ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: analog video camera signal to newer macbook pros  (Read 3305 times)

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
analog video camera signal to newer macbook pros
« on: March 01, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »

More and more i'm being asked to record video from the pit camera (view of the conductor) along with my usual audio recordings....all my gear has been updated to new thunderbolt macs / owc thunderbolt docks  and AJA and blackmagic boxes but i can't get the analog video signal to the blackmagic/aja ...it needs sdi and i just can't seem to find an elegant way/adaptors to get this done..blackmagic /AJA boxes feed in sdi and output hdmi (can the mac even receive hdmi? or is this just an output?).....so likely not the right tools, so what is the right tool that doesn't cost 600$?

In the past i've gone to external dvd..but this machine is not available anymore...

thanks

Ray

Taylor Hall

Re: analog video camera signal to newer macbook pros
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »

So the pit camera is SDI? Want to make sure I'm interpreting it right.

What you really need is a capture device to interface with one of your macs, sadly they can't accept video directly. BM makes a thunderbolt box that should work, pretty sure it takes both SDI and HDMI input so you'd be good no matter what. There are other options too like an elgato or other capture device popular with youtube/twitch streamers, but really anything like that will cost you about the same ($150ish) no matter who you go with.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

RaySoly

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »

So the pit camera is SDI? Want to make sure I'm interpreting it right.

What you really need is a capture device to interface with one of your macs, sadly they can't accept video directly. BM makes a thunderbolt box that should work, pretty sure it takes both SDI and HDMI input so you'd be good no matter what. There are other options too like an elgato or other capture device popular with youtube/twitch streamers, but really anything like that will cost you about the same ($150ish) no matter who you go with.

Hi Taylor, pit camera is analog ...

Ray

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »

Hi Taylor, pit camera is analog ...

Ray
Ahhhh, now the wheels are grinding along properly. I do know that BM (along with a slew of others) also makes a component (RBG) to SDI converter. What kind of output connection is on your camera?
And perhaps a better question all around, is there anything preventing the pit camera from being upgraded to something that has digital outputs?
1) Do it right

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »

More and more i'm being asked to record video from the pit camera (view of the conductor) along with my usual audio recordings....all my gear has been updated to new thunderbolt macs / owc thunderbolt docks  and AJA and blackmagic boxes but i can't get the analog video signal to the blackmagic/aja ...it needs sdi and i just can't seem to find an elegant way/adaptors to get this done..blackmagic /AJA boxes feed in sdi and output hdmi (can the mac even receive hdmi? or is this just an output?).....so likely not the right tools, so what is the right tool that doesn't cost 600$?

In the past i've gone to external dvd..but this machine is not available anymore...

thanks

Ray

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »

And perhaps a better question all around, is there anything preventing the pit camera from being upgraded to something that has digital outputs?

Not trying to hijack the thread but a comment and a couple of questions;

Maybe I just have not found the right one but so far I have found no suitable digital cameras digitally distributed to monitors that have low enough latency for musicians to use the conductors image and be in proper time.
Have you found a solution?
What latency/delay?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »

Not trying to hijack the thread but a comment and a couple of questions;

Maybe I just have not found the right one but so far I have found no suitable digital cameras digitally distributed to monitors that have low enough latency for musicians to use the conductors image and be in proper time.
Have you found a solution?
What latency/delay?

Lee
I'm not aware of any outside of obscenely expensive broadcast setups. I only mention adding a digital camera since this would make it easier for his use case of needing to record that video feed. The production cast could continue to use the analog system for the performers to view the conductor.
1) Do it right

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »

I'm not aware of any outside of obscenely expensive broadcast setups. I only mention adding a digital camera since this would make it easier for his use case of needing to record that video feed. The production cast could continue to use the analog system for the performers to view the conductor.

Understood.  Just wanted ask for other specific needs.

Thanks,
Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »

thanks

Ray

If you can already handle SDI then you just need an analog to SDI converter.  Blackmagic and AJA make them amongst others.  The can be configured to do component as well as composite with various other options.  It’ll cost you a little but not too much.  Otherwise there are capture options that have composite or component on them native that you can use.  The analog to SDI might be preferable so that you can convert right at the camera then run a SDI line to your capture rig a ways away.

RaySoly

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »

That's basically what we're facing..we have digital systems for every other need except for the conductor.....I've communicated with AJa as we have several boxes from them but they suggest more expensive units as the V2Digital box and a 995$ Io box...https://www.aja.com/family/io

the Blackmagic  https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity seems to be the only product suitable for now...

thanks

Ray

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.