ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPL Mapping  (Read 1222 times)

Duane Frank

SPL Mapping
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:15:12 am »

I work at a convention center. I would like to prepare SPL maps for the various event spaces in the venue. Since we work with various brands of PA I'm trying to keep away from any manufacturer's mapping software.

Any recommendation on how I could go about this? Does anyone have any of their SPL maps I could use for some reference?

I also wonder if any software could provide elevation and top views.

Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA

Mal Brown

Re: SPL Mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:46 am »

One recommendation I can make is... please change your user name to your actual name...  it is one of the criteria that you agreed to when you signed up. 

Thanks!
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Duane Frank

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:35:21 am »

One recommendation I can make is... please change your user name to your actual name...  it is one of the criteria that you agreed to when you signed up. 

Thanks!

Noted!

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 03:31:52 am »

So like manufacturer independent prediction software!?
If yes then ease focus is your friend.
You do however have to have ease files for your specific loudspeakers but there are quite a few included in their database so you might get lucky.
Not all manufacturers have this data available for download.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H635 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:37:27 am by Joe Pieternella »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:41:03 pm »

What is your purpose for these SPL maps? How do you intend to use them and what information do you want to convey with them?

Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Robert Healey

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:26:25 am »

I work at a convention center. I would like to prepare SPL maps for the various event spaces in the venue. Since we work with various brands of PA I'm trying to keep away from any manufacturer's mapping software.

Any recommendation on how I could go about this? Does anyone have any of their SPL maps I could use for some reference?

I also wonder if any software could provide elevation and top views.

Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA

Are you talking about a map for indoor or outdoor venues?

If you are using this to try to determine how loud an event will be or how it will impact adjacent spaces - most software, especially software from manufacturers, only maps direct sound. Direct sound mapping gives you a loudspeaker coverage and a good designer can use it to design an intelligible sound system. If you are looking for how loud a room will actually get (with direct + reflected sound) or you want to get quantifiable intelligibility information, you will need an acoustical model that includes all the room surfaces and materials properties, not just a loudspeaker model. EASE and some other software can do this, but it is more complex.

If you want a brand-agnostic software for direct sound mapping, EASE Jr. should do what you need. It has a steep learning curve, however, and it is easy to set up the software in a way that looks correct but is actually giving you bad information. I would recommend AFMG's training if you intend to learn how to use it.

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 06:24:23 pm »

Another piece of software that would do this is CATT Acoustic, but its expensive and its main role is room acoustic modelling for auditoria. I use it in my job as acoustic consultant.

It can use multiple sound sources and you can import loudspeaker data using the CLF (common loudspeaker format) information.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duane Frank

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:35 am »

So like manufacturer independent prediction software!?
If yes then ease focus is your friend.
You do however have to have ease files for your specific loudspeakers but there are quite a few included in their database so you might get lucky.
Not all manufacturers have this data available for download.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H635 met Tapatalk

YES! I was very inclined towards EASE focus just have had no experience with the software. Thankfully all our models are on the EASE database   8)

Duane Frank

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 12:31:20 am »

What is your purpose for these SPL maps? How do you intend to use them and what information do you want to convey with them?

Ideally I would like to have pre determined positions for future events and be able to foresee the coverage patterns and if it would suit the event's requirements (since I would be working with only a fixed set of event spaces).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 09:32:40 am »

Ideally I would like to have pre determined positions for future events and be able to foresee the coverage patterns and if it would suit the event's requirements (since I would be working with only a fixed set of event spaces).
So, if I am reading this correct, you plan on telling the provider where to put their gear and how to aim it?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 09:32:40 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.