Thanks for the warning.  I'll be on the alert when I pack up."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »

There has been a lot of concern that controls are within reach if you go with a column type speaker. This isn’t so much a safety hazard but more an operational issue. It would seem that some type of cover could be fabricated to cover the controls.
With any type of speaker on a tripod there will be a cable leading to the speaker that can be yanked, possibly bringing the speaker and tripod crashing down. Solution to this would be wireless transmission to the speaker.

Yup, and wireless power too

Just Velcro the speaker wire all the way to the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 04:40:24 PM »

Yeah, but when those kids start pole dancing . . . :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:08 PM »

There is nothing funnier than watching a full grown security guard at a Fred Penner (childrens entertainer) concert try to figure out how to keep a sea of toddlers from rushing a 12" tall stage. The poor guy didn't have enough hands to stop them all.  I think the parents were all enjoying the show too much to keep their kids under any sort of control.  Sorry for the swerve. 

To keep it on topic, the speakers were Powered tops on poles over powered subs.  JBL SRX700 series.  No one got behind them, they were all more interested in Fred and his pedalboard.  All I could do was hope that none of them pressed the illuminated power button on his supplied power bar that also ran a vocal processor (I would have lost two of the four inputs for the show). Some got very close before the big arm scooped them up.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.