ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Interface with Mic/RCA inputs and outputs  (Read 3901 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: USB Interface with Mic/RCA inputs and outputs
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »

This is why mini digital mixers like the Soundcraft mentioned below or the Behringer XR18 are really the sleeper swiss army knives of the audio business.  Excellent routing capabilities, multiple analog i/o, software programmable and repeatable settings and a complete USB audio interface all in a single relatively cheap box. 

Can't believe I just called a Behringer product excellent but there you go.

we're essentially at a place where we're paying for boxes with I/O and they throw a mixing engine in for free.  And yeah, i've had to concede to the B word at this point as well...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 02:50:04 AM »

The reason I have to use RCA is because I produce/record/stream esports events. Currently, its been rather easy because we've only had to handle one console. Now we are upgrading to switch between multiple consoles (up to 4) and also show them simultaneously. The consoles are mainly retro, so RCA is the only option that these consoles send out audio.

Get a console with inserts/direct outs (any small analogue mixer should have inserts) and a USB3/Thunderbolt interface that has the channel count you need will probably be a 16 channel unit, if there are 12 channel units then that should do but maybe larger.

You then go out of the direct outs/inserts(google how to construct the cable or ask here) into the interface. That way you have a simple to use mixer and a dedicated recording interface.

If one of the other methods above are cheaper then go with that but I'm guessing you already have a console(audio). If you are mixing in your steaming software (and recording) then you won't need the console. Keep in mind that for the UI24/XR18 type mixing consoles you will need to get a ipad/tablet/control from your PC whereas an analogue little console you can easily mix with a nice tactile interface which is useful for inexperienced people.

As a learning experience for yourself/help you understand what you want, create a signal flow diagram of the different solutions presented here.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 02:55:54 AM »

BTW you would need a Behringer UMC1820 and ADA8200 and an ADAT cable to connect the two should you want to go that way and the will do exactly what you need.

Put money into your budget for some passive DIs. There are a few threads that discus DIs that you would need, I would look at the Radial ProAV2 or maybe someone here will chime in with a cheaper option that provides the same interface idea, keep in mind that although this isn't necessarily needed it will make sure you never get any hums/buzzes which will be very likely since you are using a lot of consumer equipment.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

halhawkins

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »

Your OP stated 4 stereo RCA feeds.  That's 8 channels, plus 3 XLR mics.
The Ui24 has 10 combo jacks and 10 regular XLR, so if you use RCA to 1/4" adapters (cheap), you won't need any DIs(expensive).
It has 8 aux outs, main L&R, plus two headphone outs.
It records directly to a thumb drive as stereo or multi-track.

How does the Behringer xr18 compare to the Ui24?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:49:37 PM by halhawkins »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »

I have a pair of XR18s and no experience with the equivalent Soundcraft mixers but I can suggest that the easiet and most effective way to find out which will meet your needs is to download the software for both and see if one or the other is more effective at meeting your needs.  With these units it really is ALL about the software. 

Behringer does have a forum for users that was until recently broken down by each model of mixer but they seem to have dynamited that fairly usable format for something relatively useless.  I'd imagine Soundcraft has something similar and you may find more answers on those forums for in depth questions.

How does the Behringer xr18 compare to the Ui24?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:49:41 AM by Riley Casey »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »

There is not an app to download for the SC Ui. 
It's served directly from the Ui via your browser.
That is one thing that makes it super flexible.
IMO the Ui 'app' is the best of the bunch.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »

The lack of an off line editor for creating show files ahead of time would see to me to be a serious shortcoming although I'm sure it saved Soundcraft a bit of money on software and the inevitable updates.  Probably added a few tenths of a cent to the average Harmon investors dividend.

There is not an app to download for the SC Ui. 
It's served directly from the Ui via your browser.
That is one thing that makes it super flexible.
IMO the Ui 'app' is the best of the bunch.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 23 queries.