ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic Drop Clause  (Read 3938 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Mic Drop Clause
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

We once had a "BIG NAME" in Hollywood do a Gronk TD celebration with a wireless mic. Felt bad for the client but they ended up paying for a new unit because of someone else's lack of concern.

As a Pat's fan: "Gronk TD celebration" means that Gronk "spikes" the ball in the end-zone.

To spike a football is to slam the ball down on the turf/ground as hard as possible..

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »

As a Pat's fan: "Gronk TD celebration" means that Gronk "spikes" the ball in the end-zone.

To spike a football is to slam the ball down on the turf/ground as hard as possible..

Them lyin', cheatin' human-trafficed-sex-worker-patronizing Pats?

Bah, humbug.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »

I was doing a corporate gig for a client of mine and we busted out a brand new set of Shure Axient for it. The second run day the CEO was doing a little skit and decided to do an impromptu mic drop....... I was the A2 sitting backstage and was looking at my BSM ( video monitor used for me to see what's happening on stage ) and as I saw his hand go up I actually jumped from my chair to catch it ( as if I was going to be able to make it ) and watched on the BSM as it when thump on the stage floor. The show manager caught up to the CEO later and said" you know you only get one of those right "..... " that was a brand new $2,000 mic you just dropped that we have to send back "!!!! The CEO thought it was a hoot, before realizing what he had done. He did apologize and luckily Shure replaced it with a new unit just for safe measure after turning it in.

While I feel that it is implied that if the client breaks something they should know it will be billed to them, I guess it doesn't hurt to have a clause explaining so. I just don't know many clients that read the small print and then, of course, distribute it among the presenters that think they are being funny.

Another story: I got a new monitor because of abuse as well before. I provided gear for a show that LMFAO was doing. When I went to pick it up, one of the Brand new monitors I provided was smashed on one side. It worked but was rather mangled. After following up on it, the story was that the group decided to kick the monitors off the stage at the end of the night for " show ". I was not happy and expressed to the end client that it was a brand new unit and while it still works there is no real way to know for sure that it hasn't been compromised in such a way that premature failure is possible. The speaker box is evidently banged up so who's to say the magnet structure doesn't just pop off next week? They offered to replace it and I obliged. Now I have an odd number of monitors. If I am not mistaken, this particular unit did eventually lose the HF driver in a weird way. The coil separated from the cone. I glued it back together and it worked fine, but I replaced it with a new driver anyway. Now I have a pinch spare. No telling what caused that though. It had been almost 10 years since " first impact ".  Not exactly the best way to end up with a new unit, but if you are going to disrespect stuff, you are subject to paying for that disrespect.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »

Them lyin', cheatin' human-trafficed-sex-worker-patronizing Pats?
Yup!

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »

The biggest fish in your pond is Ray Benson ;) but he has manners and I don't see him tossing a mic anywhere, any way.

I thought everyone in Austin was "somebody" at least to themselves...

We have a show coming up with Pat Greene; is he still a rascal?  It's been 10 years since we've worked with him.

By "big fish in a small pond" I mean somebody who doesn't venture far out of said pond. Appropriately (to me), his initials are "BS".

Only trouble I've ever had with Ray Benson was while he was Emcee for an Oscars party. The gooseneck mics on the podium were set for distant micing (cause he is a tall feller), but he kept leaning down into the mics causing them to clip. Oh well, limiter caught it.

I have never met Pat Green.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Bob Stone

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:23 PM »

Another way I've looked at it is adding a "mic-drop" package to my offering. Basically a separate line item up front to cover the cost of the mic replacement in full + a smidge of overhead. If possible use something like a cheap $20 Behringer and make the package around $50, or have a "premium package" with an SM58 for $150 or so. If the mic survives, I make a little more money, if it doesn't the replacement is covered. I'd also likely throw a foam windscreen on it to deaden the thump of the landing and also knowing it was in their act I could prepare the compression on the channel accordingly.

Wouldn't work so well on a stage with a lot of mics since you couldn't reasonable tell them to drop this one but not that one, otherwise though could work well.

Art Nadelman

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »

As a point of clarification, this is for a wedding contract.  I met the couple the other day and can almost guarantee that someone in the wedding party is going to make a toast and then drop the mic.

I just want them to know how much it will cost them in advance should they do that (or damage any other equipment).  I don't currently have a clause like that in my contract and want to add it.

art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:23 PM »

As a point of clarification, this is for a wedding contract.  I met the couple the other day and can almost guarantee that someone in the wedding party is going to make a toast and then drop the mic.

I just want them to know how much it will cost them in advance should they do that (or damage any other equipment).  I don't currently have a clause like that in my contract and want to add it.

art

I think that's the key... informing the client that mic drops are considered abuse of gear and point to the line item price.

In the movies, those are prop mics; on tour they're a rental and you can bet there's a budget for extra wear and tear on the mics.  If the artist is an endorser, there is probably a box of spares.  Neither are your situation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.