ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I was watching the Oscars last night....  (Read 2275 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
I was watching the Oscars last night....
« on: February 25, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »

....and (among other performers) there was a country duo that did an acoustic tune.

When the cameras got in close it looked like SM57's were being used to mic the guitars....

Did anyone else notice?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:44:09 PM by Mike Monte »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: I was watching the Grammy's last night....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »

was that last night, who won?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »

....and (among other performers) there was a country duo that did an acoustic tune.

When the cameras got in close it looked like SM57's were being used to mic the guitars....

Did anyone else notice?

All I noticed was that it was the Oscars and Queen opened it. Brian May still ROCKS!!

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:43:29 PM »

All I noticed was that it was the Oscars and Queen opened it. Brian May still ROCKS!!

You are right...it was the Oscars...my bad. 
(All of these award shows lined up this time of year kind of run into each other in my mind...)

regarding Queen: it looks like they still had the original guitarist (he was good) and drummer (also good).

I find it quite amazing that my two college-age kids know Queen's hits....and most of the lyrics....
Queen's hits are a staple on the college-party scene it seems... 

Queen sounded great!

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »

You are right...it was the Oscars...my bad. 
(All of these award shows lined up this time of year kind of run into each other in my mind...)

regarding Queen: it looks like they still had the original guitarist (he was good) and drummer (also good).

I find it quite amazing that my two college-age kids know Queen's hits....and most of the lyrics....
Queen's hits are a staple on the college-party scene it seems... 

Queen sounded great!

We are the Champions and We Will Rock you are staples in the minor sports leagues up here. AC/DC is played a lot as well.

I've called last night's show The Grammys a few times today. Maybe they should combine all award shows into one and drop the speeches and the multitude of announcers. It would probably only last an hour or 2. I always record them and skip all the filler.

Eric Snodgrass

Re: I was watching the Oscars last night....
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »

Answering Mike's question -
Yes, those were SM57s.  The artists insisted on them.  They were also singing into their own, 20-year-old SM58s. 

How do I know this?  I worked the show. 

And yes, Queen did sound great!  They brought their own backline, mics, stands, IEMs, wireless mics/packs, drum wedges and power cables (all the gear was 220v). 
They used the production's SD7 for monitor mixes and SD5 at FOH.  Brian May's three VOX cabinets on the floor were double-miced with each cabinet getting a Sennheiser MD421 and what appeared to be a side-address ribbon mic (I didn't get the name or model number of it). 
As for the drums, all tom mics and the kick were Telefunken (the FOH mixer was switching from an Audix D6 on the kick to the Telefunken).  Snare was an Audix I5.  Overheads were c414s. 
The bass rig was also miced with a Telefunken top-address mic with which I am unfamiliar. 

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »

[...] and power cables (all the gear was 220v).  [...]

I love seeing British camlocks in North America; connect blue to blue and black to black and see how much magic smoke comes out!

-Russ

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »

I love seeing British camlocks in North America; connect blue to blue and black to black and see how much magic smoke comes out!

-Russ
Luckily they didn't have to bring camlocks, distros or feeder.  They just had to bring three huge UPS units that converted the power from 60Hz to 50Hz.  Saunders Electric, the power provider for the event, provided them the 220v power and put the band on their own transformer. 

Les Kanekuni

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »

Did anyone else notice?

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Thought it a bit odd.  Didn't sound terrible.  Didn't sound great either.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.