ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble pulling the trigger  (Read 8228 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: Trouble pulling the trigger
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 02:49:26 AM »

FPGA’s are fast. The x32 uses them as well.

I must be slow, since my x32 faders are faster than I am.

SQ responds faster, both because it’s FPGA, and its faders move faster. These result in quicker operation during critical moments.

And this is based on...?
SQ has lower failure rate.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 02:59:35 AM »

I have found that many inexperienced people don’t know how to properly use the extensively available settings for the dynamics and therefor never tries to use it to scuplt a sound.
To the point the stock sounds better than the X32 (IMO)

To prove my point above - Why not try the ‘mix’ parameter to blend the dry/wet signal in the compressor.
and you are able to do parallel compression on every channel, which I do not believe the X32 can do (unless there is an option I haven't found).

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:26 PM »

Moot point, but I just got word that A&H will have a promo starting 3/1 involving SQ mixers and free ME-500s. They should post details HERE when they are ready to announce it.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Fred Dorado

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 12:29:05 AM »

well that stinks.

I still have my eye on those 1203's, just wish I could hear them, rent them, something.

Mostly wish I knew they could handle whole band and low end. I think they have enough output and coverage from the videos I have seen, but trying to get something without subs

Moot point, but I just got word that A&H will have a promo starting 3/1 involving SQ mixers and free ME-500s. They should post details HERE when they are ready to announce it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
SQ vs X32
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 04:18:14 PM »

I meant to post these earlier. OP might have decided already, but this might be helpful to other members/lurkers.

I compiled these for a client who was considering x32, m32, and sq series. They went with sq series.

Forgive my rudimentary explanations on sound quality. You can achieve a great mix on any console. The sound quality of the console is trivial compared to the mix person. That said, there is an obvious difference between the different consoles. Whether that is good or bad is up for discussion ;)

----

While you look at prices and features I want to encourage the 'buy once cry once' mentality. I think upgrading to the Midas M32 or Allen & Heath SQ6 boards will be well worth the additional initial investment. The Behringer gear is great for the price, but I'd rather see something that lasts in your church for the next 10 years.

Personally & professionally my suggestion is to go with the SQ6, it has much more future potential. You could do the upgrade in stages to help curb costs or cut back on the number of personal mixers and use the phone app instead.

I attached a facebook discussion on the M32 vs SQ6. While you do your research I encourage reading through that and joining the M32/X32 & SQ facebook groups to learn more!

In the end, both are powerful consoles and have a ton of great features and there will be night and day difference in your sound and mixing capabilities going from an analog board to digital.

Behringer Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Cheap
Sounds worse compared to Midas
Sounds much worse compared to A&H

Midas Pros:
10yr warranty
Easy to use
Cheaper personal mixers
Fully mature
Large FX selection

Cons:
Older console
Replacement coming out next year

A&H Pros:
Much higher sound quality
Easy to use
Newer
Great future ahead
Touchscreen

Cons:
More Expensive
Low warranty

---

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r1u5ph2dsscsms/SQ%20vs%20M32%20Discussion%20Facebook%20A%26H%20SQ%20Users%20Group1.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2u2zpozyui6gfw/SQ%20vs%20M32%20Discussion%20Facebook%20A%26H%20SQ%20Users%20Group2.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud4grcm2836s4rd/SQ%20vs%20M32%20Discussion%20Facebook%20A%26H%20SQ%20Users%20Group3.pdf?dl=0
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »

Forgive my weary ears...

It has been mentioned a couple of times now that the x32 ”sounds worse” than pretty much everything else. Please enlighten this ’fanboi’(?) what you actually are talking about so that I might learn...

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »

Forgive my weary ears...

It has been mentioned a couple of times now that the x32 ”sounds worse” than pretty much everything else. Please enlighten this ’fanboi’(?) what you actually are talking about so that I might learn...

Forgive my rudimentary explanations on sound quality. You can achieve a great mix on any console. The sound quality of the console is trivial compared to the mix person. That said, there is an obvious difference between the different consoles. Whether that is good or bad is up for discussion

Forgive my trying to distill the technical details of sound quality differences between products down to layman's terms in order to describe differences.

Forgetting the technical aspects and going by opinions...It is well documented that people perceive/enjoy the differing sound "quality" of the M32 to the X32 (and their stage boxes). It has been demonstrated that the SQ exhibits a similar difference when compared to the Behringer/Midas offerings which most attribute to being "better."
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:32 AM »

So it is a “vinyl sounds better than cd” kind of thing?

But is this with all in neutral (eq, dynamics, etc...) or when you start to turn the knobs where things start to differ?

What I’m thinking/wondering is if it has anything to do with the e.g. different bell-shapes of the eq curves compared to other consoles...? I usually prefer the VEQ to the PEQ setting in the x/m-mixers due to the different bell shape that is more ssl(?) like. I’ve always wanted VEQ to be the default eq.

An interesting test would be to insert f.ex. a waves channelstrip on a couple of different consoles that can do this via soundgrid, dante or similar. Doing this right then the only variable would be the analog in/out stages. This would show if the mixer dsp processing is the main factor or not.

Forgetting the technical aspects and going by opinions...It is well documented that people perceive/enjoy the differing sound "quality" of the M32 to the X32 (and their stage boxes). It has been demonstrated that the SQ exhibits a similar difference when compared to the Behringer/Midas offerings which most attribute to being "better."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:59:37 AM by Robert Lofgren »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:32 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.