ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi use powered cabinets  (Read 5870 times)

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Multi use powered cabinets
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »

For all the reasons previously mentioned (ergonomics, specs, warranty, cosmetics, brand reputation, value) my vote is for the Yamaha.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:26:29 AM by Steven Eudaly »

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »

After talking to several people I guess I'm going to throw this out for a final opinion...

Yamaha DZR15  or  Presonus ULT-15

Uses are for SOS and floor monitor applications.

Fire away...

Thanks
Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

If those are the only horses in the race, I'd vote for the Yamaha.  However, as was already mentioned in this thread, I also think that the RCF NX series would be a better option.  IEC connectors on floor monitors are a major nuisance and shouldn't be used on a pro stage.  The NX45 is the closest thing to what you're used to.  Almost all of the others mentioned would be a downgrade in terms of drivers.   Maybe a package of RCF NX45A and/or NX-12SMA/NX-15SMA would be ideal?  We've used and sold a bunch of the NX-12SMA's ourselves--they're great sounding, very compact, and affordably priced boxes.  The NX45A should take that quality to a new level in regard to output.  One last point, I'm a HUGE fan of co-axial speakers for monitors.  They usually lead to better and more stable GBF and are often smaller/lighter for tight stages.

We are an RCF dealer but I try to only recommend and sell products that we would be proud to use ourselves.

If cost were no object, I'd be steering you to Fulcrum Acoustic FW15's and Powersoft X series. :)

Thank you,

Jeff

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »

If those are the only horses in the race, I'd vote for the Yamaha.  However, as was already mentioned in this thread, I also think that the RCF NX series would be a better option.  IEC connectors on floor monitors are a major nuisance and shouldn't be used on a pro stage.  The NX45 is the closest thing to what you're used to.  Almost all of the others mentioned would be a downgrade in terms of drivers.   Maybe a package of RCF NX45A and/or NX-12SMA/NX-15SMA would be ideal?  We've used and sold a bunch of the NX-12SMA's ourselves--they're great sounding, very compact, and affordably priced boxes.  The NX45A should take that quality to a new level in regard to output.  One last point, I'm a HUGE fan of co-axial speakers for monitors.  They usually lead to better and more stable GBF and are often smaller/lighter for tight stages.

We are an RCF dealer but I try to only recommend and sell products that we would be proud to use ourselves.

If cost were no object, I'd be steering you to Fulcrum Acoustic FW15's and Powersoft X series. :)

Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff, why get the 15" over 12". Our old RCF boxes were 15. But looking at the specs (for what they are good for) The 12" keeps up to the 15" pretty well.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »

What do you suggest?

EAW Microwedge 12/15 or d&b M4/Max2.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 09:39:07 AM »

Jeff, why get the 15" over 12". Our old RCF boxes were 15. But looking at the specs (for what they are good for) The 12" keeps up to the 15" pretty well.

My monitors have always been 12".  I suggested the 15" versions just to get closer to what you have been using.  If you don't need the additional low-end of the 15", I would go for the 12" every day.

Jeff

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »

or d&b M4/Max2.

Is there a big difference in real-world use between the M4 and Max2? I've been slowly transitioning my university's inventory over to d&b - wedges are next on the list. Specs seem fairly comparable, and of course price is always a factor, so the cheaper one (Max2) will likely win out unless there is a good reason to spend the extra $$.

This would be to replace JBL JRX's (which are terrible) - we are a university that rarely sees big name shows come through, so it's more everyday use with a variety of student musician type concerts and lots of corporate style work, and then the once or twice a year B level band that comes through; that said, we care about quality and take pride in our work (thus d&b)!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 04:14:58 PM »

Is there a big difference in real-world use between the M4 and Max2? I've been slowly transitioning my university's inventory over to d&b - wedges are next on the list. Specs seem fairly comparable, and of course price is always a factor, so the cheaper one (Max2) will likely win out unless there is a good reason to spend the extra $$.

We bought 12x Max2s in the summer of 2016 when they were still a very new box. Touring folks consistently think they're M4s. When the d&b applications people came for our in-house training, when first hearing the Max2, one of them even commented something along the lines "there's going to be some people upset they spent extra for the M4."

My only two gripes about the Max2s are 1) they are 6 lbs heavier and 2) the handles are not meant for one-handed carry. We power them with D20s and they absolutely rip. Everyone loves them.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »

This would be to replace JBL JRX's (which are terrible) - we are a university that rarely sees big name shows come through, so it's more everyday use with a variety of student musician type concerts and lots of corporate style work, and then the once or twice a year B level band that comes through; that said, we care about quality and take pride in our work (thus d&b)!

Max2 can be used with any amp so M4 could be more reliable over the years since you have to use a d&b amp for it.
M4 is also louder and a bit more stable when things go to «11»

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.