ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi use powered cabinets  (Read 5868 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Multi use powered cabinets
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »

After talking to several people I guess I'm going to throw this out for a final opinion...

Yamaha DZR15  or  Presonus ULT-15

Uses are for SOS and floor monitor applications.

Fire away...

Thanks
Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Steve Garris

Re: Multi use powered cabinets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »

After talking to several people I guess I'm going to throw this out for a final opinion...

Yamaha DZR15  or  Presonus ULT-15

Uses are for SOS and floor monitor applications.

Fire away...

Thanks
Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

One issue with the DZR on the floor is the foam is on the outside of the grill.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:54:42 PM »

One issue with the DZR on the floor is the foam is on the outside of the grill.

The photo on Yamaha's site doesn't look that way.

You sure?

How could Yamaha be so stupid?

Anybody else confirm this?

Thanks

Bob

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »

It is on the outside. It's more like a foam backed perforated fabric.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:41:44 PM »

People keep making a big deal out of the DZR grill fabric, yet based on the pictures it looks very similar to the grill material on all modern L'Acoustics boxes, which wear quite well.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »

People keep making a big deal out of the DZR grill fabric, yet based on the pictures it looks very similar to the grill material on all modern L'Acoustics boxes, which wear quite well.

That's what I thought.

Back to the topic....Comments on the ULT15 vs DZR15?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 03:26:11 PM »

I would wait a little longer on both of these before pulling the trigger. The DZR is still rather untested in the real world and the specs just don't add up. The Presonus is using a bunch of BS to sell the product. Throw eh....... Most wide coverage horns don't sound too great when off axis and the narrow vertical angle doesn't help any. Narrow coverage horns " throw " better because most of the energy is directed in a particular direction. This improves the odds that it will make it to the back of the room before it bounces off everything else. A wide horizontal angle and a narrow vertical ( which 50* isn't that narrow really for a speaker ) means that they totally negated the idea behind how and why narrow coverage speakers work well when properly deployed. Also, the very high 1.6khz crossover means that you only have that pattern control at best with frequencies above 1.6khz.

The DZR is scary with its specs. We are talking about a speaker that has a continuous power rating of 1,300 watts, has a 2" VC for the compression driver and a 3" VC for the woofer. The CD is crossed over at 1.7khz!!!! That is up there, and the specs suggest a bandwidth of 34hz - 20khz. That is really low for any speaker that is full range to produce at the levels they are stating. The peak spl spec is probably the scariest. 139db is really high for any dual element speaker especially with the power available. 2000 watts peak isn't very much. Based on the peak wattage and the peak SPL, it suggests that the speaker has a 1 watt, 1 meter efficiency right close to 109db!!!! All this at a speaker that costs roughly $1,200. Most speakers that cost 5X as much are not that efficient with dual element designs. The specs stink of BS is basically what I am saying.

The JBL SRX specs also stink of some BS, but at least a little more believable BS. I think the specs suggest that the SRX line has a 1 watt, 1 meter efficiency of 104db. This is plausible at least. The modern crop of super high output speakers are using some strange math to come to their numbers. Some are modest, some are absolute BS and some are in between the two extremes.

I would not put my faith in the Presonus just because they are not exactly known for their speaker designs. I would place a little more faith in the Yamaha, but I would not buy it for the specs, I think they are full of poop; unless we get someone on here that shows us some hard numbers. They are also both brand new offerings and I like waiting a year or so to see two things. How much steam the line picks up ( are people buying it ), and what is the attrition rate ( is it having failures or is easily damaged ).
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »

Interesting to see Presonus in this neck of the forum woods.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »

I would wait a little longer on both of these before pulling the trigger. The DZR is still rather untested in the real world and the specs just don't add up. The Presonus is using a bunch of BS to sell the product. Throw eh....... Most wide coverage horns don't sound too great when off axis and the narrow vertical angle doesn't help any. Narrow coverage horns " throw " better because most of the energy is directed in a particular direction. This improves the odds that it will make it to the back of the room before it bounces off everything else. A wide horizontal angle and a narrow vertical ( which 50* isn't that narrow really for a speaker ) means that they totally negated the idea behind how and why narrow coverage speakers work well when properly deployed. Also, the very high 1.6khz crossover means that you only have that pattern control at best with frequencies above 1.6khz.

The DZR is scary with its specs. We are talking about a speaker that has a continuous power rating of 1,300 watts, has a 2" VC for the compression driver and a 3" VC for the woofer. The CD is crossed over at 1.7khz!!!! That is up there, and the specs suggest a bandwidth of 34hz - 20khz. That is really low for any speaker that is full range to produce at the levels they are stating. The peak spl spec is probably the scariest. 139db is really high for any dual element speaker especially with the power available. 2000 watts peak isn't very much. Based on the peak wattage and the peak SPL, it suggests that the speaker has a 1 watt, 1 meter efficiency right close to 109db!!!! All this at a speaker that costs roughly $1,200. Most speakers that cost 5X as much are not that efficient with dual element designs. The specs stink of BS is basically what I am saying.

The JBL SRX specs also stink of some BS, but at least a little more believable BS. I think the specs suggest that the SRX line has a 1 watt, 1 meter efficiency of 104db. This is plausible at least. The modern crop of super high output speakers are using some strange math to come to their numbers. Some are modest, some are absolute BS and some are in between the two extremes.

I would not put my faith in the Presonus just because they are not exactly known for their speaker designs. I would place a little more faith in the Yamaha, but I would not buy it for the specs, I think they are full of poop; unless we get someone on here that shows us some hard numbers. They are also both brand new offerings and I like waiting a year or so to see two things. How much steam the line picks up ( are people buying it ), and what is the attrition rate ( is it having failures or is easily damaged ).

Specs are specs, Same thing as BS. That's why I'm asking for info on a board that I've been on for years. If you needed to replace 10 monitor/sos asap what would you buy?

James Paul

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »

Printed specs, marketing, construction & materials, pricing, and shy of any real world road test of either cabinet aside, I submit if intended for professional use that service after sale be considered.
Presonus = 6 year warranty, service @ Baton Rouge, LA
Yamaha  = 7 year warranty, service @ USA 
 https://www.yamaha.com/paragon/servicerlocator/?_ga=2.64900457.796844696.1551304562-1563154105.1551304562

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/CA_Warranties_Eng_Fra_0158971d9b07b825ff5cafd0db023af9.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.