ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi use powered cabinets  (Read 5806 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Multi use powered cabinets
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »

Specs are specs, Same thing as BS. That's why I'm asking for info on a board that I've been on for years. If you needed to replace 10 monitor/sos asap what would you buy?
That ticks all your boxes - 15" woofer, self powered, SoS socket?

JBL SRX815P.  Big.  Heavy.  Lots of output and it sounds good...

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »

JBL SRX is still my current winner. Hands down still the best all-around box you can get. Big and bulky, but a solid performer that sounds great. Networking, features and specs aside, it is a great sounding tool and is priced rather well. It gets more than loud enough for everything I have used it for.

I have been investing in RCF NX12SMA's lately. I own 6 now and another two here shortly. They sound great, get loud enough for monitors, corporate and modest rock bands, are easy to deploy ( light and small ) and are priced rather well ( talk to Mike Pyle ). The specs they have are modest I believe. I think they can actually produce the numbers they boast.

Presonus: Never have been known for speaker production. Simple as that.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 06:58:42 PM »

+1 on the RCF NX12SMA's for purpose built floor monitors.
For SOS, it's more problematic.
For both . . .
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »

You probably need to go with something like the NX45A to get the component quality of the ART500A in a wood cabinet. I imagine most people are not that familiar with the 500A, but it basically had a full wood structure skinned in plastic. About 80 lbs, full 2" horn throat with a massive compression driver, low crossover point and a BIG sound.

You can easily do better price-wise than what you see online, especially if you're buying 10 in a single order.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »

You probably need to go with something like the NX45A to get the component quality of the ART500A in a wood cabinet. I imagine most people are not that familiar with the 500A, but it basically had a full wood structure skinned in plastic. About 80 lbs, full 2" horn throat with a massive compression driver, low crossover point and a BIG sound.

You can easily do better price-wise than what you see online, especially if you're buying 10 in a single order.

I liked the NX45a I heard on a stick, never heard one on the floor as a wedge.  The thing I noticed was how consistent the H/V coverage was in the acoustic crossover, and sonically the mid was very clear.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Halligan

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »

Interesting Unsettling to see Presonus in this neck of the forum woods.

FTFY

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 03:49:59 AM »

Specs are specs, Same thing as BS. That's why I'm asking for info on a board that I've been on for years. If you needed to replace 10 monitor/sos asap what would you buy?

Rather than steering this back down the path of suggesting more boxes, between the two I'd do the DZR for several reasons:

- Bigger voice coils
- Better warranty
- Actual dual angle wedge (can be a Left or Right; can be deployed in mirrored pairs)
- Real monitor wedge angle (50º vs 30º)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 05:08:58 AM »

Personally, I'd buy some proper monitors that can be used on a stick than a speaker on a stick that can be used as a monitor.

I'm not a fan of the multipurpose speaker as monitor, I think it's too huge a compromise.

IMHO.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 07:42:00 AM »

Not too long ago,  I listened to a Personus setup (15"??) a bar-band was using.  It sounded  fine to me.  Though, not sure what was pushing the signal to it (they had an IPAD, but I never saw what "console" they were using).  According to Presonus, their speakers are actually designed by WorxAudio.

The specs on the Yamaha don't seem right.  Not sure what their "Dynamic" power means as it doesn't follow the normal power rating references.  The Presonus specs look more honest.

The DZR would look good (on a stick) with the cloth front (almost looks well suited for corporate gigs), but not sure sure I would like a cloth front for monitor applications.  The Presonus looks more viable for bar gigs and monitor use.  For the Yamaha, I would be concerned about tearing the cloth... from loading-in, loading-out and moving other gear around them.  The front seems to delicate for heavy/consistent use.

I do like Yamaha; I have the DSR15 line for smaller FOH shows and 8 passive 12" monitor speakers.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »

Personally, I'd buy some proper monitors that can be used on a stick than a speaker on a stick that can be used as a monitor.

I'm not a fan of the multipurpose speaker as monitor, I think it's too huge a compromise.

IMHO.

What do you suggest?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.