ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat6 or analogue multicore in new build  (Read 2318 times)

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
Cat6 or analogue multicore in new build
« on: March 02, 2019, 06:03:35 am »

I am currently designing the spec for a renovation of a multi purpose venue.
Seating about 300 people.

This theatre will be used for both the local musical and drama society and visiting artists and drama companies.

As a visiting engineer would you rather an analogue multicore or several runs of Cat6 from mix position to the stage.

I will be soeccing an Allen heath SQ system as the in house desk

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Douglas R. Allen

Re: Cat6 or analogue multicore in new build
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 07:40:46 am »

I am currently designing the spec for a renovation of a multi purpose venue.
Seating about 300 people.

This theatre will be used for both the local musical and drama society and visiting artists and drama companies.

As a visiting engineer would you rather an analogue multicore or several runs of Cat6 from mix position to the stage.

I will be soeccing an Allen heath SQ system as the in house desk

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm sure you'll get many different idea's but as always it "depends". Will all the visiting groups/bands/BE's be ok with the Allen Heath SQ system?  I guessing you'll have enough stage boxes for the venue size.  Will these other groups from time to time be bring in their own Desk? If so will Cat6 work for every type of desk? I know the M32/X32 spec Cat5e with bonded ethercon connectors. With copper a visiting group could use their own desk with digital stage boxes at the desk location if needed so long as enough copper channels send and return with drop snakes etc. are provided.
    I don't know the size of your venue or the normal entertainment that goes through. Be sure to think long term as what is needed now and in the future. Lighting, Stage and FOH power, Main PA, monitors, fills, the list goes on and on.
   For me I'd be happy with copper as long as enough *working* channels are provided.

Douglas R. Allen

Simon Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:54:03 am »

Since it's a multipurpose venue and given the cost of (say) four runs of shielded CAT5e/CAT6 etc. with four Ethercons on a 2 gang plate either end is relatively small, I would specify both...

JR

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:52:55 am »

Drop in a couple of CAT lines. With adaptors such as the ones this company makes (it is certainly not the only provider, just the first one that came to my mind), you can easily "generate" a 4 analog lines out of every CAT cable:

https://www.cat-core.de/en

This way, you can have both, Country and Western, if the required analog channel count is not excessive. Just make sure your CAT runs are not too long for network-based formats (300ft absolute max without passive connections in-between and solid-core cable, shorter would be better).

JR

Frank Koenig

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:08:24 am »

If possible, install a couple of big, easy-to-pull conduits. Then you're somewhat future proof. Technology moves along. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber